RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,667
Members: 24,818
Currently online: 437
Newest member: Thomas Eugene

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 18 2009, 02:17 AM   #1
Orion Pimp
Captain

Of Childhood Heroes and Influences Growing Up

I remember growing up watching Star Trek with my father.

It's funny what little fragments of memory stick fast and seem to be there forever and others are blown away like so much dust.

I remember a Saturday afternoon in the mid to late seventies, walking into my father's study and sitting down with him as he was watching City on the Edge of Forever.
I remember being confused because the guy in the kitchen with the hat on looked like Spock, but he was dressed in "normal" clothes and working behind a counter. (I couldn't have been more than five at the time.) I remember my father explaining to me what was happening.
I remember being amazed that one of my heroes resembled another so much.
My father with his hazel eyes and larger than life countenance (in my mind at least) could have been Captain Kirk's twin.

I remember my father saying things to me like " There are two kinds of people in this world, Leaders and Followers, and anyone can be a follower."

and
"The right thing to do is never the easy thing to do, but it's worth the extra effort in doing."

and
"Take out the Garbage."

I remember watching Star Trek and watching Kirk and company reinforce these concepts. Be a leader, respect others, be strong both mentally and physically. Be an example of what a good person should be.

The point of this ramble down memory lane is to have a larger than life hero, who put into action those principles and values taught in words by an everyday hero, galvanized in me some important life lessons.

Thanks Captain Kirk.
and Thank you Dad.
Orion Pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2009, 04:50 PM   #2
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

Re: Of Childhood Heroes and Influences Growing Up

awwwwwwwwwww
Yeoman Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2009, 02:53 PM   #3
Orcus
Captain

Yeah... gets right there, doesn't it?
Orcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2009, 03:18 PM   #4
Forbin
Admiral

What I couldn't figure out as a kid was why my heroes, Capt. Kirk and James Bond, got to have a different girl every time I saw them, and I couldn't even get one to go out with me. And when I did get one to go out with me, in the back of my mind I thought of it as temporary, because there'd be another girl coming along in the next episode/movie/adventure.

It actually kinda screwed up my perception of relationships until I was in my late 20s.

But on the other hand, I also had my Dad for a hero - WWII fighter pilot and adventurer who put John Wayne to shame, who settled down with the love of his life and always tried to Do the Right Thing. MUCH better example to live by.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2009, 12:28 PM   #5
Orcus
Captain

Forbin wrote: View Post
What I couldn't figure out as a kid was why my heroes, Capt. Kirk and James Bond, got to have a different girl every time I saw them, and I couldn't even get one to go out with me. And when I did get one to go out with me, in the back of my mind I thought of it as temporary, because there'd be another girl coming along in the next episode/movie/adventure.

It actually kinda screwed up my perception of relationships until I was in my late 20s.
No, I'd say that was pretty normal of romantic relationships for teens/20s. When we were that young long-term relationships was what happened to other (and older) people; we were still leading fun, carefree lives unfettered by responsibility...
Orcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2009, 05:07 PM   #6
Oceanborn_angel
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I believe I have my mom to thank for my interest in all things Star Trek. It started with the movie and blossomed into interest for TOS on T.V. through syndication. I can recall always idolizing Nichelle Nichols as Uhura because she was one of the few female main characters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xtY_k86FBU
Oceanborn_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2009, 12:43 AM   #7
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

All I'll say is those of you who are lucky enough to consider your dads to be heroes, be grateful. Not all dads are worthy of respect. You are truly fortunate.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2009, 02:02 AM   #8
EEE
Captain

Well, there's a bucket of icewater on a Norman Rockwell/Kodak moment.
EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2009, 04:34 AM   #9
Orion Pimp
Captain

What I couldn't figure out as a kid was why my heroes, Capt. Kirk and James Bond, got to have a different girl every time I saw them, and I couldn't even get one to go out with me.
There's a scientific term for men like these....Lucky Bastards.

But on the other hand, I also had my Dad for a hero - WWII fighter pilot and adventurer who put John Wayne to shame, who settled down with the love of his life and always tried to Do the Right Thing. MUCH better example to live by.
Forbin, your dad sounds like a hell of a guy.

sbk1234 wrote: View Post
All I'll say is those of you who are lucky enough to consider your dads to be heroes, be grateful. Not all dads are worthy of respect. You are truly fortunate.
sbk1234, I'm sorry. I guess we sometimes take for granted the things we've got.
Orion Pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2009, 04:56 AM   #10
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

^^^^Thank you. That was my point.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2009, 05:54 PM   #11
seigezunt
Vice Admiral

Location: Splashing on some Tiberius before a night on the town

Orcus wrote: View Post

No, I'd say that was pretty normal of romantic relationships for teens/20s. When we were that young long-term relationships was what happened to other (and older) people; we were still leading fun, carefree lives unfettered by responsibility...

Yes, you know what 60's TV show screwed me up when it came to women? Not Star Trek, but "I Dream of Jeannie."
I am constantly surprised by the close-mindedness of some fans...this means change as well as a positive attitude. Without those things, how can we ever achieve that Trek future we enjoyed so much on TV? --Bjo Trimble
seigezunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2009, 08:24 PM   #12
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

I watched Trek with my dad, too. Or "Star Track," as I called it. It appealed to me because it was similar to another show I watched faithfully -- "Star Blazers." Similar in that there were starships, aliens, colorful stylized uniforms, a bridge where the main crew hung out.

I remember a game my dad would play. Star Trek would start and within seconds my dad would name the episode. Now I'm that guy.
Old September 2 2009, 08:37 PM   #13
Forbin
Admiral

seigezunt wrote: View Post
Orcus wrote: View Post

Yes, you know what 60's TV show screwed me up when it came to women? Not Star Trek, but "I Dream of Jeannie."
Oh, thay ALL contributed to my up-screwing!
Old September 2 2009, 11:02 PM   #14
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain

Erin Gray, Lynda Carter, and Catherine Bach, all on TV right as I went through puberty. Ah, bliss.
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2009, 03:46 AM   #15
Forbin
Admiral

How 'bout Heather Thomas? Woo!