Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 16 2009, 10:49 AM   #1
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Word from DC Entertainment: "Superman" movie not in near future

SuperHeroHype! reports that Diane Nelson, newly appointed exec behind DC Entertainment, was asked about any potential development on a new Superman movie and her response basically put kaput any rumors circulating over a new movie.

Superman is back in development hell.

Which I think is possibly for the best. I think it's obvious now whenever WB does decide to move forward with a new film it will be a complete restart, barring no ties to Superman Returns. Even Brandon Routh said he had no clue the status of a new movie, merely stating he was waiting to hear from WB.

However, with the court order stipulating WB must move forward with a new Superman movie by 2011 or the movie rights revert back to the Seigel estate (...I think -- someone please correct me if I'm wrong...) the future of Superman on the big screen certainly looks grim.
Old September 16 2009, 01:00 PM   #2
T'Baio
Admiral

Re: Word from DC Entertainment: "Superman" movie not in near future

It amazes me they can't figure this one out. The pieces are in place with the Singer universe, now just have him fight someone instead of just lifting stuff.
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2009, 01:20 PM   #3
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
However, with the court order stipulating WB must move forward with a new Superman movie by 2011 or the movie rights revert back to the Seigel estate (...I think -- someone please correct me if I'm wrong...) the future of Superman on the big screen certainly looks grim.
My understanding is that the rights won't revert completely to the Siegel estate in 2011, but after that point they will likely have sufficient co-ownership of the Superman rights that Warners would have to pay them out in order to produce a Superman film.

Also, I think Diane Nelson was simply saying that they haven't settled on a direction for the Superman films and they're not in active development with a script being written. That doesn't mean they're not taking meetings about what to do with the property or that a Superman film couldn't go into active development in the near future.
Old September 16 2009, 05:33 PM   #4
Bad Bishop
Vice Admiral

We all want something done NOW, but last week it was reported that:
The first order of business will be a review of all the DC projects currently in Warners' pipelines with an eye toward developing a new master plan for upcoming releases that will be announced by January or February, charting the studio's priorities more clearly.
Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...e15393d4c644b1
Old September 16 2009, 05:57 PM   #5
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

Well I think a quick and dirty Superman movie could be done, it doesn't have to be super duper visually stunning with lovingly shot scenes of Superman flying above the Earth and staring down spying on people... in their own homes.

Just have him kick some ass, have Clark not be such a pussy and at least once have the bad guy tossed through a building.

Pick any one story at random from a box of Superman comics and make it a movie.
Old September 16 2009, 06:02 PM   #6
Bad Bishop
Vice Admiral

NickRyder wrote: View Post
Well I think a quick and dirty Superman movie could be done, it doesn't have to be super duper visually stunning with lovingly shot scenes of Superman flying above the Earth and staring down spying on people... in their own homes.

This incessant complaining about Superman's "spying" (or other scenes in SR) really gets old after a while.
Old September 16 2009, 06:10 PM   #7
nx1701g
Admiral

Anyone ever hear of the Fantastic Four movie from the 90s? That's all they really have to do, technically, as they would've produced a Superman movie.
Old September 16 2009, 06:11 PM   #8
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral

Yes, it's been well established Superman is a voyeur, no need to bring it up.

Smallville is better than Superman Returns, or any of the Superman movies. It's the live-action Superman for the current generation. There, I said it.

(I'm not sure I believe it myself, but...)
MeanJoePhaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2009, 06:20 PM   #9
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

nx1701g wrote: View Post
Anyone ever hear of the Fantastic Four movie from the 90s? That's all they really have to do, technically, as they would've produced a Superman movie.
The situation with the Superman rights doesn't correlate to that. Warners doesn't have an option on the Superman rights which is set to expire unless they make a movie before 2011 (as was the case with the Fantastic Four rights in the 1990s). It looks like the Siegel estate will get back certain rights in 2011 no matter what. The difference is that if Warners makes a new movie before 2011 then it'll be made under the current arrangement where Warners owns almost all of the rights and can produce a movie without any payment to the Siegel estate (as long as they don't use the origin and certain other elements that appeared in Action Comics #1). If they make a movie after 2011 then they're going to have to reach an accomodation with the Siegel family in terms of payment.
Old September 16 2009, 06:22 PM   #10
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

It isn't the voyeur thing, its just the long lovingly shot scenes of him doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. I think a couple of those shots were nearly 3-5 minutes long, of him just... watching stuff.

I mean if I wanted to watch someone just sitting around... watching stuff. I'd put in a stoner movie.

Even the title sequence as awesome as it was the first time around... its damn long. They really need to subscribe to the brevity camp. Get into the action and you'd have a movie that people will be going "that was an awesome movie!" after it. I'd love to see some of the classic rogues gallery, like Brianiac or Metallo, or even a Lex Luthor who is closer to the Lex many of us know FROM THE PAST 25 YEARS! Lex hasn't been a bumbling scientist/land grabber since the early 80s. Let's just go with the corporate megolith and go from there. Show him as the guy behind the scenes no one can touch. And he's unleashing all manner of super powered baddies at Supes.

And I want Lex played by Faran Tahir.
Old September 16 2009, 06:31 PM   #11
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

This news isn't really news, its just now officially the state of the character. Everybody knew that after that last film and the longer we moved away from it without positive news that Superman was back in limbo.

T'Baio wrote: View Post
It amazes me they can't figure this one out. The pieces are in place with the Singer universe, now just have him fight someone instead of just lifting stuff.
There is no Singer universe. That was Donner-verse 2.0 and nobody cares for land grab Luthor and the rest of what Returns offered up. Its why for a year or so Wal-Mart can't give away that movie. It sits in the $5 bin with movies that are 20yrs old, but at least they are 20yrs old and not selling. Says alot when no one wants a 2yr old movie for $5.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2009, 06:38 PM   #12
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

Yeah, SR really tanked in dvd sales fast. I mean, when I was working at Target when it came out, it was $19.99 for a while, then around Christmas it went down to like $14.99 then you see it on the $13.78 rack, then it moved to the $9.44 rack, then to the $7.50 rack, and now you see it sitting in $5 bins and sometimes its even BUNDLED with something!

That movie could not be given away now. I bought the Special Edition of Superman Returns, I enjoyed it in the theater and even after the first viewing at home it was fun, but by the second home viewing I had no desire to see it again. I had fun with parts of it but other parts... blech. Needed a "Phantom Edit" honestly, but even that couldn't really save it.

I mean c'mon the character has had so many comics based adventures that could be ported over to screen. Why is it so hard to do that? I can understand the whole "Donner-verse love" but c'mon... Kevin Spacey was a decent Luthor, but then they HAD to go into that crazy ass landgrabbing Luthor of old and it fell apart. If he was the "old" Luthor, but had become "respectable" and had LexCorp and people forgot about his schemes of the past - not that many would know, since really he hid underground during Superman 1 and in Superman 2 only a handful of people knew he had anything to do with the 3 Kryptonians and then in Superman 4 he was still little known, even though he was clearly in prison.

But geez louise simonson just make him Lex as we've known him, put Superman against some larger than life villans that he can FIGHT. And even if the story is simplistic, it can still be fun and cool.
Old September 16 2009, 06:39 PM   #13
Bad Bishop
Vice Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
There is no Singer universe. That was Donner-verse 2.0 and nobody cares for land grab Luthor and the rest of what Returns offered up. Its why for a year or so Wal-Mart can't give away that movie. It sits in the $5 bin with movies that are 20yrs old, but at least they are 20yrs old and not selling. Says alot when no one wants a 2yr old movie for $5.
Are you sure that's not the single-disc full-screen edition in the Wal-Mart bin? Who would buy that?
Old September 16 2009, 06:48 PM   #14
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

True... but still. I've seen widescreen in there too though.
Old September 16 2009, 07:51 PM   #15
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

NickRyder wrote: View Post

Just have him kick some ass, have Clark not be such a pussy and at least once have the bad guy tossed through a building.

Pick any one story at random from a box of Superman comics and make it a movie.
Does the world really need another Superman IV?
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote