Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old October 8 2009, 10:45 PM   #91
Kirkman1987
Commodore

Re: Halloween Costume Thread!

Okay, I've decided on a TWOK costume. I just ordered this off EBAY.

Kirkman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2009, 10:52 PM   #92
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Ugh...I ordered a NuTrek gold shirt from Saratoga Depot (anyone ever hear of them) and it arrived today. It was a small, because I am a small guy and I can not find the smalls in any store. Anyway, there was a very noticeable mark/stain right in the center of the shirt (also, oddly, one the sleeves was noticibly darker than the rest of the shirt).

Now, it is looking that I have to send it back (probably have to pay for shipping top). I hope they have another small and I get it by Halloween.

Update: I emailed the company. They are going to send me a brand new one, free of charge. And, get this, they are letting me keep the old one! Saratoga Depot, good people.

Last edited by Team Broccoli; October 9 2009 at 05:28 AM.
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2009, 10:32 PM   #93
UssGlenn
Captain

I Got A Rock wrote: View Post
I suppose if I could get the one that is a bit too small and stretch the hell out of it. Then I can remove the top flap, but I don't have faith enough in my sewing skills to fix up the tear that would be made.
How about a mini-binocular case? Just tuck the flap inside. Mine's a Bushnell
Old October 15 2009, 02:03 AM   #94
AstroSmurf
Vice Admiral

What? People aren't posting about their costumes!? For shame!

Well I have something to post: my completed pants. I had almost finished them a couple of weeks ago but I found some new pictures that showed the knee detail a little better. So I ripped out the seams, redid the ribbing, added a another seam I had missed and presto! They are now almost an exact copy of the ones seen in the movie. I even pulled off the belt loops and dyed the little buggers so they were the correct charcoal grey. The only issues with them is the buttons on the back pockets and a seam above the rubbing that I was forced to put in. (The image below doesn't do them justice. The flash makes the seaming look a lot brighter than it actually is.)

Here is a picture:

And an example of the actual movie pants:

And I am currently working on the chest delta insignia. I am making her, from scratch, from sheet styrene. Then it is on to finishing the shirt. I hope to post more pictures very very soon!

Anyone else have anything?

“Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.” ~ The Doctor

Last edited by SantaSmurf; October 15 2009 at 02:15 AM.
AstroSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2009, 02:08 AM   #95
JonathonWally
Admiral

View JonathonWally's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to JonathonWally Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JonathonWally

FrankenSmurf wrote: View Post
The only issues with them is the buttons on the back pockets and a seam above the rubbing that I was forced to put in. (The image below doesn't do them justice. The flash makes the seaming look a lot brighter than it actually is.)
Can I make a comment about hoping someone gets close enough to your pants to notice this discrepancy?

But seriously bro, you've got mad skills, I'm envious, I'm still working on my glove/gauntlet things. I've almost figured out this sewing machine.
Are you hearin me, like I'm hearin you?
JonathonWally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2009, 02:13 AM   #96
AstroSmurf
Vice Admiral

^ You can say what ever you want.

And sewing machines are like driving a car, very simple once you get the hang of it.

“Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.” ~ The Doctor
AstroSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2009, 03:07 PM   #97
TrekkieMonster
Commodore

I really want to learn to sew. There are so many things I'd love to be able to do. Not necessarily "complicated" stuff like clothing, but relatively simple things like curtains or a bed for my pooches.

I was in the fabric store last weekend shopping for pieces for my Halloween costume, and I was amazed how inexpensive fabric can be. It cost me $1.58 for 2 yards of blue fabric for the cape of my UnderDog costume. I was amazed.

Maybe that should be a winter project: turn in the table saw for a sewing class.
Old October 15 2009, 03:08 PM   #98
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Sewing for those kinds of projects is not at all difficult. You could easily teach yourself and then work up from there.

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2009, 04:19 PM   #99
Kestra
Vice Admiral

FrankenSmurf wrote: View Post
^ You can say what ever you want.

And sewing machines are like driving a car, very simple once you get the hang of it.
Sewing is one thing I am completely disastrous at. I actually was such a remedial sewing student that I had to get a boy to help me in class, and then had to stay after school every day because I was just so awful and slow. I managed to sew a button back onto a shirt this year and I was overjoyed.

If I ever have a great deal of free time, I'd love to get a sewing machine and just keep practicing until I'm not stitching things to my fingers, but that would take me way too long right now.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2009, 05:19 PM   #100
Data Holmes
Admiral

I've never had an occasion where I could actually wear such a costume. You guys all have amazingly cool costumes.
Old October 15 2009, 05:56 PM   #101
TrekkieMonster
Commodore

thestrangledcorpse wrote: View Post
^Sewing for those kinds of projects is not at all difficult. You could easily teach yourself and then work up from there.
So I've been told.

Many, many years ago, my girlfriend (back when I dated girls ) tried to teach me. We "made" a blanket for my car. All I had to do was sew the satin binding (I think that's what it was called) along the top and bottom edges of a big piece of fleece.

The result was not pretty.

If I'd been driving a car, instead of a sewing machine, I would have been pulled over for DUI, what with the weaving and speeding up and slowing down.

I was scarred for life.

But, 20 years later ..., I just might be able to give it another try without having immobilizing flashbacks.

Oh, the horror! The horror!
Old October 16 2009, 11:21 PM   #102
Major Chord
Choir Boy Extraordinaire

I'll probably wear the same costume I wore last year to any parties that I go to...I was a priest. When I wear it this year, I'll probably fasten the collar to the robe, and cinch it up a bit so it fits better.

I've always wanted to be a starfleet officer...maybe sometime in the future...
Old October 17 2009, 08:14 AM   #103
Tom Riley
Commodore

View Tom Riley's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Tom Riley Send a message via Yahoo to Tom Riley

I've had NO luck whatsoever with finding a spiderman costume

So this week I'm probably going to go grab the stuff to do Phantom makeup, and go get the costume. It's gonna look really good if I can pull it off how I want to. I'll see about posting pictures before halloween, I'm going to a halloween dance on the 29th so I should have pics then.
Tom Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2009, 06:31 PM   #104
RoJoHen
Awesome

Tom R.I.P. wrote: View Post
When all else fails, find some toddler pajamas:

Old October 17 2009, 07:00 PM   #105
TrekkieMonster
Commodore

RoJoHellspawn wrote: View Post
Tom R.I.P. wrote: View Post
When all else fails, find some toddler pajamas:

I am officially holding you responsible for the nightmares I expect to be having tonight.