CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 24 2009, 02:42 AM   #16
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral

Re: Watchmen: The Ultimate Cut!

Yeah, but that's actually a prequel.
MeanJoePhaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2009, 09:15 AM   #17
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

The "Tales of the Black Freighter" stuff bored me when I read the comics. Is the new Ultimate Cut adding anything else to the edit besides that? I might be interested in getting the Director's Cut for the Hollis Mason stuff.
Old September 24 2009, 11:27 AM   #18
Gojirob
Rear Admiral

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
The "Tales of the Black Freighter" stuff bored me when I read the comics. Is the new Ultimate Cut adding anything else to the edit besides that? I might be interested in getting the Director's Cut for the Hollis Mason stuff.
Was it me or did
in the Black Freighter comics?
Old September 24 2009, 12:26 PM   #19
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
I won't be getting it since I already got the director's cut. Putting the cartoon into the movie is just excessive.
I agree, splicing in TOTBF is unnecessary. I was pleased that they left it out of the theatrical and extended versions. It would do to the movie's pacing what those extra large portion of ribs did to Fred Flintstone's car.
Old September 24 2009, 12:57 PM   #20
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Yeah, it was obvious that this version was going to be released even before it was announced (which was months ago, to all those whinging). I wasn't a huge fan of the film at but I'll be interested to see what else from the comic they managed to miss the point of.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2009, 01:34 PM   #21
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

I prefer the plot development in the film to the comic even though it did make it look like a bit of a Dark Knight ripoff in retrospect. I never did like that squid...
Old September 24 2009, 02:12 PM   #22
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

I've been specifically waiting for this edition of the film to come out, so this works for me.

Lovely that MCR's shitty/shitty/shitty cover of Dylan's iconic "Desolation Row" got a music video.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2009, 02:43 PM   #23
The Evil Dead
Vice Admiral

View The Evil Dead's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Evil Dead

T'Baio wrote: View Post
I'd be happy if this included all three cuts of the film.
Unfortunately so few DVDs do this...That's why the Alien set, Blade Runner, Terminator 2, etc. are among my favorite DVDs. I am totally happy to pay for a cut of a film I haven't seen, but let me also have the original cut I am familiar with just incase the new cut doesn't quite do it for me. That's why I've never bothered buying Director's/Extended Cuts of films on DVD cause...I have no idea what I am paying for!
Old September 25 2009, 02:43 PM   #24
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

That's what bugs me about the Evil Dead films. It seems like there's a dozen different cuts all over the place.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2009, 03:05 PM   #25
Reverend
Rear Admiral

The Evil Dead wrote: View Post
T'Baio wrote: View Post
I'd be happy if this included all three cuts of the film.
Unfortunately so few DVDs do this...That's why the Alien set, Blade Runner, Terminator 2, etc. are among my favorite DVDs. I am totally happy to pay for a cut of a film I haven't seen, but let me also have the original cut I am familiar with just incase the new cut doesn't quite do it for me. That's why I've never bothered buying Director's/Extended Cuts of films on DVD cause...I have no idea what I am paying for!
Agreed for the most part, though there are some exceptions.
The extended "Kingdom of Heaven" dvd for example. The theatrical version isn't really worth bothering with by comparison, so I'm glad it's not in the set.

On a related note, I was quite surprised when I bought a copy of 'The Mist' (great flick) to find the second disc had the exact same film, but in black and white. A bit of an odd choice I thought.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2009, 05:41 PM   #26
Ethros
Vice Admiral

It was announced this would happen before the film even came out, so it's not that big a shock.

I can't wait to see the Black Freighter stuff integrated into the film, I never overly enjoyed the TOTBF segments that much in the comic, but I thought the animated adaption was brilliant.
As for the Motion Comic, I already have it on the seperate DVD, so that seems a bit pointless (it is excellent though)

So I'd love to get my hands on this. But I have a very strong suspicion this isn't gonna get released on Region 2... count on it
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2009, 05:55 PM   #27
Masquerade
Rear Admiral

I don't have TOTBF or The Motion Comic, so I'll be happy to get this version.
Old September 25 2009, 11:56 PM   #28
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

barnaclelapse wrote: View Post
That's what bugs me about the Evil Dead films. It seems like there's a dozen different cuts all over the place.
I wasn't aware of different edits. I know that Army of Darkness is in competition with The Princess Bride to be the most frequently pointlessly released movie of all time. (And then there's all those 20th Century Fox movies that keep getting rereleased even though the only difference is the cover art.)

Gojirob wrote: View Post
The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Was it me or did
in the Black Freighter comics?
Yes. Yes she did. I believe that was the whole point.
Old September 26 2009, 01:40 AM   #29
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Cool!

I'm glad I waited.
Old September 26 2009, 03:08 AM   #30
Harvey
Admiral

barnaclelapse wrote: View Post
As far as I know, the first two films have only ever been released in their theatrical versions. Army of Darkness has been released in two different versions, although the quality of the special scenes in the director's cut has always been pretty shoddy (and the theatrical cut has the superior ending).

That said, when we're talking DVD releases, good GOD. Those DVDs have been released so many times I can't even keep them straight.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote