Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 29 2009, 09:38 PM   #151
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Re: Should it have been a straight reboot?

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Yeah it's not like they had a 150 million budget and 10 years of advancement in make up and digital make up (much of it thanks to ILM) to make an old age Quinto work. Instead they cast an actor who looks nothing like Quinto to play his character at old age.
Yeah, gotta work on that sarcasm-detector there, bud. Even the almighty Smiley face failed!

Besides, it didn't quite work in Benjamin Button, and the whole movie revolved around CGI and prosthetics. We've got bigger things to focus CGI on, like the pew-pew and ships that go zoom.
Old September 29 2009, 09:47 PM   #152
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Sarcasm is for winners, dude.

Last edited by JarodRussell; September 29 2009 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Added a smiley.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2009, 10:07 PM   #153
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
We've got bigger things to focus CGI on, like the pew-pew and ships that go zoom.
There's the problem with modern Star Trek right there.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2009, 10:08 PM   #154
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Yeoman Randi wrote: View Post
Shazam! wrote: View Post
barnaclelapse wrote: View Post
I think you could claim some of those as fan service, yes, but I don't think Nimoy's place in the film or his performance were fan service in the least
Which is shame because fan service is exactly what it was. Why do you think they didn't just use old age prosthetics on Quinto?

Because it was a way to pass the baton, if you will, and because they COULD use Nimoy one more time as Spock. I would have been very unhappy if they HAD 'aged' Quinto when they could have used Nimoy. His presence was wonderful. To be able to see him as Spock, to hear him say "Live Long and Prosper" one more time meant a great deal to me and to many other fans. This is just my opinion, but i think you may be seeing this in a very cynical light as opposed to seeing it as the gift that it was.
So it was fan service. Just like I said it was : |
Old September 29 2009, 10:45 PM   #155
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

^ If it makes you happy you can label it "fan service" or anything else you want....

I've been around here long enough to know that no matter what i or anyone else says, nothing will change your mind.

I really do feel badly for you and the other people who cannot accept and enjoy the new movie. But, we are all entitled to our opinions, so it is what it is.

Im just glad that i gave the movie a chance and ended up loving it. It makes me happy and i am sorry that you are unable to enjoy it.
Yeoman Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2009, 11:02 PM   #156
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Yeoman Randi wrote: View Post
^ If it makes you happy you can label it "fan service" or anything else you want....
But it is fan service. You even said so yourself:
seeing it as the gift that it was.
What I feel about it is irrelevant. Fan service is both good and bad depending on what side of the fence of the you fall.
Old September 29 2009, 11:03 PM   #157
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Oh, listen, I think they are playing the "I'm am so sorry for you" song again. It's in the play list just before "You just don't know how to enjoy anything" and "Lighten up, it's just a popcorn flick".
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2009, 11:16 PM   #158
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

"Lighten up, it's just a popcorn flick".
I love that one. Like a 'popcorn' Star Trek movie is somehow a good thing.

For the record, I don't even hate the new movie but apparently you can't say anything even slightly negative without being labeled a 'hater' or something.
Old September 30 2009, 12:32 AM   #159
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

Oh, listen, I think they are playing the "I'm am so sorry for you" song again. It's in the play list just before "You just don't know how to enjoy anything" and "Lighten up, it's just a popcorn flick".

Guys, im not here for a pissing contest, but i do feel the need to clarify something. When i said i feel badly for people that are unhappy with the movie i was not being sarcastic.

This movie truly makes me happy. I felt younger every time i left the theater. It was a joyful experience for me, and i really do feel badly that everyone doesnt feel that way about it....because it is a wonderful feeling.
Yeoman Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2009, 12:55 AM   #160
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
barnaclelapse wrote: View Post
I think you could claim some of those as fan service, yes, but I don't think Nimoy's place in the film or his performance were fan service in the least
Which is shame because fan service is exactly what it was. Why do you think they didn't just use old age prosthetics on Quinto?
Cuz old age prosthetics almost never ever work
You don't let Westmore do it, you get somebody with the greatness of a Dick Smith or Rick Baker ... and those old age makeups don't just work, you don't even realize they are folks in makeup (most people, anyway ... Von Sydow in EXORCIST is the classic example, and that was 35 years ago.)
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2009, 02:52 PM   #161
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

Yeah it's not like they had a 150 million budget and 10 years of advancement in make up and digital make up (much of it thanks to ILM) to make an old age Quinto work. Instead they cast an actor who looks nothing like Quinto to play his character at old age.
Because everything should be done that way.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2009, 12:29 PM   #162
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Instead they cast an actor who looks nothing like Quinto to play his character at old age.
And yet Quinto looks uncannily like Nimoy in so many scenes...
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2009, 12:35 PM   #163
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Instead they cast an actor who looks nothing like Quinto to play his character at old age.
Quite.

Look, if they weren't having Nimoy in the movie, there would not be an old Spock. This is the whole point of that character and the reason there's a time travel plot, to reboot the franchise using time alteration.

That said, it worked. Is it fanservicey to include old Spock? Yes. Is it also fanservicey for every single character to state their full name in the movie (well, except Spock and Uhura) when introuced, get at least one cool hero moment, and treat the revelation of Uhura's first name like it's a big event? Hell yes.

Is all of this also pretty cool? Again, hell yes. While there are problems in the movie's plot, the basic idea of the reboot and especially the inclusion of Leonard Nimoy were both excellent calls.

Last edited by Kegg; October 1 2009 at 12:47 PM.
Kegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2009, 12:48 PM   #164
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

When?
Old October 1 2009, 12:56 PM   #165
Yug
Lieutenant Commander

When?
So now we can only have an actor playing a young Spock that looks EXACTLY like Nimoy for you to accept him? Get over it.
Yug is offline   Reply With Quote