Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old October 3 2009, 11:12 AM   #16
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher
Re: Halloween Costume Thread!

trekkieberserker wrote: View Post
Brukk wrote: View Post
The extent of my costume is just my name change and avatar. Sadly don't have the time for Halloween nor do I know anyone celebrating it around here :/ I really should just go over to the US on Halloween at some point.
That's actually not a bad idea!!! -Let's have a big Halloween T-BBS meet-up party somewhere in the US someday
I'm up for it as long as I have the money
Old October 3 2009, 01:50 PM   #17
AstroSmurf
Vice Admiral

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
I love it tsq! The Mighty Minnie Mouse and your new "sailor" idea are fabulous.
that's DANGER MOUSE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrM0E9pag8E

It was a joke. You see I named all of the other mice and didn't mention "Danger"... get it? (And how could I forget that when the amazing hot sexy DangerMouse is my bestest BBS friend ever! )

“Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.” ~ The Doctor
AstroSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2009, 02:16 PM   #18
TrekkieMonster
Commodore

Fun thread. I must admit I've never been big on dressing up for Halloween in my adult life. The last time I did, I dressed as Jason from "Friday the 13th" to hand out candy to the kidlings ... and made so many of the cry I had to take off the costume.

But, this year we're going to be on a Caribbean cruise for Halloween, and we understand that they make a big deal of it on the ship and, for some reason, I'm really getting into it this year. But, I'm trying to think of something that'll be easy (and light weight) to pack and maybe, but not necessarily, has a "cruisey" or ocean theme. I had thought of going as Steve Irwin with the Stingray stinger sticking out of my chest ... but I was told that would be in "poor taste."

Poor taste? It's frickin' Halloween! I thought it was about poor taste.

The Hubby just got back from Oktoberfest in Munich and is going to wear his lederhosen and hat, and is a little miffed that I'm reluctant to don a wig and dirndl to match. St. Paulie Girl, I ain't.

Likewise, he didn't like my idea of dressing as Gilligan and The Skipper. I think that was mostly because we're both built more like The Skipper than Gilligan.

I'll post something once I figure it out.
Old October 3 2009, 04:22 PM   #19
AstroSmurf
Vice Admiral

^ How about Bert and Ernie? If that doesn't float your boat (sorry for the pun) how about Batman and Robin (or The Joker) or Harry Potter and Dumbledore or a couple of nuns or Caesar and Brutus.

If you don't insist on going dresses as a pair, how about doing classic horror characters like Frankenstein and Dracula or the Mummy and Wolfman. And speaking of classic, how about characters from literature. One could do King Arthur and the other could go as Jay Gatsby or something like that.

“Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.” ~ The Doctor
Old October 3 2009, 04:38 PM   #20
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I'm considering going as a lazy twenty year old in a bathrobe. Good idea?
Old October 3 2009, 04:50 PM   #21
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

I finally picked my costume for the year:

Guybrush Threepwood from Monkey Island 2. I just need to pick up a wig and I am all set.
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2009, 07:29 PM   #22
TrekkieMonster
Commodore

FrankenSmurf wrote: View Post
^ How about Bert and Ernie? If that doesn't float your boat (sorry for the pun) how about Batman and Robin (or The Joker) or Harry Potter and Dumbledore or a couple of nuns or Caesar and Brutus.

If you don't insist on going dresses as a pair, how about doing classic horror characters like Frankenstein and Dracula or the Mummy and Wolfman. And speaking of classic, how about characters from literature. One could do King Arthur and the other could go as Jay Gatsby or something like that.

I've been trying to get him to do Bert and Ernie for YEARS!!!!

I love the idea of the classic horror movie characters, but I think the accoutrements might be a bit much to pack with all the cruise paraphernalia. But, I VERY much appreciate the great suggestions.

Jay Gatsby, on the other hand .... That might be do-able!

I was also thinking of just wearing the tux I'll wear for formal night, augmented with a little "dead makeup" and an inflatable life ring with "Titanic" printed on it. But, I was told that probably wouldn't be appreciated on a cruise. Some people are still a bit sensitive, I guess.

Hmmm ..., although your post has got my mind thinking ..., I could do the same basic thing, add a cape and some fangs from a party store, maybe a "sash" of some kind, and be Dracula. That might just work!!! LOL! Except that, because I'm bald, I'd need a wig.
Old October 4 2009, 12:34 AM   #23
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

C'mon, that Titanic costume is brilliant! Do that!
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2009, 12:51 AM   #24
MetalPants
Rear Admiral

Zombie costumes are always fun and easy. Just some ripped up work clothes and a little bit of makeup.

For work this year, I'm either going to be a zombie or the Joker, and that night I'm going to go full demon so I can win some contests.
Old October 4 2009, 12:52 AM   #25
Ruaidhri
Commodore

View Ruaidhri's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ruaidhri

This is my favorite of any Halloween costume I've worn:

I was Zorro last year, and Darth Vader the year before.

I'm hoping to either find or create a sheep costume this year.
Ruaidhri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2009, 01:08 AM   #26
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

It's been 30 years since I was in costume.

I remember it well...I was 9 years old, my sister made me a very nice (and quite authentic) Superman costume. Ordinarily I would have had a lot of fun trick or treating. But it was so utterly cold and windy and freezing-rainy that it totally ruined my whole night. I only went out at all because I didn't want to make my sister think she'd gone through all that trouble for nothing.

Ever since then I have been totally uninterested in anything linked to Halloween. It's not personal - I didn't mean to become Hallo-Scrooge or whatever. But for me, Halloween = Almost Freezing My Ass Off, and you never forget that...

Lately, the closest I ever get to a costume of any kind - trying to pretend I'm something I'm not - is the Twins T-shirt my dad got for me this year. And that was only because I wanted a souvenir from the Metrodome.

Smurf, assuming that's your real hair in the Jekyll/Hyde pic, here's an easy idea for a costume: Just get a Tigers jersey. Then you could go as Mark Fidrych.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2009, 01:21 AM   #27
AstroSmurf
Vice Admiral

^ That is not my real hair. It is a shoulder length brown wig pulled back into a pony tail with my own hair worked into the front to make it look natural. In actuality I am a red blond and I keep it short. I did wear it long like that a decade ago though. And I am hoping you mean Mark Fidrych when he was young. He looks rather rough these days.

And Ruaidhri that is so darn cute! I would make a crude udder joke but I will be a gentleman and keep it to myself.

Old October 4 2009, 01:26 AM   #28
ancientone51
Rear Admiral

TrekkieMonster go as Thurston Howell III...still a Gilligan theme, bit the snappiest dresser.

"What f*cking reincarnated royal bug did I step on to earn this?" - Per my insane daughter.
ancientone51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2009, 01:29 AM   #29
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

FrankenSmurf wrote: View Post
. And I am hoping you mean Mark Fidrych when he was young.
Yeah, that was my intention. That's why they called him 'Bird', because of his hair (i.e. Big Bird).

He looks rather rough these days.
Indeed, especially since he's *dead* and all that...
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2009, 01:34 AM   #30
UssGlenn
Captain

Just finished finding all the pieces today. A friend of mine going as Jake.