RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,683
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 432
Newest member: Enabran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 26 2009, 10:09 AM   #1
StarTrek1701
Fleet Captain

Every freakin' time man....

..the scene where Spock-Prime appears, turns and goes "James T. Kirk?" .... my eyes well up. Can't help it. It's like this rush of emotions that push upon me. Maybe its the nostalgia, maybe because we Trekkies/Trekkers grew up with Nimoy's portrayal. But with God as my witness, I start to bawl for a few seconds at that scene. The music, the tension, the camera focus.. its just perfect.

Yeah, sue me. I love this movie to pieces.

I have several others

- the one when Pike says "Your father was captain of a starship for 12 minutes.. he saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.. I dare you to do better." My eyes shake at that.

- when Nu-Spock lands on the t'porter pad and looks down to the other pad, realizing his mother has not made it. He wants to scream, he wants to throw down with emotion.. but he is helpless. He can't do it. Damn that's a powerful scene.

- Spock-Prime standing on the ice, looking up as Vulcan gets sucked into the blackhole.. the music, the dialogue "He beamed me here so that I could observe his vengeance. As he was helpless to save his planet, I would be helpless.. to save mine.." That's when my tears start to flow.. albeit just a bit.

Which scene gets you all emotionally? Tell us!
StarTrek1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2009, 12:26 PM   #2
Johnnymuffintop
Commander

Send a message via AIM to Johnnymuffintop Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Johnnymuffintop Send a message via Yahoo to Johnnymuffintop
Re: Every freakin' time man....

I always tear up as baby Kirk is being born and George is saying his good-byes.
Johnnymuffintop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2009, 12:49 PM   #3
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral

I would have prefered he say "...Jim..."
Nardpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2009, 02:34 PM   #4
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

Johnnymuffintop wrote: View Post
I always tear up as baby Kirk is being born and George is saying his good-byes.

Me too. I even tear up when listening to the soundtrack and this track comes on. It is incredible that after five months i am still moved to tears during this scene.

I think it was brilliant that this sequence was filmed with no dialogue. Just images and beautiful music. BRILLIANT
Yeoman Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2009, 04:54 PM   #5
Mrs_Whatsit
Commander

When Winona says to George, "You should be here," and George's face sort of crumples in an "I know" look. It never fails to give me a big ol' lump in my throat. Actually, that whole sequence makes me cry. Like Randi says, the music is such huge part of that reaction. It's so beautiful.

I also get a little misty when Spock Prime tells Jim that his dad lived to see him become captain of the Enterprise. That look on Chris Pine's face just kills me. You can see the longing to know his father.

I also have to agree with StarTrek1701 about the moment Spock realizes on the transporter pad that his mother hasn't made it. ZQ does a great job of letting Spock's emotions slip through in that moment.
Old September 26 2009, 05:01 PM   #6
The Keeper
Commodore

Chills still run up and down my spine at the transfer from the teaser to the opening credits.

Check out hit crime drama series on FX: The Bridge.
The Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2009, 05:17 PM   #7
urbandk
Commodore

The whole Kelvin sequence is dynamite.
Old September 27 2009, 02:40 AM   #8
iluthradanar
Lieutenant

There is one moment in Chris's portrayal that bears the same subtlety that Bill Shatner has in many of his scenes in TOS, and no not the scene chewery ones. He did have some subtle acting in the old show, believe me.

Anyway, it's when Pike is telling Kirk about how his father saved 800 lives. Watch his eyes. First he is all cocky, "are we done", and all that. The moment Pike says, "he saved over 800 lives", Chris's eyes completely stop moving, as if he is thinking, finally realizing what his father sacrificed his life for, and maybe, just maybe he needs to suck it up and do something with his own life. I missed this the first 6 times, but noticed it when people managed to load some clips on youtube.com for all of a day before they were pulled. One reason I think Chris fit the part so well.
iluthradanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2009, 04:57 AM   #9
Johnnymuffintop
Commander

Send a message via AIM to Johnnymuffintop Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Johnnymuffintop Send a message via Yahoo to Johnnymuffintop

An interesting thought just popped into my head...

I think that the Kelvin scene was the first time I've ever been brought to tears by ANY Star Trek movie. I'm more of a next-gen guy, and even the end of Nemesis left me straight-faced.
Anyone else in the same situation as I?
Old September 27 2009, 05:53 AM   #10
Joshua Howard
Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Joshua Howard

I'm not the kind of person who is easily moved. Star Trek stands as one of the very few, if not only film phenomenon(s), capable of invoking strong emotional feelings in me. Seeing Spock Prime appear again in XI is, I would definitely agree, one of the most powerful moments in Trek history.
Joshua Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2009, 07:25 AM   #11
Johnnymuffintop
Commander

If you want a movie sure to make you cry. Watch Children of Men.

So, I'm literally 14 minutes into ST on my laptop at the moment, and I burst into turns as George said "I love you, so much."

Last edited by Johnnymuffintop; September 27 2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old September 27 2009, 03:09 PM   #12
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I watched the Kelvin sequence feeling like they were trying to punch sad feelings into the audience with a sledgehammer. Didn't work for me.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2009, 08:21 PM   #13
Bones
Commodore

Only the Kelvin scene affected me emotionally. The rest of the film is quite a letdown compared to it.
I keep getting banned. If it happens again to the point of no return (and you miss me so much that you're off your food), I can still be found among the cool dudes of the Anorak Zone: http://anorakzoneforum.informe.com/forum/
It's No Gahy Test.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2009, 08:39 PM   #14
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

- when Nu-Spock lands on the t'porter pad and looks down to the other pad, realizing his mother has not made it. He wants to scream, he wants to throw down with emotion.. but he is helpless. He can't do it. Damn that's a powerful scene.
Holy moley, the whole sequence from Spock deciding to beam down, to that point, is just off the charts. Some of the most memorable stuff in Trek history right there, equal to the best of TOS and DS9.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2009, 09:52 PM   #15
Joel_Kirk
Commodore

There were a couple of scenes that stood out for me, a lot of them which have been continually mentioned:

*The Kelvin scene: Robau going over to the Nerada himself; Kirk's birth; George's sacrifice...

Note: Robau isn't dead. He just was wounded, and escaped in a shuttlecraft...lol

*Seeing Nyota Uhura (Zoe Saldana) in the miniskirt and go-go boots.

*Destruction of Vulcan; Spock's loss....

*The scene on the platform with Sulu kicking ass, and Kirk doing his dive to save Sulu...

*The little bit with Sulu taking the Enterprise into warp...

*Zoe Saldana in....(you get the idea)...

*The scenes with Leonard Nimoy's Spock....(It just goes to show how long this franchise has been going on)...

Last edited by Joel_Kirk; September 27 2009 at 10:18 PM.
Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote