New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old September 10 2009, 07:50 AM   #76
HopefulRomantic
Phloxist Moderator

Re: TheGodBen Revisits Enterprise

Count Zero wrote: View Post
HopefulRomantic wrote: View Post
Hooray for Bakula having story sense. I understand he added a lot of nice little elements to the episodes over the years.
That was pretty cool of him. Which other changes did he influence?
Off the top of my head... it was Bakula's idea for Archer to look progressively more haggard and strung out over the course of "Similitude." I think the commentary is where I got that. That's one of the many things I admired about the episode-- Archer seeming to age before our very eyes as his inner conflict over Sim weighs more and more heavily on him.

And there was some interview (I'm afraid I don't remember which one, alas) that said Bakula was conscious of keeping continuity with regard to Archer's injuries, showing that the guy didn't pop back up looking hale and hearty after being tortured or beaten up or whatever. (I imagine the makeup trailer was plastered with more than the usual amount of continuity photos of Bakula, so the makeup crew could keep up with all of Archer's bruises and such. )

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
And what the hell is he doing eating with the Big Three anyway? He doesn't normally eat with them, and it's not like as if he actually did something in the story to warrant him being there. Is this some Affirmative Action requirement that Travis eat with them just once?
It's not often that I see someone complaining because Travis does have something to do in an episode.
Old September 10 2009, 08:33 AM   #77
Infern0
Captain

I'm about to start watching again so ill bung a short review on each episode up here
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2009, 09:55 AM   #78
Pemmer Harge
Fleet Captain

Terra Nova? I liked this one better when it was called "Miri".
Old September 10 2009, 01:31 PM   #79
bluedana

Quote:
TRAVIS: All these years wondering about that colony. I never thought I'd become part of their history.
ARCHER: Tell you what, Travis. Why don't you put together the report for Starfleet. If I'm not mistaken, it'll be headline news back home.
TUCKER: The Terra Nova puzzle, solved at last, as told by Ensign Travis Mayweather.
TRAVIS: Thank you, sir.
Yes, I'm sure that's why he signed on to become a pilot, because of the glorious paperwork. And what the hell is he doing eating with the Big Three anyway? He doesn't normally eat with them, and it's not like as if he actually did something in the story to warrant him being there. Is this some Affirmative Action requirement that Travis eat with them just once?
Perhaps you missed the early establishing conversations where Travis mentioned that he was fascinated by the mystery of Terra Nova. Doing the report to Starfleet about it would be an honor - not so much paperwork as a "paper," maybe something that might get published.
Unexpected was the episode I was looking forward to. I kept hearing about Trip getting pregnant but never got to see the episode until I bought the DVD's. When I watched it I had very mixed feelings. Having watched a lot of Enterprise before this I had labeled Trip as trough but caring guy next door type. In this episode he started out as a big whiner. Watching the entire acclimation process was a chore. Only the scenes dealing with pregnancy were good. I could edit this episode into a great 15 minute featurette.
Actually, he starts out very excited to be visiting the alien ship. He becomes a "big whiner" after 3 hours of uncomfortable decompression, and as an effect of the change in environment. The aliens tell Archer that it happens all the time. Once he gets some rest - as suggested - he's fine and charming.
Off the top of my head... it was Bakula's idea for Archer to look progressively more haggard and strung out over the course of "Similitude." I think the commentary is where I got that. That's one of the many things I admired about the episode-- Archer seeming to age before our very eyes as his inner conflict over Sim weighs more and more heavily on him.
You're right. I remember an interviewee (might be on the DVD or perhaps a webcast) saying that the producers were "not happy" that Bakula decided to go unshaven for the shoot. Also, watch his (unscripted) reaction to the replicator in Dead Stop. And then there's the (infamous) Twilight scene.
Old September 10 2009, 02:13 PM   #80
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

Ooh, what's the infamous Twilight scene?
Old September 10 2009, 03:19 PM   #81
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

startrekwatcher wrote: View Post
I think it's kind of outrageous that they introduced the Temporal Cold War as such an important plot point but never had any idea where they would go with this. Who the hell acts like that?
A lot of writers don't have everything planned out and choose to make it up on the fly such as DS9. I really don't care if they have it all mapped out just as long as it ultimately makes sense. The TCW never did.
Yep, there were times in DS9 that it seemed they forgot about Bajor. Which at the start of the show was played up as a major story arc, but later became an after thought.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2009, 03:41 PM   #82
DestinyCaptain
Commander

Location: U.S.S. Destiny NCC-720 Leif Ericson II Class Explorer

Wow, this is weird. I just decided to head back to ENT to re-evaluate it. I had no idea that this was going on here. I stopped watching just before "Minefield". I gave up on Berman, Braga, and the direction they were taking everything. So, now I am watching it on Siffee. Why did they change the name to Siffee? Do they really think they'll get people to watch that don't like aliens, fantasy, and horror with a name like that? Siffee. Yeah, that's more mainstream.........

Last edited by DestinyCaptain; September 10 2009 at 04:06 PM.
DestinyCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2009, 06:08 PM   #83
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Jimmy Bob wrote: View Post
What disagreement? We've never disagreed in the way as I think you are putting it. As I said in that thread: "Re-read it in John Cleese's voice, perhaps that will help to make the intended tone clearer."

What I thought I was doing, was writing an exaggerated loud post, like anyone else was doing in that thread.
Bingo!

