Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

Old November 8 2009, 06:07 PM   #76
cultcross
Say my name...

Re: The Battlestar Galacticafication of Stargate has began!

^ Nor was early SG-1, imho. The first 5 or 6 seasons of SG-1 were clever, interesting, self-aware, with a witty and adult sense of humour. The mythology was engaging and felt somehow epic - even when it was just some text on the walls of a small room. Late SG-1 and particualrly SGA was unoriginal, repetitive (oh, another quiet black warrior character), scared to take risks, and frankly, pretty boring. The mythology never developed and never seemed epic again - the Ancients who had seemed so incredible in Torment of Tantalus or The Fifth Race seemed like petulant children by the end of SGA.

Last edited by cultcross; November 9 2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old November 8 2009, 06:46 PM   #77
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

cultcross wrote: View Post
^ Nor was early SG-1, imho. The first 5 or 6 seasons of SG-1 were clever, interesting, self-aware, with a clever and adult sense of humour. The mythology was engaging and felt somehow epic - even when it was just some text on the walls of a small room. Late SG-1 and particualrly SGA was unoriginal, repetitive (oh, another quiet black warrior character), scared to take risks, and frankly, pretty boring. The mytholgoy enver developed and never seemed epic again - the Ancients who had seemed so incredible in Torment of Tantalus or The Fifth Race seemed like petulent children by the end of SGA.
I think the problem with later SG1 was that they became afraid of finishing off story arcs in case they actually got a movie where they could tell those stories. So they became stagnant.

Then with Atlantis came the burn out, writing and producing 40 episodes a year was just too much for them to keep up with.
Old November 8 2009, 07:33 PM   #78
DWF
Vice Admiral

dcbpe wrote: View Post
@cultcross
I think the main reason for people like you and I disagreeing on SGU (and nuBSG, for that matter) is exactly what you've said here: everything you liked about SG-1 and SGA as they were was everything I wished they'd dispense with. The camp, the child friendly scrubbed clean characters, the bwha-ha-ha villains.
Ultimately the ratings will bear out which of our opinions is more popular. I think SGU will suffer because people are expecting it to be SG:1 or SG:A, and they are not getting what is expected. The campy nature is what the franchise was built on, and it is unlikely that the franchise can be successful without it.

Thanks!
their ratings have been pretty good so far.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2009/1...-syfy-a-boost/

The first season of SGU is averaging a 2.1 average household rating and 2.85 million total viewers, the network said in an October 27 press release. This includes full “Live + 7 Days” viewing data, though Syfy would probably have only had access to that data for about the first two weeks of the show (three of the six hours broadcast so far).
Nielsen Media Research releases full DVR ratings numbers to the networks approximately three weeks after broadcast.
In the key demographics, Syfy said that Universe is averaging 1.5 million adults ages 18 to 49, and 1.7 million ages 25 to 54.
The time-shifted viewing data for Stargate Universe is clearly significant, with 2.99 million viewers and a 2.1 rating for “Air, Part 3″ — up from the 1.8 rating (2.4 million) on Friday night. That’s the most-watched episode of a Stargate show since March 2005 (“The Siege, Part 1″), Syfy said.
Compared to the last season of Stargate Atlantis, SGU is up 59 percent among adults 18 to 34, 41 percent among adults 18 to 49, 33 percent among adults 25 54, and up 36 percent in total viewers, the network said.
Along with the 2.1 average rating for Ghost Hunters, the 1.7 average for Destination Truth, and the 1.8 rating earned by the season premiere of Sanctuary, Syfy is looking at its most watched October ever.
While we don’t have official ratings numbers for the last three episodes, on Twitter actor Brian J. Smith mentioned a 1.6 rating for “Darkness” — which aired against an MLB playoff game on October 16. TV by the Numbers reports viewership of 2.099 million viewers (”Live + Same Day”) for that one, and 2.015 million for October 23 (“Light”).
Universe is the network’s second-highest rated show behind Ghost Hunters (about 3 million viewers before DVR).
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
Old November 9 2009, 12:01 AM   #79
dcbpe
Lieutenant Commander

