TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 25 2009, 03:24 PM   #1
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Everyone leaves L&O:CI?!

Almost everyone...

“Law & Order: Criminal Intent” is planning dramatic cast changes for next season, with four regulars, including star Vincent D’Onofrio, departing.
D’Onofrio is expected to exit sometime during the series’ upcoming ninth season, handing over his badge to Jeff Goldblum as the top detective on the major case squad.
Kathryn Erbe, who, like D’Onofrio, has been with the show since its beginning and plays his long-suffering partner Alex Eames, also will be phased out, as will Eric Bogosian, who plays the force’s captain, Danny Ross.
As previously reported, Julianne Nicholson, who played Goldblum’s partner but has just had a baby, her second, also is leaving. She’s being replaced by British actress Saffron Burrows.
http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/09/25...donofrio/28373

I'm glad Jeff Goldblum is staying, he is awesome, and I'm glad Vincent D’Onofrio is leaving because I hate him. I'm really sad to seeJ ulianne Nicholson leave because she was great with Goldblum, plus she is being replaced with Saffron Burrows who I cannot stand! She was the worst character ever on Boston Legal, and if you watch Boston Legal there were a lot of characters.

Why this show is still on the air I do not get. I would just cancel it and movie Goldblum to L&O. Then when NBC cancels L&O this year it can move to USA.
Old September 25 2009, 03:36 PM   #2
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile
Re: Everyone leaves L&O:CI?!

What the bloody hell? Are conditions THAT FUCKING BAD on the set? Why would everyone just up and leave?

Oh well. Wonder who the new captain will be. Maybe they can get Jamey Sheridan back...
Old September 25 2009, 03:58 PM   #3
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

What I have heard throughout the years is that Vincent D’Onofrio is a pain in the ass to work with.

Julianne Nicholson left because of her 2nd child. Rumours were that the remaining three defectives would all mix and match together instead of hiring a replacement. This news came out of no where.

But like i said they should just end it and send whatever characters want a minor role to the real L&Os.

The way things are going all the current L&Os will be off the air within 2-3 years tops. L&O is on it's last leg, SVU the main characters are thinking about leaving the show, and CI is now completely a different show. What will the world look like without a L&O on the air?!
Old September 25 2009, 05:25 PM   #4
jep316
Fleet Captain

If they really want to have fun with it they should have Goren go the dark side and embrace his Father's occupation as a serial killer and have him first kill Eames and have Nichols have to hunt him down.
Old September 25 2009, 05:26 PM   #5
davejames
Vice Admiral

Well I was never a big L&O fan before, but I gotta say I was REALLY digging Goldblum's run on the show this season. He was quirky and fun and just fascinating as hell to watch. It's a shame his partner isn't coming back, because I thought they were great together. But as long as HE's gonna be there, I'll still be watching.

As for D'Onofrio, I thought he was kinda interesting early on, but by the end, it appeared he was just sleep walking through the role. He was kind of like CSI's Grissom... if you sucked out all the personality and warmth. lol
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2009, 05:37 PM   #6
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I never watch these shows but I might tune in occasionally if Goldblum was the lead.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2009, 05:45 PM   #7
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I never watch these shows but I might tune in occasionally if Goldblum was the lead.

He was the lead every other episode this season, and next season he is definitely the lead.
Old September 25 2009, 08:27 PM   #8
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

I guess I'm surprised that a famous film actor like D'Onofrio has agreed to do TV for this long. They must have gotten real lucky when they landed him.

I do miss that thing he used to do where he'd cock his head at weird angles when interrogating a suspect...

I also miss Alicia Witt. She was the only one who ever made Mike Logan look like the sensible partner!
Old September 25 2009, 08:49 PM   #9
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
What the bloody hell? Are conditions THAT FUCKING BAD on the set? Why would everyone just up and leave?
CI took a very significant budget cut when it was shunted over to the USA Network. Keeping that in mind, it's expensive to keep a show on the air for eight years -- escalator clauses in actors' contracts call for yearly salary increases, union crew members' expenses go up, etc. Even though Vincent D'Onofrio and Kathryn Erbe weren't exactly household names when CI started, keeping them contracted for eight years gets pricey. (While D'Onofrio's well-publicized personal issues were part of the reason that the A/B detective split happened, the financial part of it was that Chris Noth was simply cheap at the time.) Same thing with a few years of Eric Bogosian.

I wouldn't be surprised if the whole "shut it down, throw everything out, start over" thing that happened after Goldblum's first two or three episodes were in the can played a part in this, either.

bigdaddy is right about the Law & Order franchise in general, though: This is almost guaranteed to be Vanilla's final year on the air, given its budgetary woes and its move to the Friday night graveyard, and I don't think there's any chance of SVU continuing beyond the expiration of Meloni and Hargitay's contracts in two years.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2009, 10:03 PM   #10
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post

He was the lead every other episode this season, and next season he is definitely the lead.
Shows you how often I watch these shows.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2009, 10:07 PM   #11
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

Whatever happens to the broadcasts, I hope they step it way the fuck up in terms of DVD releases. SVU must be a huge hit in that regard, since now ALL of its seasons are out on DVD except for the current one. But the other shows? Glacially slow pace of release. L&O (prime) is in its 20th season on air, but only 6 seasons have made it to DVD. And CI has only four seasons out - 1, 2, 3 and 5.
Old September 25 2009, 10:19 PM   #12
Aragorn
Admiral

If the first few seasons don't sell, they just won't release the rest of them. NYPD Blue didn't sell well so they stopped after two seasons initially, but then released the next two seasons after a long gap, and have since stopped again. I'm still upset that the third and final season of Once and Again isn't coming out.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2009, 10:24 PM   #13
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Aragorn wrote: View Post
If the first few seasons don't sell, they just won't release the rest of them.
Precisely the nuts and bolts of it. For whatever reason, Law & Order Vanilla DVDs have gone over, financially speaking, like a wet fart in church. I'm sure the entire series will be released eventually, but when that might be ... no one knows.
Old September 25 2009, 10:26 PM   #14
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

Guess it would be premature to hope for a Blu-Ray release.

(Well, except for SVU. If any L&O series makes it to Blu-Ray it will probably be that one. I wonder why SVU sold so much better than any of the other series....)
Old September 25 2009, 10:33 PM   #15
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Since pretty much its second year or so, SVU has whupped the other two Law & Order programs in the ratings (contrast to Vanilla, which has languished in ratings for years, outside of Linus Roache's first -- NBC has kept it on the air largely as a courtesy to Dick Wolf, and because Wolf agreed to slash its budget a few years ago). It is by far the most popular of the Law & Order series, and a not insignificant part of that is due to it being a more traditional program, with deep characterizations, character-centric plots, occasional story arcs / recurring plotlines, and -- for a time, anyway -- the ever-important romantic tension between the leads. SVU has a huge female audience.