Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Closed Thread

Old September 18 2009, 04:10 AM   #1
Andonagio
Commander

Why is Firefly's Cancellation So Unforgiveable?

TV stations have canceled a lot of good shows over the decades before their time, but I've never seen as much of a grudge held against a TV station as viewers did toward Fox for canceling Firefly. Never mind that Fox canceled a number of other good shows as well (Futurama, Family Guy, etc.): it seems like canceling Firefly was the move that classified Fox as THE station unfriendly to science fiction.

So what is it about Firefly that makes it different from so many other canceled shows? Why do the fans of this show seem more rabid compared to so many other fan bases?
Old September 18 2009, 04:28 AM   #2
the Dagman
Commodore

Re: Why is Firefly's Cancellation So Unforgiveable?

I am someone who never got into the show (nor anything else Joss Whedon has done. His work doesn't do anything for me), but the reason it is unforgivable even to me is that none of the hard core fans of the show will shut up about it even now, years and years later.
Old September 18 2009, 04:30 AM   #3
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Hard core fans of *anything* never shut up. Browncoats don't seem any different.
Old September 18 2009, 04:36 AM   #4
RoJoHen
Awesome

The main reason people were most upset about Firefly's cancellation is that it almost seemed like FOX was trying to doom it from the start. Had the show been presented with original premiere, in order, without being pre-empted by sports, it might have actually stood a chance at succeeding. FOX never even let it try to succeed.
Old September 18 2009, 04:36 AM   #5
the Dagman
Commodore

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Hard core fans of *anything* never shut up. Browncoats don't seem any different.
At least I would give them this if I could to quiet the bitching. At least then, the talking about the show would be largely limited to the weekly episode discussion threads. But it would have to be that Jayne was written out of the show or recast. Because I need Adam Baldwin for my favorite show currently in production, Chuck.

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
The main reason people were most upset about Firefly's cancellation is that it almost seemed like FOX was trying to doom it from the start. Had the show been presented with original premiere, in order, without being pre-empted by sports, it might have actually stood a chance at succeeding. FOX never even let it try to succeed.
That reminds me very much of my own feelings about CBS in the early 90s regarding the Flash tv show with John Wesley Shipp playing Barry Allen.
Old September 18 2009, 04:57 AM   #6
ManOnTheWave
Rear Admiral

the Dagman wrote: View Post
That reminds me very much of my own feelings about CBS in the early 90s regarding the Flash tv show with John Wesley Shipp playing Barry Allen.
I remember that. There were like three weeks of consecutive episodes, and then it was spotty at best. I honestly thought it ran a few weeks and got canceled. Then it would show up again in odd times, sometimes unannounced, sometimes showing only half an episode because of some event programing.

As for hate against FOX, firefly was only one of like thirty shows they killed before letting them find legs. FOX deserved the hate.
Old September 18 2009, 05:04 AM   #7
Chrisisall
Commodore

Fox killed Brisco, Dark Angel & Firefly; they deserve to die.
Old September 18 2009, 05:19 AM   #8
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral

They really should've come up with a therapy program for fans to help them come to terms with the cancellation. I suggested it years ago.
Old September 18 2009, 05:50 AM   #9
Checkmate
Commodore

Bad ratings are bad ratings. Can't blame a station for people not tuning in, especially for one they advertised as much as they did (and they most certainly did despite the rabid fanbois protests; I remember seeing the ads on other channels at the time).

I'm personally disappointed that the Adventures of Brisco County Jr. was cancelled, but it was hardly Fox's fault.

People just can't seem to accept that their personal preferences in a show aren't necessarily the same as everyone else.
Old September 18 2009, 06:25 AM   #10
paudemge
Captain

I don't think it is unforgivable. I never saw it in the original run, but when i started to watch in reruns I thought it was a very good show. But as others have said it is just another show, I got hooked on Deadwood via dvd's and it stopped while it was still very good. If they don't get the ratings they don't get the chance to thrive.I wouldn't blame Fox, they don't want to cancel shows
Old September 18 2009, 06:32 AM   #11
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Checkmate wrote: View Post
People just can't seem to accept that their personal preferences in a show aren't necessarily the same as everyone else.
Quite.

We are not the network. We don't know what it's like to run one. We don't know jack shit, really.

In the end, TV shows really only exist as an excuse to make ads. (Although if execs thought they could get away with making a channel that showed nothing BUT ads, 24 hours a day, I think they'd try.) So any show that doesn't bring in ratings, doesn't sell products, and is therefore useless to the bottom line. Sad, really, but that's the reality of it.
Old September 18 2009, 09:19 AM   #12
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

It wasn't unforgiveable. It's just the way things go. Since I only saw the series a couple of years after it aired, it makes no difference to me one way or another.
Old September 18 2009, 09:35 AM   #13
Rii
Rear Admiral

the reason it is unforgivable even to me is that none of the hard core fans of the show will shut up about it even now, years and years later.
I think you mean "detractors".
Old September 18 2009, 10:08 AM   #14
cultcross
Say my name...

the reason it is unforgivable even to me is that none of the hard core fans of the show will shut up about it even now, years and years later.
As a poster on a Star Trek board, that statement strikes me as... ironic.
Old September 18 2009, 12:14 PM   #15
the Dagman
Commodore

Rii wrote: View Post
I think you mean "detractors".
If the Browncoats would be quiet and people stop making threads about the damn thing, you'd never hear me mention it again. At least I said if it was in my power I'd give you people the show back. Anything, just to shut you up about it.