Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 5 2009, 03:32 AM   #46
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile
Re: Zombieland

I really enjoyed this movie. It took a while for the laughs to start, but it was worth it.
Old October 5 2009, 05:22 AM   #47
Thrall
Commodore

Harvey wrote: View Post
I wouldn't describe the Romero films as simplistically as that. It can be debated whether or not Night of the Living Dead has overt themes about race relations all day, but the themes about consumerism in Dawn of the Dead, conservative government in Day of the Dead, and the age of Youtube in Diary of the Dead make those films a little more complex than the formula they use to accomplish their messages.
Yeah, but that's not what I was getting at. Just about every zombie movie sticks to a plot formula. Rarely have I ever seen any zombie film not break the formula that I mentioned. Zombieland was different in that it broke the formula.
Old October 5 2009, 05:33 AM   #48
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Loved this flick. Tons and tons of fun.
Old October 5 2009, 07:04 AM   #49
davejames
Vice Admiral

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
I really enjoyed this movie. It took a while for the laughs to start, but it was worth it.
Really? The audience I was with was cracking up from the beginning, with the fat guy trying to outrun the zombie.

I thought the whole introduction with the kid laying out his survival rules was hilarious.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2009, 09:52 AM   #50
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I didn't think it could be done...but Star Trek has been knocked off its throne and been replaced by Zombieland as my favorite film of 2009 and that's saying a lot for me since I am not a big fan of them. This movie though is different...it's a buddy flick and a romantic comedy disguised as a zombie movie! The zombies are almost secondary in the movie. I loved everyone in the movie. I loved how it was shot, how it looked, the score, the script, and the acting were all brilliant. I'm getting the DVD for this when it comes out. I hope there's a score released too.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2009, 10:21 AM   #51
Aragorn
Admiral

^ So if the next Star Trek movie were to be a comedy involving zombies, would you be in heaven?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2009, 04:57 PM   #52
Crash
Vice Admiral

Loved this, btw. Definitely worth seeing.

That said, I hope one day someone releases a zombie movie based entirely on a 24 hour news network. Something about the idea of CNN or Fox covering the destruction of the United States and the world in a zombie apocalypse as it happens just strikes me as immensely entertaining.
Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2009, 05:23 PM   #53
davejames
Vice Admiral

Crash wrote: View Post
Loved this, btw. Definitely worth seeing.

That said, I hope one day someone releases a zombie movie based entirely on a 24 hour news network. Something about the idea of CNN or Fox covering the destruction of the United States and the world in a zombie apocalypse as it happens just strikes me as immensely entertaining.
Lol, I'm sure if that did happen FOX would find a way to blame the democrats for it, and MSNBC would find a way to blame the republicans.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2009, 07:30 PM   #54
Harvey
Admiral

Thrall wrote: View Post
I wouldn't describe the Romero films as simplistically as that. It can be debated whether or not Night of the Living Dead has overt themes about race relations all day, but the themes about consumerism in Dawn of the Dead, conservative government in Day of the Dead, and the age of Youtube in Diary of the Dead make those films a little more complex than the formula they use to accomplish their messages.
Yeah, but that's not what I was getting at. Just about every zombie movie sticks to a plot formula. Rarely have I ever seen any zombie film not break the formula that I mentioned. Zombieland was different in that it broke the formula.
Fair enough, although I'm curious, have you seen Fido? It certainly breaks from the forumla you mention.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2009, 09:01 PM   #55
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

Really funny movie. I was pretty impressed actually with the filmmaking itself. Well directed, very polished, good effects, etc.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2009, 09:11 PM   #56
Thrall
Commodore

Fair enough, although I'm curious, have you seen Fido? It certainly breaks from the forumla you mention.
No, but I've heard it's pretty good.
Old October 5 2009, 09:24 PM   #57
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

I had been thinking lately how a certain genre of movie no longer existed. Genre films with a strong comedic tone. Though not parodies. Where there are likable, fun characters and a comedic sensibility but the genre elements are treated mostly seriously. There were a lot of movies like this when I grew up in the 80s.

There are others but the clearest examples of this genre were Back to the Future and Ghostbusters.

I think Zombieland is the closest too that type of movie I have seen in along time.

Last edited by Dick Whitman; October 6 2009 at 07:34 AM.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2009, 10:43 PM   #58
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

You're right about the formula; broadly speaking, the zombie genre can be called the Harlequin of horror movies. At the same time, however, I just so love the premise of the zombie film that I would gladly watch a dozen that were only variations on the 'begraddled survivors hole up and fight zombie' theme. There's something about the basic idea, the basic plot, that makes me empathize with the characters and get immersed in the story every time without fail. I've never met a zombie film I didn't like, other than Jesus Camp (a little too scary); even zombie movies I know to be objectively terribly made, I love watching them, bad acting, idiotic plotting, crummy effects and all.

This film, however, didn't have those; like I said, I'm hardly objective, but this was a top-notch zombie movie. I loved the repartee, I loved the one-off zombie gags speckled throughout, and I even liked the happy if not sappy ending. The cameo didn't work for me--I've never found him funny, honestly--but the rest was quite entertaining. Tallahasse needs a spin-off franchise, or his own comic book, maybe. I'd watch it.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Old October 5 2009, 11:53 PM   #59
T'Baio
Admiral

Donald Draper wrote: View Post
I had been thinking lately how a certain genre of movie no longer existed. Genre films with a strong comedic tone. Though not parodies. Where there are likable, fun characters and a comedic sensibility but the genre elements are treated mostly seriously. There were a lot of movies like this when I grew up in the 80s.

There are others but the clearest examples of this genre were Back to the Future and Ghosterbusters.

I think Zombieland is the closest too that type of movie I have seen in along time.
I think Evolution may have killed the concept for awhile.
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2009, 12:58 AM   #60
ladyheather69
Captain

Saw it on Friday afternoon. Loved it! Both DH and I thought it was hysterical! Loved the look of it, the 'feel' of it. Looking forward to getting it on DVD

(think maybe we should get a zombie smilie....)