Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 15 2009, 05:24 PM   #1
T'Baio
Admiral

Wolverine DVD on shelves today...

...and I don't even want it.

I even bought X-Men 3. But Wolverine is just too horrible for me to spend my money on. Even as a huge Wolverine fan, even as a completist. It's just that bad.

This makes me sad.
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2009, 05:27 PM   #2
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar
Re: Wolverine DVD on shelves today...

So is Doctor Who: The Next Doctor. But that, I do want.
Old September 15 2009, 05:30 PM   #3
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Worse then Elektra???
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2009, 05:36 PM   #4
The Evil Dead
Vice Admiral

View The Evil Dead's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Evil Dead

One thing about this transitional period between SD DVDs and higher resolution content like BluRay DVDs and 720p/1080p direct downloads (over iTunes store or Xbox Live for example) is it's prevented me from buying a lot of garbage I would've bought 3 or 4 years ago but these days...Well, I certainly don't need a Wolverine BluRay, and there's no point in buying a regular DVD so.... Money saved, I guess!
Old September 15 2009, 06:53 PM   #5
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

Wolverine, the only character who has ever had 4 origin stories in the span of 10 years!

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2009, 07:18 PM   #6
LutherSloan
Fleet Captain

I'll rent it, because I never bothered to see it in theaters.

I see they are already spoiling the surprise Patrick Stewart appearance in the TV trailers for the DVD.

Expand Medicare for All!!
LutherSloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2009, 08:05 PM   #7
nx1701g
Admiral

LutherSloan wrote: View Post

I see they are already spoiling the surprise Patrick Stewart appearance in the TV trailers for the DVD.
And Storm, and Cyclops, and Gambit...
Old September 15 2009, 08:16 PM   #8
Skywalker
Admiral

Meh, I haven't bought an X-Men DVD since that X-Men Collection (containing X-Men and X2) came out prior to The Last Stand.

I might rent Wolverine at some point, but I'm not in much of a hurry.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2009, 08:21 PM   #9
the Dagman
Commodore

I haven't seen it. It is supposed to come in the mail today from Netflix. But I doubt I will be buying a copy for my collection.
Old September 16 2009, 01:07 AM   #10
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

The TV spots pretty much spoil the whole movie. I have no interest in buying this or renting this. Might ask my friend to make a copy for me or just borrow his. He enjoyed the film when we went to see it.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2009, 01:33 AM   #11
Bad Bishop
Vice Admiral

nx1701g wrote: View Post
LutherSloan wrote: View Post

And Storm, and Cyclops, and Gambit...
Does this DVD have a different version of the film, including scenes with little Ororo?
Old September 16 2009, 01:38 AM   #12
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

The Evil Dead wrote: View Post
One thing about this transitional period between SD DVDs and higher resolution content like BluRay DVDs and 720p/1080p direct downloads (over iTunes store or Xbox Live for example) is it's prevented me from buying a lot of garbage I would've bought 3 or 4 years ago but these days...Well, I certainly don't need a Wolverine BluRay, and there's no point in buying a regular DVD so.... Money saved, I guess!
Ditto for myself. I even walk past the $5 DVD bin now when I go to Walmart. I've seen the quality difference and I just don't think it's worth it anymore to buy DVDs, even discounted.

J.
"If you'd come today you would've reached a whole nation. Israel in 4 B.C. had no mass communication. " - Judas, Jesus Christ Superstar
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2009, 05:55 AM   #13
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

I picked it up today. I didn't see it during it's theatrical run so it was all new to me. I enjoyed it. It was a fun little action flick. Certainly not the travesty so many fans have made it out to be.

It might be the fact that I know exactly jack and shit about the comic book character that allowed me to enjoy the movie. None of the changes hurt me any because I didn't know they'd been made in the first place.

I have no regrets. I got what I wanted out of the flick.

Personally I thought with all the bitching and hyperbole flying around this place about Wolverine that it was going to be Terminator 4 awful. It wasn't. Not by a loooong shot.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2009, 08:14 AM   #14
Thrall
Commodore

Meh. It was about as good as any Wolverine movie could be. Shame they had to drag Deadpool down into mediocrity with him.
Old September 16 2009, 10:04 AM   #15
the Dagman
Commodore

Okay, I just finished watching the film for the first time and it leaves me with the same impression of most of the opinions on films I see in this forum: you people don't know what you are talking about.

I haven't really been a huge fan of the X-Men movie franchise. I mean, I have enjoyed them for what they were. But the little things like Logan being about a foot and a half too tall were always a big siren call that this wasn't the X-Men from the comics. So I did my best to put aside that criticism during this film. Being that this was his fourth time playing the role, okay, time to let that go. Also a big complaint I had about the first three was that they were basically Wolverine movies with a little X-Men thrown in for bad measure. This time there were no illusions. It was meant to be a Wolverine movie and that is what it was, and I can accept that.

My conclusion about this movie? I found that this movie is the best one out of ALL the X-Men films so far. Sure. I wish the ending would have been better, and I have never liked Deadpool being that he is a sucky Rob Liefield creation. But the movie up to the end sequence had me pretty engrossed and entertained. Definitely not what you would call Oscar material, but the most Oscar material isn't my cup of tea either. I look for movies that can entertain me, and this one did by and large. I'd give it a B-.

So, given the movie opinions of the people on this forum being general opposite of my own, I expect I will really like the Star Trek movie when it comes out on DVD as well. Yes, that was another one I have missed. And, lucky me, another one I have managed to avoid virtually all spoilers for.