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
The campy nature is what the franchise was built on, and it is unlikely that the franchise can be successful without it.
The movie that started the franchise wasn't campy. A lot of people seem to be forgetting that.
I resemble that remark; good point.
Old November 9 2009, 01:21 AM   #80
The Wormhole
Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
The campy nature is what the franchise was built on, and it is unlikely that the franchise can be successful without it.
The movie that started the franchise wasn't campy. A lot of people seem to be forgetting that.
To be fair though, the franchise isn't popular because of the movie. It's popular because of SG-1.
Old November 12 2009, 12:03 AM   #81
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Where ya been, we've been bitching about this for months!
Yes, it looks like SG:U will be Stargate's attempt to ape BSG,
Which is kinda lame considering BSG sucked too.

but with fewer decent actors, no decent writing, and zero sense of style.
BSG had good acting, I'll give you that. But it had no decent writing either.

but Stargate has this amazing way of taking any subject matter, no matter how dire, and rendering it utterly innocuous and shallow.
SG-1, despite its shortcomings, was a pretty entertaining show given how "shallow" it was. SGA, on the other hand...
Old November 12 2009, 02:31 AM   #82
The Wormhole
Admiral

Leroy wrote: View Post
Hopefully the crew won't declare technology to be evil and toss the Destiny into the sun in the last episode.
I was just re-reading this thread, and felt like drawing attention to this post, since we're not even ten episodes in and we've already seen Destiny fly into a sun twice(!)
Old November 12 2009, 02:47 AM   #83
Tyson
Fleet Captain

Trubinator wrote: View Post
Yeah this dude is still butthurt that they didn't continue the 70's mormon cheesefest so his opinions regarding BSG are pretty much null and void, just a heads up to anybody still bored enough to care about SGU around here
Old November 12 2009, 07:52 AM   #84
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

Tyson wrote: View Post
Trubinator wrote: View Post
Yeah this dude is still butthurt that they didn't continue the 70's mormon cheesefest so his opinions regarding BSG are pretty much null and void, just a heads up to anybody still bored enough to care about SGU around here
I hated the 70s version too, ass. Thanks for a pointless troll.
Old November 23 2009, 06:25 AM   #85
gupeter
Ensign

No big thought here.

My appetite for whatever is vast. But SGU has actually hit my "whatever" point. It is just a bunch of people scampering around on a ship (oh the stones shovel into it)having all of these personal feelings but nothing really ever happens.

Might as well set it in a high school I suppose. I am so bored to tears it is not even funny.
Old November 24 2009, 07:01 AM   #86
Ryan
Commodore

gupeter wrote: View Post
My appetite for whatever is vast. But SGU has actually hit my "whatever" point. It is just a bunch of people scampering around on a ship (oh the stones shovel into it)having all of these personal feelings but nothing really ever happens.
In what way? They've been dealing with one crisis after another at this point. I think Life is the first episode in which the whole crew didn't nearly die.
Old November 24 2009, 10:22 AM   #87
cultcross
Say my name...

Ryan wrote: View Post
In what way? They've been dealing with one crisis after another at this point. I think Life is the first episode in which the whole crew didn't nearly die.
It seems to be that an episode has to involve rushing around shooting things, or big explosions, for some people to think anything 'happened' in it.
Old December 4 2009, 09:36 AM   #88
gupeter
Ensign

Nope... nothing has to have explosions and all of that as I have seen plenty of that in real life. I understand that it takes time for a series to develop as well.

But SGU has turned into a big yawn fest. I think my biggest beef is that the military people on the show do not act or interact in any way shape or form like military people.

The civilians can do what they do but on the military end the natural instinct is to organize, form a chain of command and stick with it. Then organize some more.

That part just really makes no sense. I suspect that SGU needs to hire a military consultant.
Old December 4 2009, 07:03 PM   #89
Dr. Chandra
Captain

From Wiki:

The writers started spinning stories for the first season in mid-November 2008. The United States Air Force and Marine Corps reviewed the scripts.
It doesn't say if they have full-time, onsite advisors, but there seems to be at least some involvement by the military.
'The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure … America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better.' - Senator Barack Obama, 2006
Old December 5 2009, 06:51 AM   #90
Ryan
Commodore

I think my biggest beef is that the military people on the show do not act or interact in any way shape or form like military people.
Have they ever in a Stargate series? O'Neill made general, for crying out loud.