Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed

Trek Big Bang Figures

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 20 2009, 04:56 PM   #31
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Is Comcast going to implode?

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ What about the dish being physically knocked off your roof? That's always a risk during a storm, innit?

And don't you still have to have two dishes - one for normal service and one for local channels?
Nah. We've had gale-force winds in Indiana (50+ mph) and the dish doesn't even budget.

You only need one dish, too. Current dishes can handle both the regular signal and the "spot beam" used for local channels.
Old September 20 2009, 05:13 PM   #32
thedude
Lieutenant Commander

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post

Nah. We've had gale-force winds in Indiana (50+ mph) and the dish doesn't even budget.
You really should instill better spending habits in your dish so that it doesn't go into debt... nothing worse than a broke dish!
thedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2009, 09:41 PM   #33
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

thedude wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post

You really should instill better spending habits in your dish so that it doesn't go into debt... nothing worse than a broke dish!
Shit! Obviously, I meant budge. Stupid typos.
Old September 20 2009, 11:20 PM   #34
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

^ It's OK. My dish doesn't budgie either, but other birds have been known to perch on it.

My mom is looking into getting internet, and CC says they don't offer it in her area...those idiots. On top of it, her cable TV looks like crap most of the time, I'm gonna talk her into getting the DISH, more channels for less $$ anyway.

Then she'll have to settle for some other form of internet access.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2009, 11:42 PM   #35
HairOfTheDog
Lieutenant Commander

Satellite tv FTW.

Dish Network customer, here.
HairOfTheDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2009, 12:10 AM   #36
melancholymecha
Rear Admiral

cylkoth wrote: View Post
Soon, ConCrap-as well as other cable cos, will be reducing basic cable service down to a bare minimum 22 channels, mostly, the local broadcast stations, and a few low rent basic networks. The AVS forum (avsforum.com) is filled with posts from around the country mentioning ConCrap switching to a predominantly digital model, where they provide you with 1 or 2 cheap jack free QAM tuner like boxes to unscramble the Extended Basic tier.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1170940
that sucks! we can only afford Comcast basic + expanded!
We also have Comcast for highspeed internet. I dont know about satellite, being from Miami we get lots of rain/storms.
melancholymecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2009, 12:22 AM   #37
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Most of these are complaints that have been prevalent about cable service since the industry's beginnings.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2009, 03:12 AM   #38
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
^ It's OK. My dish doesn't budgie either, but other birds have been known to perch on it.

My mom is looking into getting internet, and CC says they don't offer it in her area...those idiots. On top of it, her cable TV looks like crap most of the time, I'm gonna talk her into getting the DISH, more channels for less $$ anyway.

Then she'll have to settle for some other form of internet access.
Is DSL available in her area? There's also wireless broadband, although all the major providers cap that, as far as I know. I had DSL at one time and was quite happy with it.
Old September 21 2009, 03:22 AM   #39
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Pretty much every other option is available. I hoped to get her the CC for the lower price since she already has the cable TV.

AT&T is probably the way to go, I don't figure she's going to be an internet junkie like me.
Old September 21 2009, 07:46 AM   #40
TemporalFlux
Commodore

I know how you feel about Comcast; I have the same thing with the Cable One monopoly in my town. We only get about 60 network and cable channels, and there's only 25 or so that are available as HD.

Of course, satellite is an option for people who can use it; but in a rural city, you often run into the problems of immovable obstructions to the signal (such as the large number of trees surrounding the house of one of my friends). For me, the problem is that my property is a lightning rod due to an underground river; any satellite dish I put up would be struck by lighting and fried a day or two after installation.

I've been hoping AT&T cable will become available here, but most of the phone lines in my town are still century old copper and thus unable to carry the signal. They are replacing with fiber optics, but it's at a snail's pace; they don't even had an ETA on it (and given that my area still doesn't even have something easy like AT&T 3G, I can't imagine the fiber optics will be finished within the next 15 years).
TemporalFlux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2009, 02:21 PM   #41
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

Are they still okay for internet? That's what my roommate and I were gonna go with in October when our Cricket account expires.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2009, 05:50 PM   #42
Sheep
Vice Admiral

barnaclelapse wrote: View Post
Are they still okay for internet? That's what my roommate and I were gonna go with in October when our Cricket account expires.
I have them for broadband only in Chicago--they've been fine so far.

Back in SF when I had them for broadband and cable, our cable modem died twice (in just over 3 years) but hassle-free replacements fixed the problems quickly.
Old September 23 2009, 06:27 AM   #43
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

TemporalFlux wrote: View Post
I know how you feel about Comcast; I have the same thing with the Cable One monopoly in my town. We only get about 60 network and cable channels, and there's only 25 or so that are available as HD.

Of course, satellite is an option for people who can use it; but in a rural city, you often run into the problems of immovable obstructions to the signal (such as the large number of trees surrounding the house of one of my friends). For me, the problem is that my property is a lightning rod due to an underground river; any satellite dish I put up would be struck by lighting and fried a day or two after installation.

I've been hoping AT&T cable will become available here, but most of the phone lines in my town are still century old copper and thus unable to carry the signal. They are replacing with fiber optics, but it's at a snail's pace; they don't even had an ETA on it (and given that my area still doesn't even have something easy like AT&T 3G, I can't imagine the fiber optics will be finished within the next 15 years).
Even if it's mounted to a wooden 4x4? If so, put an actual lightning rod kinda near it and ground that really good. Lightning should go for that instead.

Sheep wrote: View Post
I have them for broadband only in Chicago--they've been fine so far.

Back in SF when I had them for broadband and cable, our cable modem died twice (in just over 3 years) but hassle-free replacements fixed the problems quickly.
I bought a Linksys myself, I had read the default ComCast ones were pretty much crap.
Old September 23 2009, 06:39 AM   #44
stonn270
Cadet

Totally agree with how much it sucks, I had to go for a replacement modem because the one we "lease" for $1.50mo. died and Now they are removing cartoon network and moving it to the digital only package requiring home uses to get boxes for all the extra old analog TV. They provide two "free" but I am sure there will be a hidden cost some were down the road. Come next year, they will place all uses in my area on digital for all the good station (ch. 15-78) and only broadcast analog signals for (ch. 2-14) So basically your stuck going to digital. & Dish TV; our dish network provider alternative has been forced out of the area due to service problems.
stonn270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2009, 08:20 AM   #45
TemporalFlux
Commodore

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
Even if it's mounted to a wooden 4x4? If so, put an actual lightning rod kinda near it and ground that really good. Lightning should go for that instead.
We've grounded everything at my house six ways from Sunday; we've had multiple professionals look into it. Nothing helps. They keep telling us it's the underground river, but maybe we're on a junction of two magnetic ley lines or something (hell, as good an explanation as any at this point ).
TemporalFlux is online now   Reply With Quote