RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,413
Posts: 5,360,121
Members: 24,632
Currently online: 427
Newest member: shrutidhrma


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 1 2009, 09:20 PM   #226
flemm
Fleet Captain
 
Re: TheGodBen Revisits Enterprise

bluedana wrote: View Post
I can see how the character would at least be disturbed about playing God, because that's an awful lot of power and an awful lot of responsibility for one man.
Yes, that is understandable. That is partly why I think the PD is actually quite a fascinating idea. The problem here imo is that Phlox's reasoning is flawed, and this reasoning is emphasized by the episode, as a reason for not intervening.

As you say, the episode doesn't really want to be about evolution, so it would probably have been better to eliminate that aspect entirely, and just focus on Archer's decision, which would then basically amount to something like: "I'm sorry, but I don't think I have a right to decide the immediate future of your two species. I'm out here to explore, not to play God." You don't need the bogus evolutionary argument for the episode to be about this.

The decision would still be debatable, but it would not be based on what is basically a flawed understanding of the way evolution works (at least from what I can tell from my limited understanding of the subject).
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2009, 09:39 PM   #227
M
Vice Admiral
 
M's Avatar
 
Re: TheGodBen Revisits Enterprise

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
I would love to know what MikeSussman has to say about this.
Oh crap! Why did you have to tell me that he's a member? Now I'm going to feel awkward in case he reads the thread and I'll have to rate all his episodes with 5 stars. And I'll have to drop the series of jokes I had planned about his mother.
Sorry. I just figured I might save you some embarrassment by telling you sooner rather than later.
__________________
Bashir: »Out of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?«
Garak: »My dear doctor, they're all true.«
Bashir: »Even the lies?«
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2009, 11:55 PM   #228
SRFX
Captain
 
SRFX's Avatar
 
Location: Perth, Australia
Re: TheGodBen Revisits Enterprise

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
TheGodBen wrote: View Post
NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
I would love to know what MikeSussman has to say about this.
Oh crap! Why did you have to tell me that he's a member? Now I'm going to feel awkward in case he reads the thread and I'll have to rate all his episodes with 5 stars. And I'll have to drop the series of jokes I had planned about his mother.
Sorry. I just figured I might save you some embarrassment by telling you sooner rather than later.
Who cares if he's a member! People should be able to take criticism where it's due, and that boob of a scene deserves it.

That said, I found it pretty entertaining to watch.

TheGodBen - Stay the course! Your reviews are hell of entertaining.
SRFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2009, 12:28 AM   #229
flemm
Fleet Captain
 
Re: TheGodBen Revisits Enterprise

Incidentally, I was expecting Archer to say something like: "Maybe someday, when my people have more experience with this kind of thing, we will develop a set of rules for dealing with this type of situation, but for now I'm just going to do what feels right and help these people."

The idea that Archer would just walk away really startled me a bit and didn't feel natural at all for the character.

If you wanted to deal with the importance of the PD, you could have had Archer trust his instinct to help out, then come back to this civilization later, with some problems having arisen, and basically have the PD develop more organically, through trial and error. You'd have Archer say to himself: "Well, I did what seemed right, but maybe it was shortsighted. I'll have to be more careful next time," and so on.
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2009, 02:06 AM   #230
bluedana
Moderator
 
bluedana's Avatar
 
Location: on the raggedy edge with bluedana
Re: TheGodBen Revisits Enterprise

flemm wrote: View Post
Incidentally, I was expecting Archer to say something like: "Maybe someday, when my people have more experience with this kind of thing, we will develop a set of rules for dealing with this type of situation, but for now I'm just going to do what feels right and help these people."

The idea that Archer would just walk away really startled me a bit and didn't feel natural at all for the character.

If you wanted to deal with the importance of the PD, you could have had Archer trust his instinct to help out, then come back to this civilization later, with some problems having arisen, and basically have the PD develop more organically, through trial and error. You'd have Archer say to himself: "Well, I did what seemed right, but maybe it was shortsighted. I'll have to be more careful next time," and so on.
Well, he didn't really just walk away; he specifically said that they were leaving the research Phlox had done (leaving out that they had found the cure) and that he was sure they'd develop the cure themselves. It appeared that he could live with that compromise.
__________________
Fall seven times. Stand up eight. -- Japanese proverb.
bluedana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2009, 05:04 AM   #231
Glacial
Lieutenant
 
Glacial's Avatar
 
Re: TheGodBen Revisits Enterprise

It is a relief to know that our current understanding of how evolution works is the absolutely correct one, and certainly won't be regarded in the 2150s as we regard how biology was understood in the 1850s.
__________________
"Cap'n!" -- Trip Tucker, many many times
Glacial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2009, 06:28 AM   #232
HopefulRomantic
Phloxist Moderator
 
HopefulRomantic's Avatar
 
Location: feeding the cats again
Re: TheGodBen Revisits Enterprise

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Mike Sussman: Hey mom, I'm finally living my dream of being a Star Trek writer!
Mother Sussman: That's great son. What did you write today?
Mike Sussman: Today I wrote a scene where the captain gets some ginormous Vulcan boobs in his face!
Mother Sussman: ...
I would love to know what MikeSussman has to say about this.
SRFX wrote: View Post
NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Oh crap! Why did you have to tell me that he's a member? Now I'm going to feel awkward in case he reads the thread and I'll have to rate all his episodes with 5 stars. And I'll have to drop the series of jokes I had planned about his mother.
Sorry. I just figured I might save you some embarrassment by telling you sooner rather than later.
Who cares if he's a member! People should be able to take criticism where it's due, and that boob of a scene deserves it.
Personal attacks on any member of this board (outside of TNZ) can be considered trolling.

Kick around that boob of a scene all you want, as long as you don't aim any kicks at Mr. Sussman. (Or his mom. )
__________________
"It's late, I'm tired, and there's so much left to do." ~Ernst Stavro Blofeld, Diamonds Are Forever
HopefulRomantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2009, 04:01 PM   #233
FlapJoy
Lieutenant Commander
 
FlapJoy's Avatar
 
Location: Unhooked.
Re: TheGodBen Revisits Enterprise

bluedana wrote: View Post
I'm going to regret this; I can just feel it.

I think the basic dilemma had nothing really to do with evolution, and everything to do with playing God. It's one thing to happen into a situation where People A are oppressing People B, who do not want to be oppressed. Archer clearly feels that in such a situation, helping People B (say, the non-cabal Suliban) is the right thing to do because the underlying situation is not the natural order of things.
Right on the money !!
FlapJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2009, 06:15 PM   #234
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral
 
TheGodBen's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: TheGodBen Revisits Enterprise

Yug wrote: View Post
Respect your elders sonny.
I'm very much of the opinion that true respect has to be earned, and while I don't believe that means it is okay to be rude, it does mean that it's okay for me not to respect someone who refers to me as a "short little fuck" without the accompanying wink smiley. If Mike Sussman were to come in here and call me a dickhead then that would be fair game.

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
Sorry. I just figured I might save you some embarrassment by telling you sooner rather than later.
Thanks for the warning. From now on all his episodes will automatically recieve the Ron Moore score; 6 stars.

HopefulRomantic wrote: View Post
Personal attacks on any member of this board (outside of TNZ) can be considered trolling.
Joe Menosky's not a member, is he? Because if he is then the Voyager review thread could get me permabanned! And I once threatened to kick Michael Taylor in the gonads.


Shuttlepod One (****½)

Two characters, two days, a bottle of bourbon... and no toilet. Star Trek writers: forgetting about one of the most common human functions since 1966.

Joking aside, I do really like this episode. It may follow the age-old formula of putting two people in a room and watching how they react to one another, but Reed and Trip make a great pairing with a lot of chemistry. To be honest, not much happens in this episode beyond some bickering and bonding so it is hard to review, all I can say is that "It works".

I do have one complaint however (who would have seen it coming ) and that is how the situation is very contrived and requires some suspension of disbelief to get to the good stuff. The good stuff is really good and it is so enjoyable that I'm willing to forgive the outlandish premise (a captain who abandons two of his crew without a toilet for two days), but it really does push things. That and "stinky".
__________________
...so many different suns...
TheGodBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2009, 07:19 PM   #235
Tallis Rhul
Commander
 
Tallis Rhul's Avatar
 
Location: Rakantha Province
Re: TheGodBen Revisits Enterprise

TheGhoulBen wrote:
And I'll have to drop the series of jokes I had planned about his mother.
Aww, even the one that involved the Grand Canyon?

TheGhoulBen wrote: View Post
Two characters, two days, a bottle of bourbon... and no toilet. Star Trek writers: forgetting about one of the most common human functions since 1966.
You didn't see what was inside those used ration packs...

I liked this episode, but it made me think that Malcolm was a whining pantywaist for some reason. (I wanted him to go out the airlock :/ a little extreme, but there it is.) He's BRITISH dammit, where is his stiff upper lip!?
__________________
"If you're not fighting them, you're helping them."

