RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,905
Posts: 5,330,732
Members: 24,558
Currently online: 603
Newest member: laurah2215

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 26 2009, 11:01 PM   #46
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: Everyone leaves L&O:CI?!

What really annoys me is when a series is set in Seattle, but filmed in Vancouver (or LA, or elsewhere). Pasting the space needle on the skyline or overusing the same stock footage doesn't make the series look like Seattle. Millennium managed to get by because they allowed for it to rain so much on the series, but it still could have just as easily been set in Vancouver with no harm done to the narrative.
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2009, 11:06 PM   #47
Aragorn
Admiral
 
Aragorn's Avatar
 
Re: Everyone leaves L&O:CI?!

Laser Beam, when Billy Crystal made 61, Yankee Stadium no longer looked like the Yankee Stadium of old so they had to use another stadium that looked like a classic ballpark. Is that enough to boycott the movie? Or were you in fact the one who did boycott the movie when I mentioned that fact?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2009, 11:10 PM   #48
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: Everyone leaves L&O:CI?!

I haven't seen 61*. The crew shot in Tigers Stadium, in Detroit, according to IMDB. But, then again, they shot in that stadium (heavily re-dressed, with digital enhancements) because it was closer to old Yankees Stadium than the new one. So I don't understand your point.
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2009, 11:15 PM   #49
Aragorn
Admiral
 
Aragorn's Avatar
 
Re: Everyone leaves L&O:CI?!

Sorry, added who I was posting to in my post.

And the worst Seattle offender has to be Grey's Anatomy -- the Space Needle on one side and the Pike Place Market sign is on the other. Is the hospital 2-3 miles long?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2009, 11:18 PM   #50
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: Everyone leaves L&O:CI?!

I don't know if Grey's Anatomy is the worst offender. They've been out here on location a few times, and their mastery of the geography goes beyond "hey, there's the space needle!"

I hear all the movie Firewall did was paste the Space Needle onto the Vancouver skyline. Then again, that's more than Stargate SG-1 could bother when they "went" to Seattle. Canada was in on the Stargate project by the ninth season. There's no reason they couldn't have gone after Ba'al in Vancouver. Hell, give the city a shout-out. At least the X-Files bothered to go to Vancouver once.
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2009, 12:27 AM   #51
nx1701g
Admiral
 
nx1701g's Avatar
 
Location: Aboard the Executor...
Re: Everyone leaves L&O:CI?!

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Sorry, added who I was posting to in my post.

And the worst Seattle offender has to be Grey's Anatomy -- the Space Needle on one side and the Pike Place Market sign is on the other. Is the hospital 2-3 miles long?
Yeah I'd heard about that.
__________________
Not Dead Yet.
nx1701g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2009, 12:34 AM   #52
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Everyone leaves L&O:CI?!

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Laser Beam, when Billy Crystal made 61, Yankee Stadium no longer looked like the Yankee Stadium of old so they had to use another stadium that looked like a classic ballpark. Is that enough to boycott the movie? Or were you in fact the one who did boycott the movie when I mentioned that fact?
I've never seen that film either. But I suppose if it was absolutely impossible to shoot in the real Yankee Stadium, then they get a free pass.

That being said: As I read, extensive use of CGI was involved in that scene. They added a third deck, a Bronx skyline, and a whole lot of crowd. So if they're going to go through all that trouble, certainly a tiny amount of CGI alteration to the *real* Yankee Stadium would have also been possible?

Hell, they could have just added the frieze and called it solved - it would have been no less, and perhaps actually more, authentic than what actually was done (since obviously Tiger Stadium and Yankee Stadium never looked anything alike). I mean, without having seen it, I can't judge, but what did it actually look like? In Tiger Stadium, there was no view of the outside - the second deck was all the way around. OTOH, in Yankee Stadium (both old and new), you could plainly see the 4 train beyond the outfield wall, complete with view of the city. Did they add that too? And as I said, if they're going to use all that CGI to do it, then surely it would have been less expensive to simply take the real Yankee Stadium and add the frieze. Obviously, whichever they do, they're not going to be 100% accurate anyway...
__________________
In labor news: Longshoremen walked off the piers today. Rescue operations are continuing.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2009, 12:42 AM   #53
Skywalker
Admiral
 
Skywalker's Avatar
 
Re: Everyone leaves L&O:CI?!

Harvey wrote: View Post
What really annoys me is when a series is set in Seattle, but filmed in Vancouver (or LA, or elsewhere). Pasting the space needle on the skyline or overusing the same stock footage doesn't make the series look like Seattle. Millennium managed to get by because they allowed for it to rain so much on the series, but it still could have just as easily been set in Vancouver with no harm done to the narrative.
That reminds me of Highlander: The Series, which was also filmed in Vancouver. IIRC, in the first season they tried to make it look like MacLeod lived in Seattle, but after that they never bothered and just had MacLeod in some generic city in the Pacific Northwest (when he wasn't in Paris in the latter half of the season) that was apparently neither Seattle nor Vancouver. Eventually fans started to call the city Seacouver.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2009, 01:15 AM   #54
Aragorn
Admiral
 
Aragorn's Avatar
 
Re: Everyone leaves L&O:CI?!

There was a Smallville episode that tried to pass off Vancouver BC for Detroit... by having black kids playing hoops. One of BC's sports arenas was clearly in the background.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2009, 02:09 AM   #55
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Space Massachusetts
Re: Everyone leaves L&O:CI?!

So everyone left the show... hmmm... interesting.... I wonder if the show will still be filmed on Earth!
__________________
The powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse.
bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2009, 02:11 AM   #56
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: Everyone leaves L&O:CI?!

I wonder why they didn't just cancel the show and start a new L&O with brand new cast. It would have been a hell of alot easier to do. Better ratings because of people curious about it and cheaper cast.
__________________
=)
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2009, 02:46 AM   #57
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral
 
Allyn Gibson's Avatar
 
Location: South Pennsyltucky
View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: Everyone leaves L&O:CI?!

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Aragorn wrote: View Post
Laser Beam, when Billy Crystal made 61, Yankee Stadium no longer looked like the Yankee Stadium of old so they had to use another stadium that looked like a classic ballpark. Is that enough to boycott the movie? Or were you in fact the one who did boycott the movie when I mentioned that fact?
That being said: As I read, extensive use of CGI was involved in that scene. They added a third deck, a Bronx skyline, and a whole lot of crowd. So if they're going to go through all that trouble, certainly a tiny amount of CGI alteration to the *real* Yankee Stadium would have also been possible?
To be fair to Billy Crystal, Yankee Stadium, at the time he was filming, looked almost nothing like it did in 1961. The renovations of the early 1970s vastly altered the interior of Yankee Stadium. It was easier to redress Tiger Stadium, and add CGI, than it would have been to try and film in Yankee Stadium.

Frankly, I thought they did a fantastic job making Tiger Stadium look like the pre-renovation Yankee Stadium.

It's not like The Natural, where the New York Knights are playing the Chicago Cubs at Wrigley Field -- and Wrigley looks absolutely nothing like Wrigley has ever looked.
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2009, 02:58 AM   #58
Tom Hendricks
Commodore
 
Tom Hendricks's Avatar
 
Location: Syracuse NY
View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile
Re: Everyone leaves L&O:CI?!

I'm very sad about this, L&O:CI is my favorite one of the three.
__________________
I am a child of the universe. I will walk gently and true

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2009, 03:22 AM   #59
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Everyone leaves L&O:CI?!

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
To be fair to Billy Crystal, Yankee Stadium, at the time he was filming, looked almost nothing like it did in 1961.
But neither did Tiger Stadium. Tiger Stadium looked no more like Yankee Stadium I than Yankee Stadium II did. Whichever option they chose, they were obviously not going to end up with something that was totally realistic. The best they could hope for would be something that vaguely resembled Yankee Stadium I.

The renovations of the early 1970s vastly altered the interior of Yankee Stadium. It was easier to redress Tiger Stadium, and add CGI, than it would have been to try and film in Yankee Stadium.
But given two choices - use a LOT of CGI on Tiger Stadium, or a tiny bit of CGI on Yankee Stadium II - then why choose the latter? If they just took Yankee Stadium II, added the frieze, and called it even, obviously that wouldn't look totally authentic, but it would be good enough. And they wouldn't have to digitally recreate the Bronx, either, since it would basically already be there. Of course the Bronx in 1961 would look different than the Bronx in (whatever year 61 was made) but, well, HOW different? For the small amount of time we see it in the film, I doubt it'd be that big of a deal.
__________________
In labor news: Longshoremen walked off the piers today. Rescue operations are continuing.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2009, 03:56 AM   #60
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral
 
Location: Missile Command
Re: Everyone leaves L&O:CI?!

They need more spin-offs

Law & Order: Origins - Who wants to play a young Richard Belzer? Maybe that McLovin kid from SUPERBAD?

Law & Order: Vampire Unit - Nick Knight joins the force.

Above the Law & Order - There's an unseen part of the legal system, that answers to no one. Steven Seagal in his first t.v. series.

Law & Order: Old Jokes - Crackdown on failed jokes, like potential L&O spin off lists.
MeanJoePhaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
criminal intent, law & order

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.