RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,611
Posts: 5,405,268
Members: 24,869
Currently online: 611
Newest member: Engelbert

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek: Gold Key Archives Vol. 2 Comic
By: T'Bonz on Oct 1

Cumberbatch In War Of Roses Miniseries
By: T'Bonz on Oct 1

Trek 3 Filming Location Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Oct 1

October-November 2014 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Cho Selfie TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

TPTB To Shatner: Shhh!
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 19 2010, 08:04 AM   #1
Mr. Scott
Commander
 
Did you like T.J. Hooker or Boston Legal?

Did you like T.J. Hooker or Boston Legal?

I have never seen T.J. Hooker. Why, I can't really say. I was a kid, and out family didn't watch it. Besides, what kind of a character name is Hooker? It just seemed cheesy to me for some reason, and I just couldn't picture Shatner as anything but Kirk.

I loved Shat in Rescue 911. He did a very professional job as a narrarator, almost as good as Robert Stack. He does have an excellent voice and should do more voice overs. However, a friend (who was a young kid of about 20 at the time) was a paramedic and did not like the show because everyone lived.

Boston Legal is OK, but not a great show. It gets stupid and way overly sexual. It's either a comedy or a drama and it just jumps back and forth between these two extremes. I haven't seen the show in a while, and it is not awful, but I have to be in prison with only one show to make me watch it consistantly. (John Larroquette not withstanding)

Have people from Hooker ever talked about what working with Shatner was like, since most of the actors on TOS found him to be an insufferable jerk. Probably Denny Crane is probably the closest characterization to Shatner in real life.
Mr. Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2010, 08:50 AM   #2
Rainbow Dash
Osmotic Egghead
 
Rainbow Dash's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's House
Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash
Re: Did you like T.J. Hooker or Boston Legal?

I loved Shatner on Boston Legal. Teaming him up with James Spader (playing Alan Shore) was brilliant, and Shatner was able to bounce his talent and charm off his co-stars, which made for a fun and entertaining show, at least in my opinion of course.
__________________
"I'm Star Swirl the Bearded! Father of the amniomorphic spell?
Did you even read that book I gave you about obscure unicorn history?" - Twilight Sparkle
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2010, 11:45 AM   #3
Green Shirt
Commodore
 
Green Shirt's Avatar
 
Location: 21133
Re: Did you like T.J. Hooker or Boston Legal?

Mr. Scott wrote: View Post
a friend (who was a young kid of about 20 at the time) was a paramedic and did not like the show because everyone lived.
Was your friend similiarly displeased when the people he rescued on the job survived?
__________________
Its not easy being green.
Green Shirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2010, 04:17 PM   #4
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral
 
ssosmcin's Avatar
 
Location: ssosmcin
Re: Did you like T.J. Hooker or Boston Legal?

I loved T.J. Hooker, a ton of fun. It was by no means a "good" show, but it was entertaining. It was a typical unrealistic 80's cop show, only ramped up in the histrionics because of Bill Shatner. Make no mistake, he was that show. Heather Locklear helped too.

The series was intended to revolve around new recruits and Hooker was to be pretty much stuck at the police academy and offering sage advice and so on. The pilot movie "The Protectors" was chock full of characters and his partner, Romano, wasn't even a main one. But when you have Shatner playing a tough "drill sergeant" kind of chatacter, you don't reign him in - you step out of the way.

The first two seasons (or first "couple of episodes" and following full season) were fairly bright, jaunty action adventure, with a sentimental side as Hooker dealt with his kids and the ex-wife who still loved him. The next season, though, it got darker, grittier. The family was written out and a lot of episodes took place at night. In some ways, the series lost its charm. It went from a cop fantasy (like CHiPs) to something a lot heavier, but still corny.

I'd love to see the final 3 seasons on DVD, but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen anytime soon.

Warning: if you watch Shatner on Star Trek and think "overacting" then you don't know the meaning of the word. Shatner on Hooker is out in force. Hooker's a great character, he just deserved a better show. Actually, now that I think of it, he got the show he deserved. It was fun, but very 80's.
__________________
"Tranya is people!"
ssosmcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2010, 04:36 PM   #5
Brown-Eyed Ghoul
Vice Admiral
 
Brown-Eyed Ghoul's Avatar
 
Location: scotpens
Re: Did you like T.J. Hooker or Boston Legal?

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
. . . Hooker's a great character, he just deserved a better show.
And a MUCH better toupee.

Brown-Eyed Ghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2010, 05:09 PM   #6
RandyS
Vice Admiral
 
RandyS's Avatar
 
Location: Randyland
View RandyS's Twitter Profile
Re: Did you like T.J. Hooker or Boston Legal?

I enjoyed TJ Hooker, but like TOS, Shatner was the least reason why.

I've never watched Boson Legal, and never intend to.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2010, 05:14 PM   #7
John Picard
Vice Admiral
 
John Picard's Avatar
 
Location: Waiting for Dorian Thompson to invite me to lunch
Re: Did you like T.J. Hooker or Boston Legal?

Axiom wrote: View Post
I loved Shatner on Boston Legal. Teaming him up with James Spader (playing Alan Shore) was brilliant, and Shatner was able to bounce his talent and charm off his co-stars, which made for a fun and entertaining show, at least in my opinion of course.

I remember TJ Hooker as a kid. Kind of a modern-day yet cliche Adam-12 save for Shatner's character confronting/recovering from his alcoholism.

Boston Legal was so uproariously funny that often Denny's antics or the banter betwixt he and Alan Shore would leave me in tears.
__________________
Don't like my posts? Fill out a report.
Psssstttt - Dorian, my location.
John Picard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2010, 05:28 PM   #8
RookieBatman
Commodore
 
RookieBatman's Avatar
 
Location: Out there, thataway...
Re: Did you like T.J. Hooker or Boston Legal?

I've seen the season(s) of T. J. Hooker that are on DVD. I agree with the above sentiments that it was cheesy fun. And the Leonard Nimoy episode was quite enjoyable (although, I thought the Nimoy-directed episode was very weak, mostly because it centered around Locklear, who couldn't act to save her life).

I used to love Boston Legal, in the first few seasons. I dropped it midway through the season where Larroquette and Christian Clemenson became regular cast. Not because of them, their joining was just coincidental to a marked decline in the quality of the writing, IMHO. But before that, I really think it was a genius show, both hilarious and quite dramatic. Alan Shore was a very strong lead, and Denny Crane must be Shatner's best comedic role (not that he's had all that many). I must, however, wholeheartedly disagree with the OP's idea that Denny Crane is anything like Shatner in real life.
__________________
I disagree with your opinion of the movie, but I will defend to the death your right to watch it!
RookieBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2010, 05:44 PM   #9
John Clark
Commodore
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Re: Did you like T.J. Hooker or Boston Legal?

At the time, I enjoyed T J Hooker. Having seen parts of it again recently, it hasn't seemed quite as entertaining, at least for me.

Boston Legal I loved. I didn't think it would be quite my type of show, but I gave it a go and really enjoyed it
__________________
If there's a justification for my actions right now, it's this: I have gone completely mad
John Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2010, 05:45 PM   #10
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral
 
WillsBabe's Avatar
 
Re: Did you like T.J. Hooker or Boston Legal?

I watched all of TJ Hooker. It came at a time when I was at the height of my TOS love and couldn't get enough of anything even remotely Trek related. I don't think it was a particularly good show but I have great memories of watching it in my rented room at university on my colour portable tv (which were massively rare at the time and made me the envy of lots of people!) I haven't seen Boston Legal.
__________________



WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2010, 06:46 PM   #11
Rainbow Dash
Osmotic Egghead
 
Rainbow Dash's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's House
Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash
Re: Did you like T.J. Hooker or Boston Legal?

John Picard wrote: View Post
Axiom wrote: View Post
I loved Shatner on Boston Legal. Teaming him up with James Spader (playing Alan Shore) was brilliant, and Shatner was able to bounce his talent and charm off his co-stars, which made for a fun and entertaining show, at least in my opinion of course.

I remember TJ Hooker as a kid. Kind of a modern-day yet cliche Adam-12 save for Shatner's character confronting/recovering from his alcoholism.

Boston Legal was so uproariously funny that often Denny's antics or the banter betwixt he and Alan Shore would leave me in tears.
I have to admit I cheered when Denny shot the child rapist in the knee caps.

Oh, and Pink Flamingos.
__________________
"I'm Star Swirl the Bearded! Father of the amniomorphic spell?
Did you even read that book I gave you about obscure unicorn history?" - Twilight Sparkle
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2010, 06:53 PM   #12
Shaw
Commodore
 
Shaw's Avatar
 
Location: Twin Cities
Re: Did you like T.J. Hooker or Boston Legal?

I've never seen any of the shows Shatner has been in outside of Trek and Twilight Zone. I watched In Search Of..., but not because of Nimoy's involvement. I don't pick what I watch based on actors, after all most shows have actors and they all play different parts. Characters, plot, genre... these are the things that I usually use to decide on what to watch.

But actors... I'd never go out of my way just to see an actor act.
Shaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2010, 07:06 PM   #13
Nero's Shadow
Captain
 
Nero's Shadow's Avatar
 
Location: Into Darkness !!!
Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow
Re: Did you like T.J. Hooker or Boston Legal?

Oh i loved T J hooker some of the storylines were great and so many trek connections his name for a start T J just swopped round vic fontiane but i,d loved to seen heather locklear as a orion slave girl

Always liked how shat made hooker so real sometimes i,d feel good after he caught the villains and his running around was unbelievable .

I liked to know how many trek connections there was in that series NS
__________________
That green blooded son of a bitch !!!!
Nero's Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2010, 09:40 PM   #14
Kelso
Vice Admiral
 
Kelso's Avatar
 
Location: On the destruct button until the last minute!
View Kelso's Twitter Profile
Re: Did you like T.J. Hooker or Boston Legal?

I haven't seen much of T.J. Hooker, but Boston Legal was fabulous.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2010, 09:58 PM   #15
sbk1234
Rear Admiral
 
sbk1234's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles
Re: Did you like T.J. Hooker or Boston Legal?

Mr. Scott wrote: View Post
Besides, what kind of a character name is Hooker? It just seemed cheesy to me for some reason.
It did work for General Hooker in the American Civil War. He's actually the one for whom the oldest profession is named for. There used to be women who followed his regiment. I think they were called "Hooker's girls" or something similar, eventually shortened to "hookers."
__________________
In all the history of the world, a riot has NEVER broken out at a Sci-Fi convention.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.