Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old October 8 2009, 01:15 AM   #76
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Re: Halloween Costume Thread!

FrankenSmurf wrote: View Post
Here my first pictures of the costume in progress: the utility belt.

For this first piece I have used a police gun belt (rumor has it this is the exact same belt they used in the movie) and the holster from the Playmates Mission Belt toy set. The phaser and communicator I purchased individually. (The phaser and communicator that come with the Mission Belt do not function.) I also added some belt keepers next to the phaser. Mine matches the movie version very very closely! I just need to paint the back plate of the communicator holster black and it will be finished.

I am still working on the pants. Once I have them finished I will post pictures of them.
Very nice. I am trying to make a utility belt that can hold the TOS phaser and communicator. It's been proving...difficult.
Old October 8 2009, 02:51 AM   #77
AstroSmurf
Vice Admiral

^ What are you finding difficult? Is it the holsters?

“Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.” ~ The Doctor
AstroSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2009, 02:57 AM   #78
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

The TOS uniform didn't have holsters--they put big Velcro strips on the back of the comm and side of the phaser, and stuck them on to matching strips on the pants.
Old October 8 2009, 03:19 AM   #79
AstroSmurf
Vice Admiral

^ That is correct but he may be doing something special. For all we know he could be mixing universes/timelines/genres/characters. I went to a party once where some dude dressed up as a Klingon Blues Brother. It was awesome. You never know how people are going to mix and match. (And I for one don't want to squelch anyone's creativity! It makes things much more fun.)

“Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.” ~ The Doctor
Old October 8 2009, 03:26 AM   #80
Kira's Mom
Fleet Admiral

View Kira's Mom's Twitter Profile

Holy crap. That Borg costume is awesome!
Old October 8 2009, 03:31 AM   #81
AstroSmurf
Vice Admiral

^ Damn. I completely missed it! Excellent though. I love the spark plugs you sneaked in there.

Old October 8 2009, 04:03 AM   #82
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Yeah, mostly. I have a paintball handgun holster that I am using for the TOS phaser. The communicator one I am having problems with. There isn't a good pouch that I can find that I like that is the proper size.

Ghoul Malakai wrote: View Post
The TOS uniform didn't have holsters--they put big Velcro strips on the back of the comm and side of the phaser, and stuck them on to matching strips on the pants.
^ That is correct but he may be doing something special. For all we know he could be mixing universes/timelines/genres/characters. I went to a party once where some dude dressed up as a Klingon Blues Brother. It was awesome. You never know how people are going to mix and match. (And I for one don't want to squelch anyone's creativity! It makes things much more fun.)
Yeah, I am mix and matching. Assuming it arrives and properly fits, I am wearing a NuTrek uniform, but am using TOS tech (mainly because I like the look of it better than the NuTrek tech).

I'll make sure to take a pic and post it to show what I have so far.

BTW, a Blues Brother Klingon sounds awesome.
Old October 8 2009, 04:20 AM   #83
AstroSmurf
Vice Admiral

^ And when asked why he was alone, the Blues Brother Klingon said that he had killed his partner because he had "dishonored the memory of the great warrior John Belushi."

Have you tried finding a pocket holster for a cellphone, specifically something wide like a Blackberry? I would think that it would be large enough to hold the DS Communicator. If not, you could always make your own out of some black canvas. It would be two pieces of fabric and one seam. Very simple, like sewing a pocket.

Old October 8 2009, 04:52 AM   #84
UssGlenn
Captain

I Got A Rock wrote: View Post
Yeah, mostly. I have a paintball handgun holster that I am using for the TOS phaser. The communicator one I am having problems with. There isn't a good pouch that I can find that I like that is the proper size.
Have you looked at compact digital camera pouches? I have one made by Lowepro that fits my communicator perfectly. They don't make my model anymore but, it's a very common size. This assumes you don't mind completely enclosing the communicator when it is on your belt, it's safer that way.
Old October 8 2009, 04:58 AM   #85
Tom Riley
Commodore

View Tom Riley's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Tom Riley Send a message via Yahoo to Tom Riley

I made a promise to a friend of mine that I would be spiderman, since she is being venom, and our friend chris is being carnage... but I don't really want to be spiderman... So far we haven't been able to find me a spiderman costume, and if we can't within the next week, I'm going to be the Phantom of the Opera. I'm even going to do the makeup for under the mask... I've got my fingers crossed that we can't find any spiderman costumes!

That Borg costume is amazing!
Tom Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2009, 05:10 AM   #86
AstroSmurf
Vice Admiral

If you can find the Spiderman costume with the muscle suit that might alleviate some the anxiety about wearing the costume. (I wouldn't be caught dead in just the spandex version. I am beginning to show my age and things are not exactly where they are supposed to be anymore. And this coming from someone who used to dance in a cage for beer money in college.)

UssGlenn wrote: View Post
Have you looked at compact digital camera pouches? I have one made by Lowepro that fits my communicator perfectly. They don't make my model anymore but, it's a very common size. This assumes you don't mind completely enclosing the communicator when it is on your belt, it's safer that way.
Excellent. I hadn't thought of that.

Old October 8 2009, 05:34 AM   #87
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

UssGlenn wrote: View Post
I Got A Rock wrote: View Post
I did, actually. I checked Wal-Mart to see what they had. They had one that was a little too big and another that was a little too small. Ideally, I would want one were it fits comfortably and the top is exposed for easy access (yes, yes, I know...it's just a toy. Mr. Spock isn't going to "really" be calling me).

I suppose if I could get the one that is a bit too small and stretch the hell out of it. Then I can remove the top flap, but I don't have faith enough in my sewing skills to fix up the tear that would be made.
Old October 8 2009, 05:41 AM   #88
Tim
Vice Admiral

Well, I started in earnest on my T-1000 costume last weekend. I found some nice black dress slacks at Target for $20 and ordered a black "close enough" utility shirt that unfortunately won't ship until the 15th.

I pinched some papier mache from a co-worker and am trying to mold some bullet hits that I can spray-paint and sew onto the costume. I'll try to get a picture or two up once the papier mache dries.
Old October 8 2009, 04:43 PM   #89
CmdrAJD
Commodore

View CmdrAJD's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to CmdrAJD

I don't normally dress up, but this year we're going to a Halloween party at my in-laws' house. I ended up buying a Rorshach costume. That way, since I'll be out of town and around a bunch of people I don't know, it will be perfectly in character for me not to say much except "Hrmmm."

http://www.star-traks.com
CmdrAJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2009, 08:46 PM   #90
Tom Riley
Commodore

View Tom Riley's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Tom Riley Send a message via Yahoo to Tom Riley

If you can find the Spiderman costume with the muscle suit that might alleviate some the anxiety about wearing the costume. (I wouldn't be caught dead in just the spandex version. I am beginning to show my age and things are not exactly where they are supposed to be anymore. And this coming from someone who used to dance in a cage for beer money in college.)
Oh I'm 20, spandex isn't a problem for me at all. I just would rather a costume that I am actually interested in. Spiderman is HER thing, not mine. I don't want to waste a halloween on something I'm not into.

Beginning to show your age? The fairy costume was last year you said, correct? You look like a young, in-shape guy to me... I don't think spandex would be as much of a problem as you think.

Last edited by Tom Riley; October 8 2009 at 08:57 PM.
Tom Riley is offline   Reply With Quote