Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 9 2009, 01:51 PM   #1
Brandonv
Fleet Captain

Bram Stoker's Dracula - Yea or Nay?

I have seen this movie twice now, and my thoughts on it are mixed.

First, what I don't like. I think the love story between Dracula and Mina feels out of place. It is like we are supposed to feel sorry for Dracula, but I just can't. If he had started out the movie as a likable character then maybe, but even before he became Dracula he was Vlad the Impaler, a man who committed many atrocities. I also find myself a bit bored during some stretches of the film.

Despite these problems, the directing, cinematography, atmosphere, and special effects all win me over. Even during the parts of the movie that are boring I can't take my eyes off the screen because I find the movie to be so well done visually. I like how the special effects all have an old fashion conventional look to them - it really helps set the atmosphere. Gary Oldman delivers a solid performance, and Anthony Hopkins - one of my favorite actors - is always a pleasure to watch.

Overall, I would say the good outweighs the bad. I am still not sure exactly how I would rate the movie though.

I would be interested to read what everybody thinks of this movie.

Last edited by Brandonv; September 9 2009 at 02:16 PM.
Brandonv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2009, 02:45 PM   #2
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

Re: Bram Stoker's Dracula - Yea or Nay?

I really like it, the atmosphere and tweaks to the story are refreshing. It also is very funny, occasionally intentionally (with Hopkins totally OTT Van Helsing) and more often than not unintentionally (check out Keanu saying "I know where the bastard sleeps" in one of the most unconvincing English accents ever put to screen).

Few Dracula adaptations have quite as much fun with the story and concept as this one, Lucy is correctly portrayed as a little slut, and Mina as almost jealous of this and her confidence, Dracula is a bit TOO sympathetic for a mass-murderer but hey, at least not one-dimensional.
Old September 9 2009, 04:21 PM   #3
CorporalClegg
Admiral

I thought this was about the book...
Old September 9 2009, 04:28 PM   #4
davejames
Vice Admiral

Haven't seen it in awhile, but I remember being disappointed by it. There was too much focus on the style and visuals over the story or characters.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2009, 05:03 PM   #5
caisson2delta
Captain

I loved the movie and just saw it again, not all that long ago. Compared to the other vampire flicks coming out in the same time frame as this, it was top notch. It was a step above "Interview with the Vampire" and many of the other B and C vampire movies riding on the shirt tails of this time frame.
caisson2delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2009, 05:12 PM   #6
Too Much Fun
Commodore

It just reinforced the opinion I started forming after I started investigating Francis Ford Coppola's films other than the first two "Godfather" movies that he's just not very good. Other examples: "The Outsiders", "Jack", "Apocalypse Now", "The Conversation". Those last two are so boring and pointless, I can't imagine why they're considered classics. His "Peggy Sue Got Married" is very nice, though.

This is one of those movies that is beautiful to look at, but just hollow (like "Blade Runner"). The cinematography, production design, costumes, make-up, and special effects are all excellent (style/aesthetic qualities), but the story and characters were terrible. Gary Oldman is deliciously over-the-top, but everybody else in the movie sucks. Winona Ryder and Keanu Reeves are way out of their league (Keanu should never be in period pieces...he was the only blotch on the otherwise perfect "Much Ado About Nothing")
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2009, 05:15 PM   #7
ManOnTheWave
Rear Admiral

Yea. It was closer to the book than any other adaptation I'm aware of. It used the special effects of the era in which the book was written, and the tragic love story element made thematically consistent with a lot of the older, better Universal monster movies. It was also beautiful to look at. Considering Dracula will be remade again and again, I'd call this one a very clever one off.
Old September 9 2009, 06:04 PM   #8
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral

I remembering first watching the edited for t.v. version and the entire character of Renfield was cut from it.

It's kinda hard to sympathize with Dracula after he delivers a live infant for his vamp bitches to feast on.
MeanJoePhaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2009, 06:25 PM   #9
davejames
Vice Admiral

caisson2delta wrote: View Post
I loved the movie and just saw it again, not all that long ago. Compared to the other vampire flicks coming out in the same time frame as this, it was top notch. It was a step above "Interview with the Vampire" and many of the other B and C vampire movies riding on the shirt tails of this time frame.
I honestly don't get why more people don't love Interview. I've always thought it was a beautifully made movie, with tons of really badass moments and characters in it.

Coppola's movie was just far too campy and over the top for my taste.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2009, 07:30 PM   #10
caisson2delta
Captain

I enjoyed Interview as well, it is just a completely different style of the genre. I agree with one of the earlier posts that Dracula was much more in line with the book. Having read both prior to seeing the movies, I was don't want to say disappointed, but felt that Interview could have been better. I just felt that it was too far removed from the book version.
caisson2delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2009, 08:24 PM   #11
Gaith
Rear Admiral

I also loved Hopkins' performance, and agree that trying to humanize Dracula was a boneheaded move. He's a nonhuman monster, for Pete's sake; the fact that he can smile politely doesn't detract from that.

There's a fan edit of the film I haven't gotten around to seeing that purports to follow the book much more closely by cutting 25 minutes. I don't know if the cuts are enough to give it a proper suspense-thriller feel, but I might check it out someday...
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2009, 08:38 PM   #12
broberfett
Vice Admiral

I enjoyed it except for Dracula's huge-ass bun of steel hairdo. I mean, WTF was that?
Old September 10 2009, 05:55 AM   #13
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

The book, yea. The movie, nay.
Old September 10 2009, 10:44 AM   #14
DarKush
Rear Admiral

I don't remember much about it. Though the visual style was very impressive. I loved the costumes, particularly Dracula's red armor at the beginning. I also loved the make-up/FX for Dracula-particularly the bat and wolf/beast forms. From what I can recall of the story, I thought it was okay. I also remember Lucy being pretty hot. This question now has got me wanting to dig in my crates and try to find it to watch it again.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2009, 12:50 PM   #15
species5618
Commodore

I thought it was a great film--with the notable exception of Keanu Reeves' performance, particularly his atrocious English accent.
We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Colonel Saul Tigh
species5618 is offline   Reply With Quote