TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old September 21 2009, 10:46 PM   #31
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Re: Cooking Abomination!! XD

I've had some pretty amazing experiences in the kitchen. A few years back, I learned the hard way that if you put the flame to an alcohol-rich sauce right after adding said alcohol, you'll get a cool little blue flame on the saucepan--but if you allow a few seconds worth of alcohol to vaporize while fumbling with the torch, you will get a column of flame in your kitchen that is truly spectacular. Holding a straight face while claiming "that's what I meant to do" was never so hard. That said, don't add alcohol to the saucepan directly from the bottle. The stream of booze can catch on fire, leaving you holding an exploding bottle, and picking glass shards out of your skin and mise en place.

I also tried to boil an egg in the microwave once. The egg exploded with enough force to blow open the door of the microwave and sprayed scalding hot egg goo in a six-foot radius. (I did later discover that you can poach eggs in the dishwasher, which is fucking awesome.)

I think my ultimate kitchen abortion came when I started frying up a pound of bacon, without washing the pan from the last time I made bacon in it. Stepped away for a few minutes, returned to the kitchen to see massive flames. I actually wound up chucking the flaming pan off my second-floor balcony. (Which was an awesome thought process, looking back: "Oh, shit, the pan's on fire ... what do I do? I know! Launch it off the balcony, possibly killing / immolating / bashing passers-by? Brilliant!")

Oh, and if you're going to be dicing habañeros (or other hot peppers), wash your fucking hands before you engage in carnal activities with the wife.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2009, 10:52 PM   #32
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Timby wrote: View Post
(I did later discover that you can poach eggs in the dishwasher, which is fucking awesome.)
Like, just put an egg in the rack and go? Because that's awesome.

Oh, and if you're going to be dicing habañeros (or other hot peppers), wash your fucking hands before you engage in carnal activities with the wife.
What? I'd think that would spice things up!

...ow. Stop throwing things.
Old September 21 2009, 10:53 PM   #33
Plecostomus
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Plecostomus

(I did later discover that you can poach eggs in the dishwasher, which is fucking awesome.)
Details?

Indeed. Been there... done that...
Plecostomus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2009, 10:57 PM   #34
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
Like, just put an egg in the rack and go? Because that's awesome.
Wrap it in foil (and I also recommend not using any soap in the cycle, just to be sure), put it in the rack and tally-ho.
Old September 21 2009, 11:11 PM   #35
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

I watched my Mom poach a salmon that way. Wrapped it in tin foil (several times) and put it in the top rack and turned on the dishwasher. It worked, actually. No soap, no other dishes in it---just turned on hot wash.

My hubby, in his brilliance, decided to make meatloaf one night, even though we had NOTHING in the house but ketchup, one egg and ground beef. So, to make it stick together, he crushed up a whole box of Cheez-Its and used it instead of cornmeal or breadcrumbs. It was fairly vile, and I tease him about it to this day.

And then there was the time hubby wanted brined pork chops. No problem, right? Well, it was, when instead of putting in sugar and salt, I got distracted and put the salt in TWICE. And I didn't realize it until we were actually eating it.

BLEH.
Old September 21 2009, 11:19 PM   #36
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

auntiehill wrote: View Post
And then there was the time hubby wanted brined pork chops. No problem, right? Well, it was, when instead of putting in sugar and salt, I got distracted and put the salt in TWICE. And I didn't realize it until we were actually eating it.

BLEH.
Reminds me of the time when, oh, I was ten years old or so, and put two cups of salt into mashed potatoes, instead of teaspoons.

Sweet Christ, that was horrible.
Old September 21 2009, 11:24 PM   #37
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Not quite as horrible, but when I was a kid, before learning the ways of notation, I took the "3/4 cup milk" instruction on the side of a packet of oatmeal to mean "3 or 4 cups." So I made oatmeal with 4 cups of milk. Yay.
Old September 22 2009, 12:32 AM   #38
Australis
Writer

You guys have it easy. This is nothin', nothin', I tells ya.

Baked beans in tomato sauce.

How will we spice them up? says No 1 son. Oh, I know, says SO. Sweet and sour sauce.

Not a good day. The word inedible doesn't even start to describe it.

That is all.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."

Last edited by Australis; September 22 2009 at 02:45 PM.
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2009, 12:40 AM   #39
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

^It's odd. That sounds like it could work. My faith in food has been shaken.
Old September 22 2009, 12:47 AM   #40
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I can only imagine how bad the farts must have been that night.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2009, 12:51 AM   #41
backstept
Rear Admiral

View backstept's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to backstept Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to backstept

I've made some great spicy dipping sauce by mixing tabasco, ranch, barbecue and some extra red pepper flake and the 'italian' seasoning herb mix
Old September 22 2009, 12:51 AM   #42
Plecostomus
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Plecostomus

I'm surprised Timby has survived as long as he has. Yikes!
Plecostomus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2009, 12:58 AM   #43
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

I thought of something. My little sister used to make Lazy Grilled Cheese Sandwiches. She'd toast bread in the toaster, and then throw a slice of cheese in the middle and microwave it.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2009, 12:59 AM   #44
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

My sister-in-law once roasted a Thanksgiving turkey with the neck and giblets package still inside.

Made for an ... interesting aroma and presentation.

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
I thought of something. My little sister used to make Lazy Grilled Cheese Sandwiches. She'd toast bread in the toaster, and then throw a slice of cheese in the middle and microwave it.
Young lady, in this house we will have croque-monsieur and we will use fucking gruyere, damn it!
Old September 22 2009, 01:20 AM   #45
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
My parents used to do that. I would fight with them.