RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,686
Members: 24,830
Currently online: 406
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 30 2009, 03:09 PM   #1
23skidoo
Admiral

Prisoner remake to air in November on AMC

AMC has announced it will air the 6-hour Prisoner remake over 3 consecutive nights on Nov. 15, 16, 17.

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethe...comment-665703

If anyone hasn't seen it yet, the story links to the 9-minute, spoiler-heavy trailer for the show.

Alex
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2009, 03:13 PM   #2
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: Prisoner remake to air in November on AMC

Any trailer over two minutes long is bound to have spoilers, so I tend to stay away from those...

AMC has been running both the original series and a shorter behind-the-scenes featurette on their video on demand service leading up to the new series...
Old September 30 2009, 03:20 PM   #3
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

Yeah, I'll just as soon avoid that trailer.

I am honestly curious to see how this goes. It's got a slim chance in my mind of actually being decent.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2009, 03:41 PM   #4
Kegg
Rear Admiral

barnaclelapse wrote: View Post
Yeah, I'll just as soon avoid that trailer.

I am honestly curious to see how this goes. It's got a slim chance in my mind of actually being decent.
Well, AMC hit it out of the park with Mad Men, so I'm willing to be cautiously optimistic. Also, The Prisoner isn't just a fantastic series, it's the sort of series whose political implications could easily translate into a remake. Back then it's the Cold War, today, War on Terror. Conceptually it writes itself.

Which is to say, on paper, remaking The Prisoner is a better idea than remaking Battlestar Galactica. So yeah, I'm willing to give this a try.
Old September 30 2009, 04:29 PM   #5
Ceridwen
Commodore

The mini-series looks intriguing, but one aspect that looks like something of a let-down to me is the casting of Jim Caviezel as Number 6. Caviezel is certainly talented enough, but one of the things that was so entertaining about the original series was McGoohan's sometimes manic performance. There were moments when he seemed just as off his rocker as anything else in The Village, and even in the lesser episodes of the show, he was always fun to watch.
Ceridwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2009, 04:59 PM   #6
23skidoo
Admiral

Ceridwen wrote: View Post
The mini-series looks intriguing, but one aspect that looks like something of a let-down to me is the casting of Jim Caviezel as Number 6. Caviezel is certainly talented enough, but one of the things that was so entertaining about the original series was McGoohan's sometimes manic performance. There were moments when he seemed just as off his rocker as anything else in The Village, and even in the lesser episodes of the show, he was always fun to watch.
I agree, however looking at the trailer I think part of the reimagining is that it'll be Number Two - Ian McKellen - who will be handling the quirkiness factor. That's probably a good thing because we don't really want someone doing a McGoohan impersonation anyway.

I've seen enough of the trailer to tell that I think this hits a lot of the right notes. And I have a theory that I won't mention here, but if it pans out this will be something to see, indeed.

I'd actually have lower expectations if this was being made by a mainstream network or Syfy or even HBO. But this is AMC, and as noted they're raking up the awards for stuff like Mad Men, and they also helped make the BBC's Hustle series a reality. I also like the fact that I'm not sensing any sort of "yeah we know the original sucks, so we're doing it better" attitude which I have often come across with regards to reimaginings and remakes (including to a degree BSG). The original series in this case is held in very high esteem, and I think that's raising the bar for this remake. And while 6 hours is a lot less than the original's 17, it's a lot better than 100-120 minutes which is what the often-threatened theatrical film would have had to tell the story. And it's one more than Torchwood: Children of Earth, which was mind-blowing.

I guess we'll find out in a couple of months how things turn out. If nothing else, it's getting the original series into the public eye again, including a completely unexpected (and, if you believe some technophiles, supposedly impossible) Blu-Ray release.

Alex
Old September 30 2009, 05:00 PM   #7
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

I hope it is either streamed online or can be purchased from iTunes.
Old September 30 2009, 05:52 PM   #8
Harvey
Admiral

I'm looking forward to this, although Caviezel definitely has big shoes to fill. McGoohan's performance in the original was just so...insane. It looks like Caviezel went in a far different direction, which is probably for the best, but let's see if it works.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2009, 06:38 PM   #9
Ceridwen
Commodore

23skidoo wrote: View Post
And while 6 hours is a lot less than the original's 17...
To be fair, the original was only supposed to be 7 hours. This would have included "Arrival," "Dance of the Dead," "Free For All," "Checkmate," "The Chimes of Big Ben," "Once Upon a Time," and "Fall Out." Fortunately, it went on a bit longer than that, since some of my favorites are not in that number ("The Schizoid Man" especially) and some I consider weaker are (something about "Dance of the Dead" never really clicked with me, for example).

