Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old May 30 2010, 12:57 AM   #271
I am not Spock
Commodore

Re: Treking through all Star Trek

Season two had more 'duplicate Earth' stories than usual in TOS. In the one season, we had 'Nazi planet', 'gangster planet', and 'Roman empire planet'. I found these eps very fun as a kid, but if you think about it, it really doesn't make a lot of sense. I know, I know, it was a way for them to save costs and use costumes from the Paramount stock archives.
Old May 30 2010, 12:59 AM   #272
I am not Spock
Commodore

thew40 wrote: View Post
Series: The Original Series – Season Two
Episode: “Return to Tomorrow”
Trek Installment # 145
Grade: B
Viewing Date: February 13, 2010

Like the previous episode, I thought this one had a lot of potential – except this one actually achieved it. While not exactly keen on the whole “we are the true parents of mankind” (even though I used them in a fanfic), I actually really enjoyed Sargon and his gang. Unlike the usual TOS aliens, he was understanding, sympathetic, intriguing, and NOT EVIL.

All three characters were well-rounded and intriguing. It was such a great change of pace and made for a fine alien species to deal with.

The telepathic battle and trickery was also well done and came across very well. It was a little on the confusing side, but at the same time, really managed to pull it off. Kirk’s shocking sacrifice of Spock was a little upsetting, but his speech about risk was very rousing.

Good Trek!
I've always wondered: who was lying, and who was telling the truth? Sargon's people; the ancient humanoids from TNGs The Chase; and The Preservers can't all take the credit for seeding human life.
Old May 30 2010, 12:32 PM   #273
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Series: Enterprise - Season Three
Episode: “Anomaly”
Trek Installment # 52
Grade: C+
Viewing Date: November 5, 2009

Captain Archer: badass.

I’m of two different opinions of this episode. On the one hand, I liked the progression that the overall Xindi arc gets. It’s kinda like the Temporal Cold War . . . except that we’ll eventually get answers to our questions. What’s up with that Sphere? Don’t know, but it’s connected to the anomalies.

That being said, the invasion by the Osaarians just seemed so big and surprising. The crew has been attacked like this before – why don’t they have plans to secure the most valuable areas in the place? It just seems a little sloppy. Further, the death of Crewman Fuller – I wish – should have given an extra minute or two.

The biggest event in this episode is Archer’s torturing of the Osaarian, which I’m still debating about in my head whether or not it was a good. Yes, it was a positive thing for the crew, as it gave them the ability to learn more about the Xindi. But at the same time, it sparks a debate about torture – something Star Trek should do more often. Nonetheless, this is a line for Archer to cross and for him to have gone that far speaks a lot of this man who considered himself pretty damn civilized.

This is one of my favorite episodes!! Its almost like a movie to me...enjoyed it immensely. Its a nice piece to the puzzle, has some good action, great FX, and some moral issues...A from me all the way!
Old June 5 2010, 01:57 PM   #274
thew40
Commander

I am not Spock wrote: View Post
Season two had more 'duplicate Earth' stories than usual in TOS. In the one season, we had 'Nazi planet', 'gangster planet', and 'Roman empire planet'. I found these eps very fun as a kid, but if you think about it, it really doesn't make a lot of sense. I know, I know, it was a way for them to save costs and use costumes from the Paramount stock archives.
Yeah, maybe, but surely they could have been a little more creative.

------------

Here's a two-fer since I've been so lazy lately:

Episode: “Patterns of Force”
Trek Installment # 146
Grade: D

So, the Enterprise is looking for famous historian John Gill and –

Oh shit.

Space Nazis.

Again, I can’t help but complain about finding these Earth cultures on alien worlds. Rome Planet, Mobster Planet and now Nazi Planet. This could have easily been about those two worlds being at war with each other instead of forced Nazi Fun. There’s very little redeeming in this episode. John Gill was clearly off his rocker and should have known better than to create a new Nazi Empire. Why not, instead, try a new America or a new Russia or what-have-you?

Space Nazi’s . . . they suck.

------------

Episode: “The Ultimate Computer”
Trek Installment # 147
Grade: B –

Even though it was very predictable, this episode was quite entertaining. Daystrom was a nice strong character who developed well through the installment. Kirk’s chagrin at the prospect of becoming obsolete was a necessary move, even though it was a little forced. I really can’t believe that Starfleet would truly start dropping captains and crewmen, which beggars the question: what was the point of the M-5?

In fact, if memory serves, there was a cargo ship in this episode that had no crew. What was the big difference between that and the M-5?

