RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,546
Posts: 5,421,948
Members: 24,804
Currently online: 409
Newest member: comicstar100

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: The STAR WARS cast...
The cast didn't matter...it would have been great with other actors 1 11.11%
The cast played an important part..would have not been a big without them 5 55.56%
I will ponder this, with my finger on my chin...in a Jedi kind of way. 3 33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 1 2009, 05:23 PM   #1
RobertScorpio
Pariah
 
Location: San Diego
Sign my cast..please

Have you ever wondered whether a movie is good because of the script/writing..directing..or does it come down to cast. Now, I have heard, over the years, these were other actors/actresses considered for Star Wars New Hope...

Jan Michael Vincent as Luke
Nick Nolte as Han
Jamie Lee Curtis as Leah
Peter Otool as Ben

Now..if those four had been casted, with the same script, same director, same everything except these four were in the movie instead of the performers that were, would the movie have been as big of a hit????

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2009, 06:16 PM   #2
ManOnTheWave
Rear Admiral
 
ManOnTheWave's Avatar
 
Location: ManOnTheWave
Re: Sign my cast..please

The cast is important because they had chemistry. I don't know if small children the world over would have liked Han Solo as played by Christopher Walken, wise old Obi Wan played by Mifune Toshiro (who wasn't so hot at speaking English), or C3PO with the voice of Richard Dreyfus trying to be a sleazy con man. (Walken auditioned. Mifune was first choice and Lucas had no chance of getting him. Dreyfus was referred by Spielberg I think. Or maybe it was the other way around.) I think it would have faded like a lot of dreck that tried to copy it.
__________________
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

Last edited by ManOnTheWave; October 1 2009 at 06:30 PM.
ManOnTheWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2009, 06:22 PM   #3
The Comedian
Captain
 
The Comedian's Avatar
 
Re: Sign my cast..please

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
Have you ever wondered whether a movie is good because of the script/writing..directing..or does it come down to cast. Now, I have heard, over the years, these were other actors/actresses considered for Star Wars New Hope...

Jan Michael Vincent as Luke
Nick Nolte as Han
Jamie Lee Curtis as Leah
Peter Otool as Ben

Now..if those four had been casted, with the same script, same director, same everything except these four were in the movie instead of the performers that were, would the movie have been as big of a hit????

Rob
The problem with George Lucas is that he's a special effects guy. When it comes to getting decent performances out of actors, Lucas is THE worst director in Hollywood (and that includes the porn directors).

So no matter the cast, if the director only cares about the special effects, it doesn't matter who's in the movie...the result is going to be the same.

Now a Star Wars with a different director...that would be interesting.
__________________
The American Dream? You're looking at it.
The Comedian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2009, 06:24 PM   #4
RobertScorpio
Pariah
 
Location: San Diego
Re: Sign my cast..please

The Comedian wrote: View Post
RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
Have you ever wondered whether a movie is good because of the script/writing..directing..or does it come down to cast. Now, I have heard, over the years, these were other actors/actresses considered for Star Wars New Hope...

Jan Michael Vincent as Luke
Nick Nolte as Han
Jamie Lee Curtis as Leah
Peter Otool as Ben

Now..if those four had been casted, with the same script, same director, same everything except these four were in the movie instead of the performers that were, would the movie have been as big of a hit????

Rob
The problem with George Lucas is that he's a special effects guy. When it comes to getting decent performances out of actors, Lucas is THE worst director in Hollywood (and that includes the porn directors).

So no matter the cast, if the director only cares about the special effects, it doesn't matter who's in the movie...the result is going to be the same.

Now a Star Wars with a different director...that would be interesting.
But he directed Star Wars New Hope. And i think its the second best of those Star Wars movies (barely behind ESB)...and with all the grief he gets about his movie direction, all deserved for his later Wars movies, he did direct Star Wars and American Graffiti.and I liked both those movies...

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2009, 07:09 PM   #5
The Comedian
Captain
 
The Comedian's Avatar
 
Re: Sign my cast..please

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
The Comedian wrote: View Post
RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
Have you ever wondered whether a movie is good because of the script/writing..directing..or does it come down to cast. Now, I have heard, over the years, these were other actors/actresses considered for Star Wars New Hope...

Jan Michael Vincent as Luke
Nick Nolte as Han
Jamie Lee Curtis as Leah
Peter Otool as Ben

Now..if those four had been casted, with the same script, same director, same everything except these four were in the movie instead of the performers that were, would the movie have been as big of a hit????

Rob
The problem with George Lucas is that he's a special effects guy. When it comes to getting decent performances out of actors, Lucas is THE worst director in Hollywood (and that includes the porn directors).

So no matter the cast, if the director only cares about the special effects, it doesn't matter who's in the movie...the result is going to be the same.

Now a Star Wars with a different director...that would be interesting.
But he directed Star Wars New Hope. And i think its the second best of those Star Wars movies (barely behind ESB)...and with all the grief he gets about his movie direction, all deserved for his later Wars movies, he did direct Star Wars and American Graffiti.and I liked both those movies...

Rob
But a lot of people would say that "The Empire Strikes Back" was the best of the bunch...and that was NOT directed by Lucas.
__________________
The American Dream? You're looking at it.
The Comedian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2009, 08:29 PM   #6
caisson2delta
Captain
 
caisson2delta's Avatar
 
Location: The South of Florida
Re: Sign my cast..please

I personally believe those roles were meant for those actors. If there had been alternatives, they may have worked, but not how we see it some 30 years later. Would the story have been the same, probably yes. I don't think that the message of the movie would've been any different or any less entertaining, but could anyone else have played Han Solo or Luke?
caisson2delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2009, 09:12 PM   #7
Mistral
Vice Admiral
 
Mistral's Avatar
 
Location: Between the candle and the flame
Re: Sign my cast..please

I think young George was a fair director. Graffiti is a great movie with many good performances. Star Wars took a bunch of unknowns and made them household names-and nobody would have paid them any mind if it was just about the effects. Carrie Fisher endeared herself to America and Ford, well, what's not to love? And George got those performances out of them. Calling him the WORST director in Hollywood is a blanket statement that fails to take the facts into account.
__________________
...sf fandom is only a personality disorder if you do it right.-Klaus
http://www.adastrafanfic.com - archive stories! www.4rumboys.com for honest gaming

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.