Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 11 2009, 09:42 PM   #76
Peter the Younger
Commodore

Re: Should it have been a straight reboot?

Hindsight is 20/20. If they had gone with a straight reboot, the boards would have been flooded for months before with "this is a mistake," "They have no respect for what came before!" and other such nonsense. My guess is that older, casual fans would have been less likely to see it without the Nimoy stamp of approval (seriously, this was a major factor for some of the 40+folks I know who saw it), and entertainment reporters may have very well cast it in a more skeptical light. Yeah it would have circumvented a lot of the minor quibbles, but its doubtful that would have really satisfied the hardcore fanboys. In the end, for the vast majority of the community, it worked as presented, and that's what matters.

Peter the Younger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2009, 10:33 PM   #77
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah like it or not, having Nimoy in there (and tying him in with time travel and the original universe) made the movie much more of a big, summer movie "event".

Otherwise it would have been just a straightforward story about how young Kirk and Spock went to the Academy, got good grades, and eventually made their way to the Enterprise, which probably wouldn't have been quite as exciting to see. lol
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2009, 12:44 AM   #78
CaptainGold
Lieutenant Commander

IMO,

STXI was a nice action flick, but it was as close to a reboot as using explosives to collaspe the Kindgome in Seattle and calling it a refurbishment.

They dumped anything close to reality or the original series for a new thing called Star Trek in a comic-book universe. It was early 21st century entertainment, loaded with nice graphics, a decent story, and tons of special effects. It made no attempt to build a coherent universe or time line to build a series on. It is as chaotic as the Harry Potter series is consistent in its literary trajectory.

And it worked, made a ton of $$$$$, and that's what it was meant to be. Like it or not, accept it for what it is.
CaptainGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2009, 12:48 AM   #79
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I still think the fact that a total reboot worked for BSG, proves that it would also work for Trek.

nuBSG did include a few table scraps tossed at the feet of old BSG fans, but this didn't mean the remake was a literal sequel or prequel - obviously it's not. Same story could always apply here.
Old September 14 2009, 12:52 AM   #80
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

CaptainGold wrote: View Post
I It is as chaotic as the Harry Potter series is consistent in its literary trajectory.
Considering the failure of the last two TNG movies as a whole, I would think a Harry Potter comparison would be a compliment
Old September 14 2009, 02:22 PM   #81
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
I It is as chaotic as the Harry Potter series is consistent in its literary trajectory.
Considering the failure of the last two TNG movies as a whole, I would think a Harry Potter comparison would be a compliment
Hm... Nemesis was a failure indeed. Insurrection was not. Adjusted for inflation, Insurrection did just as well as Undiscovered Country. And was that one a failure?

Really, please stop blaming Insurrection, as it really wasn't the problem.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2009, 03:37 PM   #82
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

Nah. I like what they did. It took more effort and created a more unique attempt at re-establishing the franchise than most.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2009, 03:53 PM   #83
Disillusioned
Commander

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I still think the fact that a total reboot worked for BSG, proves that it would also work for Trek.
5 series + 10 movies > 1 season + a few episodes of an aborted series

And BSG really lost a lot o f its luster after the first season.
Disillusioned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2009, 02:19 AM   #84
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post

nuBSG did include a few table scraps tossed at the feet of old BSG fans, but this didn't mean the remake was a literal sequel or prequel - obviously it's not. Same story could always apply here.
And I still say, it did. Once again, there's nothing that canonically establishes FutureSpock really is from the "Prime Universe" of the previous TV series/movies. For all we know he comes from a universe where there was only ever one Enterprise and nothing else.
Old September 15 2009, 03:41 AM   #85
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Cyke101 wrote: View Post
Hm... Nemesis was a failure indeed. Insurrection was not. Adjusted for inflation, Insurrection did just as well as Undiscovered Country. And was that one a failure?

Really, please stop blaming Insurrection, as it really wasn't the problem.
Critically speaking, it was received as a failure. It couldn't maintain the momentum of the popular First Contact. The cast and director (Mister Frakes) didn't like the script. It started a downward trend of quality. If Insurrection was as successful as First Contact but Nemesis remained a failure, would there be a need for Abrams to go back to TOS? Perhaps not.

(also, important to note: Rottentomatoes gives INS 54%, or a Rotten rating. They give TUC 81%, or a Fresh rating. TUC comes out the winner here. There's more to a movie than simple dollar signs)

Besides, these days, studios aim for sequels to capitalize and improve upon the original's numbers: Spider-Man 2 & 3 did better than Spider-Man, Dark Knight did better than Batman Begins, etc. etc. To fail to do that plays a large part in classifying a film as a relative failure, but it's not the only part.

And lastly, I said "...as a whole." Even if you think one movie is great (and you're entitled to think that) but the other crap, that crap brings the whole average down. Basic math.
Old September 15 2009, 03:53 AM   #86
I am not Spock
Commodore

I enjoyed the new film a lot, but the 'alternate timeline' stuff was a bone thrown to us fans, and it probably hurt the film for casual viewers, I think. I say if they wanted a reboot, they should have come straight out and said it, rather than adding in all the time travel stuff.
Old September 15 2009, 04:31 AM   #87
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Peter the Younger wrote: View Post
Hindsight is 20/20. If they had gone with a straight reboot, the boards would have been flooded for months before with "this is a mistake," "They have no respect for what came before!" and other such nonsense. My guess is that older, casual fans would have been less likely to see it without the Nimoy stamp of approval (seriously, this was a major factor for some of the 40+folks I know who saw it), and entertainment reporters may have very well cast it in a more skeptical light. Yeah it would have circumvented a lot of the minor quibbles, but its doubtful that would have really satisfied the hardcore fanboys. In the end, for the vast majority of the community, it worked as presented, and that's what matters.
See, and these are all the things that KEPT me from seeing the film. If they started over and dragged out all this 'built on earth' stuff, it would have been, 'okay, maybe I'll go watch this stupid movie pretending to be ST' but by trying to wrap it into a variant on what went before, they were contaminating/pissing on what went before, and that DID keep me out of the theater.

Well to be scrupulously honest, I'd never pay to see a movie with this many lens flares (I've seen the first 7min on youtube and it is atrocious), it would be like paying to see a kid's sci fi movie in super 8 from 1971, where every shot uses the zoom lens. But except for that huge cosmetic defect that I find utterly disgraceful for ANY feature film, these various improvements alterations that I see as fuckups might not have kept me out of the theater if it had been a straight reboot.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2009, 09:41 AM   #88
FKnight
Commander

trevanian wrote: View Post
Well to be scrupulously honest, I'd never pay to see a movie with this many lens flares (I've seen the first 7min on youtube and it is atrocious), it would be like paying to see a kid's sci fi movie in super 8 from 1971, where every shot uses the zoom lens. But except for that huge cosmetic defect that I find utterly disgraceful for ANY feature film, these various improvements alterations that I see as fuckups might not have kept me out of the theater if it had been a straight reboot.
Ya know, I saw the movie twice before I noticed lens flares. I read about the lens flares here before the third time.

I think the lens flare thing is a bit exaggerated by people.
FKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2009, 10:02 AM   #89
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

FKnight wrote: View Post
Ya know, I saw the movie twice before I noticed lens flares. I read about the lens flares here before the third time.

I'm with you!
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2009, 11:24 AM   #90
SilentP
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to SilentP

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
FKnight wrote: View Post

I'm with you!
As am I!

And to be honest, for those who really have a problem with it, JJ seems to agree with you, and is likely to not include so many in the next one (something about the lens flares were actually physically and deliberately present when they shot the scenes and couldn't be removed in editing).
SilentP is offline   Reply With Quote