And that priest/boy analogy for Unexpected? That's a bit stretching an interpretation too far, isn't it? All I could think was: "Yeah Trip! You're the man! Damn I wish I was you!" That is, before he got pregnant.
Well as a man I am societally programmed to think that male rape isn't real and therefore I laugh it off much in the manner you are, but there are real victims of it out there, and not just in prison. If we keep on laughing off the male victims of rape then they'll continue to be embarrassed by it and they will turn that shame inwards to the detriment of their psyche. I don't think an episode of Star Trek should play a rape story for laughs.

And yes, I realise that some might think I'm being a hypocrite due to my joke about date-rape back in my Timeless review, but that joke was aimed at me and not at the fictional victims.

HopefulRomantic wrote: View Post
It's not often that I see someone complaining because Travis does have something to do in an episode.
bluedana wrote: View Post
Perhaps you missed the early establishing conversations where Travis mentioned that he was fascinated by the mystery of Terra Nova. Doing the report to Starfleet about it would be an honor - not so much paperwork as a "paper," maybe something that might get published.
I remember it, but what did Travis do during the episode other than get a shuttlepod trapped in a cave? I want Travis to get more screentime, but throwing the character some scenes and claiming he was critical to the plot when he was hardly involved is not the way to do it.
Old September 10 2009, 06:19 PM   #84
Tallis Rhul
Commander

TheGodBen wrote:
Voyager had a strong first season followed by a lot of average seasons, and the first half of season 3 was abysmal, whereas Enterprise's ace in the hole was its final two seasons.
I'm pleased you've said that. I badly don't want to give up, and I think I enjoyed Catwalk which was the last episode I watched, but I felt distinctly grumpy by the end of it, and I'm not even 75. Never really had that before...

TheGodBen wrote:
if you answered "these are three cities TheGodBen has never been to" then you would be partially correct.
I went with "They're cities TheGodBen never bought a cheeseburger in". I think that scores a partial.

Jimmy Bob wrote:
Anyway, we've never have had an actual conflict from my point of view, which why there has been no reason to "face you like a man."
So no epic 'Trip vs. Alien'esque fight scene for us then?

Pemmer Harge wrote:
Terra Nova? I liked this one better when it was called "Miri".
You know it's funny, we get a holograms are real people episode soon, just like in DS9...

bluedana wrote:
Actually, he starts out very excited to be visiting the alien ship. He becomes a "big whiner" after 3 hours of uncomfortable decompression, and as an effect of the change in environment. The aliens tell Archer that it happens all the time. Once he gets some rest - as suggested - he's fine and charming.
That's as may be, but did we need to see it all? We could have skipped most of that and had the line "It took me 3 hours of decompression before I could come aboard, this better be worth it!" or some such.

Count Zero wrote:
Oooh! Oooh! I can field this one... it's the one recurring scene in twilight that happens approximately every 5 seconds where Bella stares into Edward's eyes and they play something mushy on the piano...

What do you mean, not that Twilight?

The thing that struck me most about Terra Nova was how pointless a lot of it was. Malcolm remaining behind was hammed up. Who gave? We knew he'd be in it the week after. Also the bit where Archer nearly falls down that hole and gets saved by the tribesman... who gave? It didn't really have an effect because it didn't seem believable somehow. I'm pretty sure there was something I enjoyed about the episode, but I couldn't tell you which bit!

One thing that did really grate was that the guy who played the tribesman is (I'm pretty sure) the same guy who played the Klingon commander for Unexpected, we were supposed to not recognise him, but HE HAS THE SAME FACE! IT'S THE SAME GUY! And if it turns out to not be him then he looked like him so my strop stands!

Ever wanted to serve aboard your own ship? Visit Tallis's favourite website here: http://www.starbase118.net - the best Star Trek play by email roleplaying community going!
Tallis Rhul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2009, 08:46 PM   #85
Disillusioned
Commander

They threw the people who wanted Archer and T'Pol to hook up a bone by taking a line of dialog out.

Basically T'Pol is acting as his live-in helper (with her own separate bed area), and the majority of the episode consists of her bringing a gray-haired Archer up to speed like she presumably has to every morning, kind of like the movie "Clean Slate."

Anyway, at one point Archer notices that T'Pol lives in the same house and asks her, "how far has our relationship evolved?" or something along those lines. Originally she had a line of dialog indicating that there was nothing romantic between them, but thanks to Scott Bakula's influence that line was omitted and T'Pol simply paused awkwardly instead, meant to leave some ambiguity.
Disillusioned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2009, 09:12 PM   #86
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

Hehehe, good for him.
Old September 10 2009, 10:24 PM   #87
Treknut
Captain

Pity he didn't use his influence on the Abomination and cut the whole final episode out
Treknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2009, 10:26 PM   #88
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

Well, at the time, there were a lot of stories making the rounds how the actors were upset about the script and protested, but to no avail. And, well, there wasn't much to save...
Old September 10 2009, 10:39 PM   #89
apenpaap
Commodore

You know, for some time I've been wondering what kind of tribute Enterprise would've done for Trek's 40th anniversary had it continued, and I suspect it would've been TATV (As that wouldn't have ended Season 4 if the show had continued, obviously). Not a pleasant thought.
Old September 11 2009, 03:13 AM   #90
Jimmy Bob
Commander

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Bingo!
Oh. Oh I see now. I'm stupid.

Tallis Rhul wrote: View Post
So no epic 'Trip vs. Alien'esque fight scene for us then?

Let me fix what can be fixed.

This is a priest.

If he'd rape me, it'd scar me for life.

Now this is a sexy female alien.

Rape by sexy female alien does not qualify as rape.

Because:

She's hot.
Jimmy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote