Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old March 3 2010, 09:03 PM   #211
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile
Re: Treking through all Star Trek

thew40 wrote: View Post
Series: The Original Series – Season One
Episode: “The Galileo Seven”
Trek Installment # 107
Grade: A
Viewing Date: December 11, 2009

This was one of my favorite episodes. In fact, the one scene I don’t like is the very end, when everyone was laughing so freaking hard, it looked like they were hit with a Joker bomb.

Spock was obviously the star of the episode and received a ton of great characterization and development. His struggle to use only logic in a command situation and eventually having everything collapse in the end was very well executed. His final decision, being an illogical and emotional one, ended being the right one. Spock’s command style and internal conflict notwithstanding, his approach with the fellow officers, from denying a proper funeral to finally helping with one, marks the same kind of arc from logic to emotion – though it came off as more of an attempt appease the humans.

Everyone else was spot on. Kirk had a great scene at the end, when he learned that they were alive. Fantastic acting by Shatner. His stubborn and intense search of the planet was pretty cool and I loved his back-talk to the commissioner. Sulu and Uhura had small roles, but were pretty important overall. McCoy gave Spock reminders that he needed to embrace his humanity; Scotty was a miracle-worker. The Redshirts were pretty smart and spot-on for being Redshirts.

The special effects (as I’m watching the remastered versions) were pretty cool too – the quasar itself was neat and the shuttle’s thrusters in orbit was cool. Even the aliens and the planet were well done.

Overall, a great episode filled with the kind of emotion, suspense, and drama that one would expect from Star Trek. I could watch it again – easy.
You know, I usually go against fandom when they say that the bottle episodes were the worst. I like those that take place entirely on the various Enterprises, Voyager, or the DS9 station the best, but this episode has always been an exception to that. One of the things I like best about it is that like "The Thoilan Web", it pairs off Spock and McCoy away from Kirk and shows us what their relationship is like without him. That and we get to see in both cases, the kind of Captain Spock would make.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2010, 02:53 AM   #212
thew40
Commander

Just a head's up, gang. I'll be off the grid for a couple of days while I switch Internet providers, so up-dates will be particularly sparse. I don't know how long this will take.

-----

Episode: “Arena”
Trek Installment # 113
Grade: B-
Viewing Date: December 26, 2009

What really got me about this episode was that it had these little glimmers of greatness. Mentioning the Cetus Three was an incursion on Gorn space added a nice layer to the conflict. The battle in the beginning, while a little on the over-dramatic side, was pretty cool and we’ve never seen anything like that on Trek before.

The core of the story – which is the battle between Kirk and the Gorn with the Metrons judging them – is pretty solid. But it falls apart when Kirk fights the Gorn. I know, the special effects back then were, well, what they were, but . . . it looked like he was fighting Godzilla. Admittedly, it wasn’t that bad when Kirk was on his own and the Gorn was wandering around, but when they were fighting . . . ugh.

I was also disappointed that the re-mastered guys didn’t use a little bit of artistic license and create a Gorn ship.

On top of that, the whole “build a cannon” thing was really contrived. It worked, I guess, but it was just so . . . ugh . . . convenient. I really didn’t care for that either. Taken from a story point of view, this episode was pretty decent, which is why it’s getting the rating it’s getting.

Treking Through All Star Trek
Watching all Star Trek in chronological order
thew40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2010, 11:26 AM   #213
apenpaap
Commodore

Cogratulations! You're now as far as I got with my chronological review thread before giving up. One more episode, and you've beaten me.
Old March 5 2010, 05:52 PM   #214
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

thew40 wrote: View Post
I was also disappointed that the re-mastered guys didn’t use a little bit of artistic license and create a Gorn ship.
They did, actually! They just never got it into the episode.
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2010, 06:14 PM   #215
thew40
Commander

apenpaap wrote: View Post
Cogratulations! You're now as far as I got with my chronological review thread before giving up. One more episode, and you've beaten me.
KA-POW!

Episode: “The Alternative Factor”
Trek Installment # 114
Grade: C

I really have no idea what the hell I just watched, but I did in fact like it.

This episode melted my brain. First there's Lazarus, who is lying and telling everyone he's chasing some super-evil anti-life guy. And then he goes in and out of being sane and insane. His beard is constantly changing. His ship looks like something from the Jetsons. There's time travel, holes through space, an anti-matter universe, head wounds that disappear then reappear, crazy negative brawls, and stolen dilithium crystals. Not to the mentioned the universe blinked out of existence like five times!

CRAZY.

Really need Daniels to come and clean this up.

Anyways, even with all this madness, it wasn’t too bad of an episode. I liked Charlene Master’s character, small part that it was. The tragic fate of both sane and insane Lazarus was well delivered and I liked Kirk’s brooding on it.

(I cheated with this review a little -- I actually used a portion of a post I did in the TOS forum. Lazy!)

----

I'll be off-line for a few more days as I deal with some really idiotic internet issues. Further, my hope was to have the Trek through Trek done before me and Mrs. W had any babies.

Whoops.

She's six weeks pregnant. If it's a boy, I'm so naming him Spock.

Old March 8 2010, 07:18 PM   #216
apenpaap
Commodore

Congratulations! Both on beating my review thread and W. junior.
Old March 12 2010, 01:45 AM   #217
thew40
Commander

apenpaap wrote: View Post
Congratulations! Both on beating my review thread and W. junior.
Thanks buddy!

Episode: “Tomorrow is Yesterday”
Trek Installment # 115
Grade: B-

Ah, yes. A nice and simple time traveling episode. Unlike the previous episode’s debacle and without having to wonder what it has to with the Temporal Cold War, this was a nice straight-forward, fun episode that just got a little weird at the end.

Like, really, what was up with the transporter?

But this episode was pretty good. I really liked Captain Christopher’s character and thought he was fun. However, I do have to point out just how contrived the time travel was in this one. They hit a black hole and are tossed into the past, and just happen to park right above Earth. It would have made more sense if they had been heading towards Earth instead of “generally in that direction.” [sic]

Like I mentioned, the time warp + transporter solution at the end was a little bizarre. I didn’t like it at all. It just felt . . . cheap, I guess. But I did like the episode. Like I said, it was fun and enjoyable.

Old March 12 2010, 04:58 PM   #218
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

The backwards clock didn't make sense. The fact that they transported people into themselves didn't make sense. The fact that they did this while still at warp speed didn't make sense. The fact that they didn't run into a past version of their own ship didn't make sense.

It just didn't make sense.

I agree it was fun. One of the better examples of CGI enhancing too.
Old March 12 2010, 05:01 PM   #219
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

I remember that I found this episode just OK, and since I had previously heard that it was really good, I found it rather overrated.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2010, 11:38 PM   #220
thew40
Commander

Episode: “The Return of the Archons”
Trek Installment # 116
Grade: C
Viewing Date: December 28, 2009

I wasn’t exactly impressed with this episode as it was just really Kirk knocking out a computer god by feeding it illogic and then basically turning to the pussy behind him and going “well, your society in chaos is all on you, buddy, see ya later.” There’s a certain smugness to that that really kinda bothered me. Yeah, the society sucked ass, but who was Kirk to do that? Just because the starship Archon crashed there shortly after Archer’s time doesn’t mean that the Prime Directive doesn’t apply.

If there’s one thing about Star Trek that I don’t care for, it’s the smug superiority that characters sometimes take on. This attitude that the ‘human way’ of doing things is so much better than anyone else’s. Kirk’s actions may have saved Bones and Sulu and Redshirt, but he just tossed a whole planet into revolutionary chaos. Shouldn’t he have looked for some other way? Or least something more subtle? Computers can be reprogrammed and obviously, the guy who built it was no dummy. Surely he had something positive to say.

The episode in it of itself wasn’t terrible, but these are the sort questions that Spock needed to raise. Why couldn’t Spock just re-program the damn thing? Anyways, that’s how it ended up with a C.

Old March 21 2010, 03:46 AM   #221
thew40
Commander

Episode: “A Taste of Armageddon”
Trek Installment # 117
Grade: C+
Viewing Date: December 28, 2009

The idea of a simulated war resulting in real deaths is interesting, but doesn’t make a lot of sense. How can people handle this? I can’t imagine a society being able to withstand over five centuries of it. It pushes my suspension of disbelief quite a bit. I imagine that the Eminar brain is just wired differently.

Eminar VII is a beautiful planet - very retro. This is going to sound strange, but I really liked hearing “United Federation of Planets.” I also liked Robert Fox, even if he was kind of a prick.

See, this is the kind of episode where I’m okay with Kirk’s actions. They’re similar to “Return of the Archons,” but we have a species that’s space-faring, that has endangered the ship and the crew, and could potentially ignite war with the Federation itself. It just turned out that this was much more thought-out installment, one that really seemed to know what it was trying to say and do.

Old March 21 2010, 04:58 AM   #222
Tiberius
Commodore

Why do you think it's unfeasible?
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2010, 06:00 AM   #223
thew40
Commander

Tiberius wrote: View Post
Why do you think it's unfeasible?
What I didn't get was why the population was okay with this? Why no one was no up in arms about having to volunteer to die like that, just because a computer said that statistically, they had to? It just lacked logic and realism to me.

Old March 23 2010, 01:37 PM   #224
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

Because they feared real war. They went along with it because the alternative terrified them.

I really liked A Taste Of Armageddon; it's one of my favourites from season 1.
Old March 26 2010, 01:13 AM   #225
thew40
Commander

Start Wreck wrote: View Post
Because they feared real war.
Aye, but what was the difference between real war and what was happening to them anyways? Property damage?