TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 24 2009, 10:06 AM   #1
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.
Alcoholic white trash Janeway! "Mercy" me!

I needed something to kill time before Glee tonight. I settled on NBC's new medical drama Mercy. I usually can't stand medical dramas, but now I'll watch practically anything on NBC out of pity. (Although... the more their line up fails, the longer they keep renewing my precious Law & Order.)

Anyway, in the first scene, who should saunter in in a drunken stupor but Captain Janeway! She's three sheets to the wind and it looks like it's only 9 in the morning! It looks like she'll be a recurring fixture here as the main character's alcholic mother. I gotta say, this is the funniest thing I've seen in a while. That husky voice of hers seems far more suited to drunken rantings than to giving orders aboard a starship.

The rest of the show is kinda meh. Veronica is hot & sassy. Michelle Tractenberg reminds me why she was one of my least favorite characters on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Overall, I'd say Mercy is like Scrubs except it's not pretending to be funny.
Old September 24 2009, 01:55 PM   #2
Alpha_Geek
Commodore

Re: Alcoholic white trash Janeway! "Mercy" me!

I avoided the premiere of "She-House". Was Mulgrew talking trash about Jeri Ryan, by chance?
Alpha_Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2009, 08:14 PM   #3
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

I watched the pilot. I won't be watching any more. They should have just named Trachtenberg's character Dawn Summers. It would have saved confusion.

As for the show, I HATE the trend of making adultery the sympathetic thread in a storyline, i.e., writing a show so you WANT the main character to end their marriage so they can get together with their TRUE love. Bah.
Old September 24 2009, 09:28 PM   #4
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Sakrysta wrote: View Post
I watched the pilot. I won't be watching any more. They should have just named Trachtenberg's character Dawn Summers. It would have saved confusion.

As for the show, I HATE the trend of making adultery the sympathetic thread in a storyline, i.e., writing a show so you WANT the main character to end their marriage so they can get together with their TRUE love. Bah.
I saw the pilot of Showtime's nurse show. I got the feeling that their adulter didn't really love the boyfriend, she was just prostituting herself for drugs.
Old September 24 2009, 11:46 PM   #5
davejames
Vice Admiral

Ha ha, yeah it was definitely a shock seeing Mulgrew like that.

As for the show, I only watched the first 10 minutes or so, but it was just way too sleek and glossy and soap opera-y for my taste.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2009, 12:36 AM   #6
Jolly Old Krampus
Vice Admiral

Geez, I can't help wondering if former Trek stars end up being street drunks like that in real life.
Old September 25 2009, 12:59 AM   #7
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

Drone36929 wrote: View Post
Geez, I can't help wondering if former Trek stars end up being street drunks like that in real life.

Some of them don't even wait until they are former stars.
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2009, 01:14 AM   #8
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

IndyJones wrote: View Post
Drone36929 wrote: View Post

Some of them don't even wait until they are former stars.
At least in TOS they could hide it since the characters were drunk most of the time.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2009, 03:41 AM   #9
Gingerbread Girl
Fleet Admiral

View Gingerbread Girl's Twitter Profile

That's why I don't watch Grey's Anatomy.

The lead in Mercy can't act. I turned it off after ten minutes because I couldn't stand her.
Old September 25 2009, 04:06 AM   #10
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

But dufus beardy doctor was great on Alley McBeal. If he's an ass in the pilot, odds are he's going to be an angel by the finale.

Dawny is a pale shadow of the girl they had playing the same cute as puke cut out template position in nurse jaquie...

This show seems about as fake as Army wives but with a little more teeth than greys anatomy.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2009, 07:44 AM   #11
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Mulgrew plays the drunk housewife real well lol
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2009, 10:12 AM   #12
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

I don't mind that so much, although it is becoming an overused cliche. They're doing the same thing on Glee, although I'd say the husband on Mercy is far more sympathetic than the self-centered conniving wife on Glee. (Plus, it's hard to not-sympathize with a man if the woman he wants to cheat with is Jayma Mays.)

The other annoying thing about it is that my mother is divorced because my father was cheating on her with a co-worker. So every time one of these pro-adultery storylines comes up, talking to her about the show gets reeeeeeally uncomfortable.
Old September 25 2009, 10:13 AM   #13
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
It's the husky, chain-smoking voice that really sells it. Looking back, this would have made Voyager so much more entertaining.
Old September 25 2009, 05:37 PM   #14
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
I don't mind that so much, although it is becoming an overused cliche. They're doing the same thing on Glee, although I'd say the husband on Mercy is far more sympathetic than the self-centered conniving wife on Glee.
Which is one of the things that has bothered me about Glee as well. Turned that one off too.
Old September 25 2009, 08:48 PM   #15
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
It's the husky, chain-smoking voice that really sells it. Looking back, this would have made Voyager so much more entertaining.
The role of unsatisfied wife of a millionaire in New York who also drinks alot and probably sleeps with the bellboy would be PERFECT for her.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote