Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old February 9 2010, 02:38 PM   #166
thew40
Commander

Re: Treking through all Star Trek

apenpaap wrote: View Post
Mudd's Women was IMO the worst episode of season 1, and I would give it an E at most.
I liked Harry Mudd, so it was too bad for me. The worse is yet to come, for me.

OT, how does one pronounce your screen name? It drives me mad!

Treking Through All Star Trek
Watching all Star Trek in chronological order
thew40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2010, 02:59 PM   #167
apenpaap
Commodore

thew40 wrote: View Post
Both the a at the beginning and the double a are pronounced ah, like in "AAARG!".
How do you pronounce your name?
Old February 9 2010, 03:28 PM   #168
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Mudd's Women was IMO the worst episode of season 1, and I would give it an E at most.
Well, that certainly makes the difference. I couldn't stand Mudd, I thought the actor was overacting horribly (one of my least favorite performances in TOS) and that they were trying to make him into a 'lovable rogue' and it didn't work, not for me anyway. Rogue sure, but lovable, nope. I didn't mind I, Mudd and found that it had some enjoyable moments, despite Mudd rather than because of him, but Mudd's Women is the worst season 1 episode for me. Many others think it's The Alternative Factor, which is also a stinker, but that one is just pointless, while Mudd's Women is annoying.

Nevertheless, season 1 is really strong overall, there are a few stinkers but far less than in season 2 and 3, and you have some great episodes just ahead, and then especially a great stretch of episodes towards the end of the season (in production order that you're using, that is).

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2010, 01:43 AM   #169
thew40
Commander

Series: The Original Series – Season One
Episode: “The Enemy Within”
Trek Installment # 98
Grade: C-
Viewing Date: November 29, 2009

So good Kirk is lazy and evil Kirk is a drunkard.

I can’t say I liked this one much better than its predecessor. It had some interesting qualities. I have a lot of trouble looking past the idea that a transporter can diverge two separate personalities, magic ore or not. But looking past that, it does bring up some interesting questions about a man needing both his ‘good’ side and his ‘bad’ side to keep the other in check.

I really enjoyed the hunt for evil Kirk in Engineering. Actually, the look and feel of Engineering was a nice high point, giving it a larger feel than what we’d see later. It kinda reminded me of Engineering in Star Trek 11, except without the beer smell.

I liked Sulu’s up-beat attitude on the planet. But why don’t they just send down a shuttle for the crew? Or use another transporter?

And the end, when Spock said that evil Kirk had some “interesting qualities” to Rand, I cried foul. Evil Kirk tried to rape her, but because he was crushing on her, that’s okay? What? Am I the only that got that out of that line?

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
Well, that certainly makes the difference. I couldn't stand Mudd, I thought the actor was overacting horribly (one of my least favorite performances in TOS) and that they were trying to make him into a 'lovable rogue' and it didn't work, not for me anyway. Rogue sure, but lovable, nope. I didn't mind I, Mudd and found that it had some enjoyable moments, despite Mudd rather than because of him, but Mudd's Women is the worst season 1 episode for me. Many others think it's The Alternative Factor, which is also a stinker, but that one is just pointless, while Mudd's Women is annoying.

Nevertheless, season 1 is really strong overall, there are a few stinkers but far less than in season 2 and 3, and you have some great episodes just ahead, and then especially a great stretch of episodes towards the end of the season (in production order that you're using, that is).
Season one is great, with some strong homeruns . . . but there are definetly some that are just not up to par. Mudd's Women, I dunno, it just kinda fun. Dorky, kinda stupid, but fun at least.

Old February 10 2010, 01:44 AM   #170
thew40
Commander

Both the a at the beginning and the double a are pronounced ah, like in "AAARG!".
How do you pronounce your name?
THE + double U + FOR T = thew40

Old February 10 2010, 02:16 AM   #171
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

Episode: “The Enemy Within”
Trek Installment # 98
Grade: C-

So good Kirk is lazy and evil Kirk is a drunkard.

I can’t say I liked this one much better than its predecessor. It had some interesting qualities. I have a lot of trouble looking past the idea that a transporter can diverge two separate personalities, magic ore or not. But looking past that, it does bring up some interesting questions about a man needing both his ‘good’ side and his ‘bad’ side to keep the other in check.

I really enjoyed the hunt for evil Kirk in Engineering. Actually, the look and feel of Engineering was a nice high point, giving it a larger feel than what we’d see later. It kinda reminded me of Engineering in Star Trek 11, except without the beer smell.

I liked Sulu’s up-beat attitude on the planet. But why don’t they just send down a shuttle for the crew? Or use another transporter?

And the end, when Spock said that evil Kirk had some “interesting qualities” to Rand, I cried foul. Evil Kirk tried to rape her, but because he was crushing on her, that’s okay? What? Am I the only that got that out of that line?
You're certainly not the only one to be annoyed by that line. Here's just the latest thread about it in the TOS section of the forum: http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=112975

That's that good ole 60s sexism for you again It's the most annoying and outdated part of TOS. Fortunately it doesn't pop up in every episode, not to that extent, anyway, but when it does, it really is grating.