If nothing else, it's getting the original series into the public eye again, including a completely unexpected (and, if you believe some technophiles, supposedly impossible) Blu-Ray release.
I can't wait to see this. Why is it supposedly impossible, though?
Ceridwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2009, 06:46 PM   #10
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Anyone heard when this will be on ITV? I hope it's not too far behind the US broadcast.
Old September 30 2009, 06:47 PM   #11
DarkHorizon
Captain

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
Anyone heard when this will be on ITV? I hope it's not too far behind the US broadcast.
There's a feature in SFX this month - it says 2010 for UK broadcast.
Old September 30 2009, 07:21 PM   #12
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

DarkHorizon wrote: View Post
Fuck ITV then.
Old September 30 2009, 10:28 PM   #13
23skidoo
Admiral

Ceridwen wrote: View Post

To be fair, the original was only supposed to be 7 hours. This would have included "Arrival," "Dance of the Dead," "Free For All," "Checkmate," "The Chimes of Big Ben," "Once Upon a Time," and "Fall Out." Fortunately, it went on a bit longer than that, since some of my favorites are not in that number ("The Schizoid Man" especially) and some I consider weaker are (something about "Dance of the Dead" never really clicked with me, for example).
That is very true, and I'm glad you brought this up. So in some respects the new series could, theoretically be even closer to McGoohan's original vision. I remember reading in one of the books on the show that ITC even wanted to do a second season in which Number 6 basically returned to being a secret agent, only doing missions on behalf of the Village (the Do Not Forsake Me episode was a trial run of this idea).

If nothing else, it's getting the original series into the public eye again, including a completely unexpected (and, if you believe some technophiles, supposedly impossible) Blu-Ray release.
I can't wait to see this. Why is it supposedly impossible, though?
This relates to a recurring debate over whether old TV shows can be released in high-definition without essentially having everything replaced with CG. This relates to the Trek Remastered controversy, where the attitude seemed to be the only way for TOS to ever be released in high-def would be to redo all the special effects and music tracks ... yet then Paramount went and put the original, virtually unaltered episodes on the new BluRay sets, in HD.

With The Prisoner I believe it's even more unexpected because -- and somebody correct me because my facts may be wrong -- I believe it was shot in 16-mm. And I've been told to my face that it's physically impossible to remaster 16-mm to High def (which is one reason why no one's holding their breath at ever seeing the original The Avengers or early Doctor Who on Blu-Ray - though the introduction of the VidFire remastering process might have recitified this situation to a degree, reducing the reliance on original kinescopes and 16mm film transfer of videotaped episodes). Maybe The Prisoner was shot in 32-mm, though. I'm pretty sure it was 16, though. It's one reason why the A&E DVDs look less than pristine.

DarkHorizon wrote: View Post
Now folks in the UK will know how us folks in Canada and US feel when our broadcasters drag their feet in showing things like Doctor Who and Merlin.

That said, it's pretty stupid of ITV to do this considering its key demographic will just download the thing a few days after it airs on AMC. I continue to be amazed that broadcasters still think its 1995 and that viewers are willing to wait months, years even, for shows to be broadcast after they've aired in one part of the world.

With any luck the SFX article will prove to have outdated info and ITV will follow BBC America's lead with Children of Earth and show The Prisoner around the same time or within a few weeks (which is more reasonable a wait than a few months) as the US broadcaster.

Alex
Old September 30 2009, 10:43 PM   #14
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

^We've always known what it feels like, until recently we've had to wait months for all American shows to air here.
Old September 30 2009, 11:39 PM   #15
Harvey
Admiral

23skidoo wrote: View Post
This relates to a recurring debate over whether old TV shows can be released in high-definition without essentially having everything replaced with CG. This relates to the Trek Remastered controversy, where the attitude seemed to be the only way for TOS to ever be released in high-def would be to redo all the special effects and music tracks ... yet then Paramount went and put the original, virtually unaltered episodes on the new BluRay sets, in HD.
As far as I know, and from what I've seen, The Prisoner (1967) was shot on 35mm, not 16mm. IMDB supports the idea that it was shot and edited on 35mm. As for re-creating the visual effects, as was done for TOS, I'm not sure The Prisoner had many (or any) visual effects that would need to be redone for an HD version. Most of it seemed to be practical to me, though I've only seen the series once.

As for the debate over TOS, you're vastly oversimplifying the issue, but much of the 'controvery' is over minutia that most people couldn't give a damn about.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote