Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 24 2009, 03:09 PM   #1
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
David Goyer in talks for GHOST RIDER 2

David Goyer, comic-book adaptor maestro behind the Blade trilogy and co-writer of Batman Begins, is in talks to supervise the writing on Ghost Rider 2, once again expected to star Nicholas Cage.

Mark Steven Johnson, who wrote and directed the first film and the 2003 comic-book flick Daredevil, is not expected to return. Goyer originally wrote a script for the highly flammable superhero and apparently the sequel will be based off that script.

Source: www.superherohype.com

I didn't very much care for the first film so my expectations are pretty low for a sequel. Goyer's presence alone doesn't excite me. I guess we'll see.
Old September 24 2009, 03:38 PM   #2
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Re: David Goyer in talks for GHOST RIDER 2

That guy was responsible for Blade 3.. 'nuff said.

Although if he was co-responsible for Batman it may mean he's gotten better.. A LOT!

Anyway.. lukewarm about Ghost Rider. Effects were cool but then i like a bit of story too.. i'm wired that way. Wait and see.. could be another Iron Man or could be Elektra.
Old September 24 2009, 04:18 PM   #3
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I enjoyed Ghost Rider, mostly. I think the opportunity exists to now make Johnny the Johnny we know. Not this ambivalent jelly bean eating philosophical version we got the first time. The ending where he says to Mephistopholes that,paraphrase here "I'm going to use this power for good to thrwart you." is a good place to start that attitude change we could see in a GR2. While the effects were passable they might be able to make those sharper as well.

He once said he was iffy on doing sequels, then he did National Treasure 2 and said the follwing in 2007 about a Ghost Rider 2 while promoting that film.
Apparently, Cage has changed his mind about sequels. Fast-forward one year and Cage is out promoting the sequel to National Treasure (2004). While discussing the film, Cage was reportedly asked if he would be interested in starring in the Ghost Rider sequel. He responded, “All they have to do is call, and I would love to see that happen. That would be fun.”
Cage then said while promoting Bangkok Dangerous(2008) that he wanted to return. He once suggested taking GR into old Europe. Lots of possibilites there with deep rooted Catholicism I suppose.
Cage: Yes, actually, had a nice meeting with the studio about 3-months ago, and we talked about going international with that character. Taking him into Europe, having him go on a motorcycle tour through Europe, and he's connected with the church, if you can believe that. So it sort of has elements to it that are very much in the zeitgeist, with "The Da Vinci Code" and things like that.
If this thread continues I know its box office take will come up, so going to add that in now. Then there are the arbitrary DVD sales, yada yada and hey its not in the $5 bin at Wal-Mart like other more recent superhero flicks.

US Domestic=$115.8
Overseas=$112.9
Total=$228.7
Budget=$110

I hope we get something good. Goyer has it in him but then there is still a director to consider. A bad director can butcher a workable script during filming.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2009, 07:29 PM   #4
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I actually quite liked the original. Not exactly The Dark Knight or Spider-man 2 but no Batman and Robin either. GR is kind of a silly character anyway and a hard one to bring to the big screen. Cage brought a likable quirkiness to the role and Sam Elliott was perfect as the old GR.

Of course, I'm in the minority that likes Mark Johnson's Daredevil, so what do I know? But a GR sequel, particularly with Goyer on board, interests me more than the talk of various X-Men prequels.
Old September 24 2009, 09:04 PM   #5
Harvey
Admiral

I thought the first film could have been a good, entertaining comic book movie, but in execution it just fell apart. There's no reason a sequel couldn't put the pieces together in a stronger fashion, however. Goyer's certainly has talent, although his best work (Dark City, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight) has always been in collaboration with others and not in a leadership capacity.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2009, 10:05 PM   #6
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Exactly what I was going to say, Harvey. Goyer works best when collaborating with more talented directors (Guillermo del Toro on Blade II and Christopher Nolan on the Batman films, even though he only worked on the story for The Dark Knight).
Old September 24 2009, 10:09 PM   #7
Kegg
Rear Admiral

This will be the second film by a Dark City alumnus starring Nicholas Cage, to my knowledge, and speaking of knowledge let us tacitly accept Knowing does not exist. If Goyer works better with good directors, well, Alex Proyas works better when it's still the 1990s. And that's just sad.