Apart from that line, I quite liked the episode. The basic premise was, of course, silly (and it's hilarious that Bad!Kirk wore eyeliner ) but it had good character moments and I liked what it said about people people having a civilized and an animalistic side, and needing both of them combined to function.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
Old February 12 2010, 12:47 AM   #172
thew40
Commander

F Your Mom wrote: View Post
CKS wrote: View Post
Captain Kirk gratifies anonymous men in bathrooms.
riiiiiight . . .
lol, wut your mom farts lolcats.
I don't understand this. I've read tons of other threads and I seem to be the only getting trolled like this. What the hell?

Old February 12 2010, 12:58 AM   #173
Misfit Toy
Caped Trek Mod

F Your Mom wrote: View Post
CKS wrote: View Post
Captain Kirk gratifies anonymous men in bathrooms.
riiiiiight . . .
lol, wut your mom farts lolcats.
Warning for flaming, but you'll be gone soon anyhow...
Old February 12 2010, 01:14 AM   #174
thew40
Commander

Episode: “The Man Trap”
Trek Installment # 99
Grade: B

I really enjoyed this episode. At times, Star Trek feels like it’s a pulpy short story and this one nailed it with “my ex-girlfriend is a shape-shifting salt monster from space!” It was a lot of fun and developed McCoy very well.

The monster itself was freaking awesome. I wish we had seen more of that thing! The way it shape-shifted was pretty cool for that era, especially early on it when it looked like someone else to everyone. I certainly felt some sympathy for the poor guy – all it needed was a big bag of chips!

There were some neat small scenes in here. I liked the botany lab and the scene with Sulu and Rand. The scene on the bridge with Uhura and Spock very much made me think of the Star Trek 11 and their romance there. The episode did a good job of dividing up attention between Kirk, McCoy, Spock, Sulu, Rand, and Uhura. I really applaud them for that.

That's that good ole 60s sexism for you again It's the most annoying and outdated part of TOS. Fortunately it doesn't pop up in every episode, not to that extent, anyway, but when it does, it really is grating.
It very surprising to see, I guess. The show came off as very progressive . . . except when it came to women.

Old February 12 2010, 12:36 PM   #175
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

There were some neat small scenes in here. I liked the botany lab and the scene with Sulu and Rand. The scene on the bridge with Uhura and Spock very much made me think of the Star Trek 11 and their romance there. The episode did a good job of dividing up attention between Kirk, McCoy, Spock, Sulu, Rand, and Uhura. I really applaud them for that.
That's something I wish they had done more. You see it in early episodes like The Man Trap, The Naked Time or Charlie X, and then the other characters pretty much fade into the background (though Scotty did get a bit more screentime occasionally) as the show starts to focus on Kirk/Spock/McCoy - don't get me wrong, they were great, but it wouldn't have hurt to give some attention to the other characters as well.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
Old February 13 2010, 06:41 PM   #176
thew40
Commander

That's something I wish they had done more. You see it in early episodes like The Man Trap, The Naked Time or Charlie X, and then the other characters pretty much fade into the background (though Scotty did get a bit more screentime occasionally) as the show starts to focus on Kirk/Spock/McCoy - don't get me wrong, they were great, but it wouldn't have hurt to give some attention to the other characters as well.
Exactly! Sometimes the characters given something to do, but much past those episodes, those little scens with the secondary characters are lost.

----

Episode: “The Naked Time”
Trek Installment # 100
Grade: A -

100 episodes! Yay!

Anyways, this was huge one with lots of character revelations and explorations. Spock’s emotional break-down after having to reject Nurse Chapel was just awesome. Nimoy did such a good job at portraying this frank and rather jarring sequence. Additionally, I really enjoyed Kirk’s struggle between command and Rand.

Sulu’s palling around with Riley was appreciated as it further revealed more about Sulu – being into botany and fencing. Further, I liked Riley; this entire episode showed off the more community feeling of the crew. Uhura had some strong moments here – notably when Sulu tried to grab her and she broke free as well as when she took navigation.

The revelations and exposure of these characters at their wildest helps us get an idea as to how they normally don’t behave. It’s kinda interesting.

The decontamination scene in the transporter room reminded me of “how far they’ve come” considering the decon chamber back on the NX-01.

The whole time warp thing at the end was a little strange and didn’t make a ton of sense outside of Spock’s crazy calculations. What was the point of that? Establish it so they can do it again? Strange.

Old February 14 2010, 04:27 AM   #177
KobayashiMaru13
Captain

View KobayashiMaru13's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to KobayashiMaru13

Shut up! Stop spamming obscene comments.
KobayashiMaru13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2010, 04:30 AM   #178
KobayashiMaru13
Captain

View KobayashiMaru13's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to KobayashiMaru13

Seriously, stop or I will report all of these posts and your account will be closed.
Old February 14 2010, 04:33 AM   #179
KobayashiMaru13
Captain

Stop.
Old February 14 2010, 04:37 AM   #180
KobayashiMaru13
Captain

Thank you admin!