That being said, I did like a lot of the smalls moments with Kirk in this episode. His scenes with Bones were especially strong and illustrated his anxiety over losing his job. It’s a (for now) rare glimpse as to how desperate he is to get back in the saddle, to make a difference. It was also pretty cool seeing the fleet of starships – something I wish we had seen more of.

Other than that, though, it was fairly predictable. Kirk did his usual fine job of convincing a computer it’s stupid and it should die. Don’t let him near my laptop!

Treking Through All Star Trek
Watching all Star Trek in chronological order
thew40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2010, 01:58 PM   #275
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

I thought William Marshall was great as Daystrom, one of the best guest stars in TOS.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2010, 02:02 PM   #276
thew40
Commander

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
I thought William Marshall was great as Daystrom, one of the best guest stars in TOS.
I agree! His Daystrom was fantastic.

Old June 6 2010, 03:57 PM   #277
thew40
Commander

Episode: “The Omega Glory”
Trek Installment # 148
Grade: F

Let’s cram the following together:

- a post-apocalyptic Earth Cold War on a far-off planet
- a fountain of youth
- a crazy captain
- a deadly disease
- a fight to the death
- a message about patriotism
- a message about the Prime Directive

And call it an episode of Star Trek that doesn’t make sense. How did America and Russia end on up on Omega Four? What business does Kirk have to get on Captain Douchebag about the Prime Directive when Kirk himself has willfully violated it at least three times?

And it JUST WOULDN’T FREAKING END.

This was – without a doubt – the worst episode of TOS I’ve seen.

Old June 6 2010, 04:01 PM   #278
Admiral Shran
Admiral

How did America and Russia end on up on Omega Four?
No kidding! I can buy the idea of "parallel planetary development" for some things. However, this is so ridiculous that it enters the realm of face-palm what-the-fuckery.

What business does Kirk have to get on Captain Douchebag about the Prime Directive when Kirk himself has willfully violated it at least three times?
Glad to see you're calling Kirk out on this. His total disregard for the Prime Directive has always been one of my primary compliants about TOS.
Old June 9 2010, 04:40 AM   #279
thew40
Commander

Episode: “Assignment: Earth”
Trek Installment # 149
Grade: C

Well, season two. It began with a cat and ends with a cat.

“Assignment: Earth” is about 40% Star Trek and 60% Gary Seven. And I liked Gary Seven. He and Phoebe’s Mom and that cat had some fun adventures and it would have been pretty cool to see this as an actual series.

However, as a Star Trek episode, it lacked clarity and cohesion. The Enterprise is just allowed to go back in time? Who gave those orders? No wonder Vosk got so fed up with time travel only be permitted by the Federation.

This season very much featured Earth’s history being just strewn out in the cosmos, so I guess it’s kinda ironic that it ends with an alien-trained human working to save Earth’s past. Gary Seven reminded me a lot of Doctor Who, though bare in mind I’m just starting to understand that particular franchise.

I wish there had been continuity – this episode could have been used to explain the mess that was Omega Four. Or something.

Anyways, the Enterprise headed back to the future at the end of this episode and that’s where I’m headed! Off to Season Three!

It’s the best one, right?

Season two review will be up tomorrow . . . hopefully.

Old June 13 2010, 05:34 PM   #280
thew40
Commander

Season Two Overview

Overall Season Rating: A-
Best Episode: The Trouble With Tribbles
Best Episode Runner-Up: Amok Time
Worst Episode: The Omega Glory

I’d place season two on par with season one. The stories are just as compelling and even though some of them do lack, we finally get a firm canon set up to play in. The Star Trek universe continues to expand and grow, allowing its core ideas (Starfleet, the Federation, etc) to remain solid fact. That being said, I’ll offer up my first critism:

Star Trek Season Two spent most of its time wading through Earth’s trash pile. I mean, we have: witches, Zephram Cochrane, Apollo, Jack the Ripper, the Nomad space probe, Space Rome, Space Mobsters, Space Nazis, and post-apocalyptic Space USSR/USA. All in one season – and that’s not even mentioning “Assignment: Earth.” There are new worlds and new civilizations? No. They’re not. Some are forgivable, others aren’t. I understand that Paramount was trying to save money by reusing these props and whatnot and I’m fine with that – then take down the symbols or change them subtly so they aren’t so blatantly Earth-y. I would have even settled for some silly make-up or wigs to show us that these people are actually aliens.

But on the other hand, we have some great episodes like “The Trouble with Tribbles,” “Amok Time,” “Journey to Babel,” “Mirror Mirror,” “The Immunity Syndrome,” and “Return to Tomorrow.” Actually, I very much like the ‘challenge the impossible’ episodes like “The Immunity Syndrome” and “Return to Tomorrow,” because they emphasized the heart of Trek – bracing the unknown, charting the uncharitable, and the perpetual yearning for exploration.

We had some better character episodes, such Scotty in “Wolf in the Fold,” but honestly, not a lot of them did the characters proper justice. The best one is “Mirror Mirror” where we see the twisted versions of Our Heroes (except for Spock), which then reminds us of how the crew is supposed to be.

Notably, the one that remains the most develop is Mr. Spock. Amid episodes such “Journey to Babel” and “Amok Time,” we see Spock’s character develop and flourish. He has to deal with both his family and his heritage, finding himself outweighed by his Vulcan side. But I liked the smaller moments of development, like “The Immunity Syndrome” and “Bread and Circuses.”

In a larger, overall sense, TOS season two simply continued the explorations of the Enterprise into deep space. It’s not all good, but don’t get me wrong. I loved season two almost as much as season one, despite its pitfalls. The problems such as continuity aren’t as bad this season. Character development could still use a shot in the arm, but it wasn’t that kind of show back then. Spock got a great spotlight and a lot of the others characters had little moments here and there (I’ll be talk about them more next season).

So yeah, Season Two of TOS was great.

Klingons:
The Klingons and the Federation continued vying for planets to expand their respective governments, resulting in arms races and supplying goods and weaponry with other races and worlds. Among these were Sherman’s Planet, Capella IV, and Neural.

Romulans:
Only one encounter – when Commodore Stocker cuts through the Neutral Zone to get to Starbase Ten. The Romulans attack, but Kirk enlists the Corbomite Maneuver, tricking the Romulans into retreating and allowing Kirk and the Enterprise to pull out.

Old June 14 2010, 07:13 PM   #281
thew40
Commander

Series: The Original Series – Season Three
Episode: “Specter of the Gun”
Trek Installment # 150
Viewing Date: February 15, 2010

Not a good start . . .

It really just doesn’t make sense. Why didn’t the aliens just up and kill them? Why the illusion of the OK Corral? Why the need to make them go through all these hoops? It just lacked common sense – and thus it collapses the entire episode.

Three things that I actually liked about this one:

- the discussion after Chekov was killed; surprisingly only in that this was the first time we’ve seen these characters mourn their fallen crewmates
- the whole “mind over matter” solution
- the storm at the end

That’s all. The aliens were stupid, the premise was weak and flawed, and it all just sucked.

Old June 16 2010, 01:30 AM   #282
thew40
Commander

Episode: “Elaan of Troyius”
Trek Installment # 151
Viewing Date: February 15, 2010

Not the best episode, but light-years above the malaise of the past few. I found Elaan to be extremely annoying and just completely unlikeable – but it was nice to finally have a woman who was a real bitch and pretty manipulative. She was great in that way and I appreciated that above the norm of Trek women thus far. There are some notable exceptions, but she was by far the strongest character. Of course, even then, she needed to learn her lessons.

Other than that, I did like the battle with the Klingons. Added some excitement to the episode. I also liked the ambassador. He was a very different character than what we’re used to. I do also wish we had seen the wedding itself – would have been cool to see an alien wedding between two different cultures.

The Klingons themselves kept up their Cold War tactics of trying to claim resources and planets. I liked that. Overall, an average episode, but a good average episode.

Old June 16 2010, 01:40 AM   #283
Chrisisall
Commodore

Trek Installment # 151
Thew, I humbly suggest you stop wherever you are in season 3 & sell the set. I LOVED that ep, and if you did not, the rest of the season will probably suck much worse for you.
Chrisisall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2010, 01:50 AM   #284
Chrisisall
Commodore

Episode: “The Omega Glory”
Trek Installment # 148
And this is one of my top five episodes. If you feel the scientific plausibility (or lack thereof) of an alternate Earth somehow finding its way into our Universe trumps the message of hidden truths that motivate us to the point of fanaticism or sheer cool character stuff, then the technobabble of TNG might be a better way to go- they explain (& overexplain) everything.
Chrisisall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2010, 01:55 AM   #285
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Chrisisall wrote: View Post
Trek Installment # 151
Thew, I humbly suggest you stop wherever you are in season 3 & sell the set. I LOVED that ep, and if you did not, the rest of the season will probably suck much worse for you.
I find it average and it's not even in my top 10 from season 3, so I suggest you don't sell it.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote