RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,235
Posts: 5,406,290
Members: 24,762
Currently online: 656
Newest member: PaulHicks

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek Online Adds More Voyager Actors
By: T'Bonz on Sep 2

The Wil Wheaton Project Axed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 2

Kurtzman’s Production Company Signs Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 2

Retro Review: Time’s Orphan
By: Michelle on Aug 30

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 20 2009, 04:56 PM   #31
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: A broken roof
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Is Comcast going to implode?

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ What about the dish being physically knocked off your roof? That's always a risk during a storm, innit?

And don't you still have to have two dishes - one for normal service and one for local channels?
Nah. We've had gale-force winds in Indiana (50+ mph) and the dish doesn't even budget.

You only need one dish, too. Current dishes can handle both the regular signal and the "spot beam" used for local channels.
__________________
It's all false love and affection
I has a blag.
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2009, 05:13 PM   #32
thedude
Lieutenant Commander
 
thedude's Avatar
 
Location: Central Illinois
Re: Is Comcast going to implode?

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post

Nah. We've had gale-force winds in Indiana (50+ mph) and the dish doesn't even budget.
You really should instill better spending habits in your dish so that it doesn't go into debt... nothing worse than a broke dish!
thedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2009, 09:41 PM   #33
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: A broken roof
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Is Comcast going to implode?

thedude wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post

Nah. We've had gale-force winds in Indiana (50+ mph) and the dish doesn't even budget.
You really should instill better spending habits in your dish so that it doesn't go into debt... nothing worse than a broke dish!
Shit! Obviously, I meant budge. Stupid typos.
__________________
It's all false love and affection
I has a blag.
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2009, 11:20 PM   #34
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral
 
Ar-Pharazon's Avatar
 
Re: Is Comcast going to implode?

^ It's OK. My dish doesn't budgie either, but other birds have been known to perch on it.

My mom is looking into getting internet, and CC says they don't offer it in her area...those idiots. On top of it, her cable TV looks like crap most of the time, I'm gonna talk her into getting the DISH, more channels for less $$ anyway.

Then she'll have to settle for some other form of internet access.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2009, 11:42 PM   #35
HairOfTheDog
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: Is Comcast going to implode?

Satellite tv FTW.

Dish Network customer, here.
HairOfTheDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2009, 12:10 AM   #36
melancholymecha
Rear Admiral
 
melancholymecha's Avatar
 
Re: Is Comcast going to implode?

cylkoth wrote: View Post
Soon, ConCrap-as well as other cable cos, will be reducing basic cable service down to a bare minimum 22 channels, mostly, the local broadcast stations, and a few low rent basic networks. The AVS forum (avsforum.com) is filled with posts from around the country mentioning ConCrap switching to a predominantly digital model, where they provide you with 1 or 2 cheap jack free QAM tuner like boxes to unscramble the Extended Basic tier.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1170940
that sucks! we can only afford Comcast basic + expanded!
We also have Comcast for highspeed internet. I dont know about satellite, being from Miami we get lots of rain/storms.
melancholymecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2009, 12:22 AM   #37
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Is Comcast going to implode?

Most of these are complaints that have been prevalent about cable service since the industry's beginnings.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2009, 03:12 AM   #38
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: A broken roof
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Is Comcast going to implode?

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
^ It's OK. My dish doesn't budgie either, but other birds have been known to perch on it.

My mom is looking into getting internet, and CC says they don't offer it in her area...those idiots. On top of it, her cable TV looks like crap most of the time, I'm gonna talk her into getting the DISH, more channels for less $$ anyway.

Then she'll have to settle for some other form of internet access.
Is DSL available in her area? There's also wireless broadband, although all the major providers cap that, as far as I know. I had DSL at one time and was quite happy with it.
__________________
It's all false love and affection
I has a blag.
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2009, 03:22 AM   #39
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral
 
Ar-Pharazon's Avatar
 
Re: Is Comcast going to implode?

Pretty much every other option is available. I hoped to get her the CC for the lower price since she already has the cable TV.

AT&T is probably the way to go, I don't figure she's going to be an internet junkie like me.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2009, 07:46 AM   #40
TemporalFlux
Commodore
 
TemporalFlux's Avatar
 
Location: The End of Time
Re: Is Comcast going to implode?

I know how you feel about Comcast; I have the same thing with the Cable One monopoly in my town. We only get about 60 network and cable channels, and there's only 25 or so that are available as HD.

Of course, satellite is an option for people who can use it; but in a rural city, you often run into the problems of immovable obstructions to the signal (such as the large number of trees surrounding the house of one of my friends). For me, the problem is that my property is a lightning rod due to an underground river; any satellite dish I put up would be struck by lighting and fried a day or two after installation.

I've been hoping AT&T cable will become available here, but most of the phone lines in my town are still century old copper and thus unable to carry the signal. They are replacing with fiber optics, but it's at a snail's pace; they don't even had an ETA on it (and given that my area still doesn't even have something easy like AT&T 3G, I can't imagine the fiber optics will be finished within the next 15 years).
TemporalFlux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2009, 02:21 PM   #41
barnaclelapse
Commodore
 
barnaclelapse's Avatar
 
Location: Waverly, VA.
Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse
Re: Is Comcast going to implode?

Are they still okay for internet? That's what my roommate and I were gonna go with in October when our Cricket account expires.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2009, 05:50 PM   #42
Sheep
Vice Admiral
 
Sheep's Avatar
 
Location: Chicago
Re: Is Comcast going to implode?

barnaclelapse wrote: View Post
Are they still okay for internet? That's what my roommate and I were gonna go with in October when our Cricket account expires.
I have them for broadband only in Chicago--they've been fine so far.

Back in SF when I had them for broadband and cable, our cable modem died twice (in just over 3 years) but hassle-free replacements fixed the problems quickly.
__________________
Hating the anti-intellectual movement since before it was actually a movement.
Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2009, 06:27 AM   #43
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral
 
Ar-Pharazon's Avatar
 
Re: Is Comcast going to implode?

TemporalFlux wrote: View Post
I know how you feel about Comcast; I have the same thing with the Cable One monopoly in my town. We only get about 60 network and cable channels, and there's only 25 or so that are available as HD.

Of course, satellite is an option for people who can use it; but in a rural city, you often run into the problems of immovable obstructions to the signal (such as the large number of trees surrounding the house of one of my friends). For me, the problem is that my property is a lightning rod due to an underground river; any satellite dish I put up would be struck by lighting and fried a day or two after installation.

I've been hoping AT&T cable will become available here, but most of the phone lines in my town are still century old copper and thus unable to carry the signal. They are replacing with fiber optics, but it's at a snail's pace; they don't even had an ETA on it (and given that my area still doesn't even have something easy like AT&T 3G, I can't imagine the fiber optics will be finished within the next 15 years).
Even if it's mounted to a wooden 4x4? If so, put an actual lightning rod kinda near it and ground that really good. Lightning should go for that instead.


Sheep wrote: View Post
I have them for broadband only in Chicago--they've been fine so far.

Back in SF when I had them for broadband and cable, our cable modem died twice (in just over 3 years) but hassle-free replacements fixed the problems quickly.
I bought a Linksys myself, I had read the default ComCast ones were pretty much crap.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2009, 06:39 AM   #44
stonn270
Cadet
 
Re: Is Comcast going to implode?

Totally agree with how much it sucks, I had to go for a replacement modem because the one we "lease" for $1.50mo. died and Now they are removing cartoon network and moving it to the digital only package requiring home uses to get boxes for all the extra old analog TV. They provide two "free" but I am sure there will be a hidden cost some were down the road. Come next year, they will place all uses in my area on digital for all the good station (ch. 15-78) and only broadcast analog signals for (ch. 2-14) So basically your stuck going to digital. & Dish TV; our dish network provider alternative has been forced out of the area due to service problems.
stonn270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2009, 08:20 AM   #45
TemporalFlux
Commodore
 
TemporalFlux's Avatar
 
Location: The End of Time
Re: Is Comcast going to implode?

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
Even if it's mounted to a wooden 4x4? If so, put an actual lightning rod kinda near it and ground that really good. Lightning should go for that instead.
We've grounded everything at my house six ways from Sunday; we've had multiple professionals look into it. Nothing helps. They keep telling us it's the underground river, but maybe we're on a junction of two magnetic ley lines or something (hell, as good an explanation as any at this point ).
TemporalFlux is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
cable television, comcast, corporations, economy, opinion

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.