Ever wanted to serve aboard your own ship? Visit Tallis's favourite website here: http://www.starbase118.net - the best Star Trek play by email roleplaying community going!
Tallis Rhul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2009, 07:32 PM   #236
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral
 
Gep Malakai's Avatar
 
Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai
Re: TheGodBen Revisits Enterprise

HopefulRomantic wrote: View Post
Personal attacks on any member of this board (outside of TNZ) can be considered trolling.

Kick around that boob of a scene all you want, as long as you don't aim any kicks at Mr. Sussman. (Or his mom. )
You know, I think I just figured out how Brannon Braga can permanently quash all fandom backlash from here on out...
__________________
"From the darkness you must fall, failed and weak, to darkness all."
-Kataris
Gep Malakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2009, 08:07 PM   #237
Yug
Lieutenant Commander
 
Yug's Avatar
 
Re: TheGodBen Revisits Enterprise

TheGhoulBen wrote: View Post
I'm very much of the opinion that true respect has to be earned, and while I don't believe that means it is okay to be rude, it does mean that it's okay for me not to respect someone who refers to me as a "short little fuck" without the accompanying wink smiley. If Mike Sussman were to come in here and call me a dickhead then that would be fair game.
I don't like smileys... ya short little fuck!
Yug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2009, 05:09 PM   #238
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral
 
TheGodBen's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: TheGodBen Revisits Enterprise

Fusion (*****)

This is a masterful episode encompassing all of the things which make for fantastic television. It had nebulas, Vulcans, angry Vulcans, Vulcan wet-dreams, Archer got thrown across the room, Mayweather hardly said anything, and Steven Segal made a very emotional cameo. Mike Sussman has really outdone himself here (I'm assuming that Mike did all the work writing this episode while Phyllis Strong brought him coffee) and this is easily the best episode of Enterprise so far. Good work Mike!









































I heard a rumour that Mike Sussman doesn't know how to scroll down webpages, so I'm putting the real review below this gap in case he is reading.


Fusion (***)

The first time I saw this episode I didn't like it too much, but looking back with hindsight I can see how important this episode is for the future of T'Pol's character. And no, I don't mean because of the space AIDS. Knowing of T'Pol's later experimentation with emotion and her Trellium addiction it is now clear to me that these emotional Vulcans present a threat to her, because she wants to experience emotions and one of the things holding her back is the fear that it will make her unstable. Unlike Spock or Tuvok, T'Pol doesn't really seem to believe the Vulcan mantra that emotions much be purged to achieve logic, the reason why she has accepted it is because of the culture she has grown up in. As she spends time with humans she begins to fit into a new culture, one where emotions are accepted, so her desire to explore her own emotions increases. If this was an intentional character trait by B&B then it is reasonably clever, and if it was just an accident that happened because the writers were having trouble coming up with an interesting direction for her character then it still works.

Buuuuuuuuut... in what appears to be a requirement to return the show to the status quo, Tolaris turns out to be mentally unstable and he assaults T'Pol mentally before assaulting Archer physically. This destroys the good work that the episode was trying to accomplish and T'Pol goes back to purging her emotions. I can kind of understand what the point was, that Vulcan emotions are overpowering and T'Pol can never be free to explore them, but knowing T'Pol's eventual direction this feels like a step back. It also makes Tolaris into a typical and uninteresting villain, which is a pity. It also makes no sense for Archer to judge the entire group as unstable because of one member.

Another problem I had was the dream sequence, it felt very hokey. Maybe other people experience dreams differently to me, but I have never had a dream like that, the only people who seem to have dreams like that are editors because I've seen that same type of dream on dozens of TV shows. The only show I have ever seen that got dreams right (from my perspective) was The Sopranos, they seemed to realise that dreams, though often surreal, feel normal while you're in them. For example.

Archer Abuse: 7
__________________
...so many different suns...
TheGodBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2009, 06:26 PM   #239
FlapJoy
Lieutenant Commander
 
FlapJoy's Avatar
 
Location: Unhooked.
Re: TheGodBen Revisits Enterprise

Yikes!
Can bluedana take this over this thread for you Ghoul? Or anyone else? It seems they may have a better grasp on this show that you ever will. And without the snarky wisecracks. You're not funny or even the least bit insightful about this series you're "reviewing".

-NIPPLES AHOY !!!
FlapJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2009, 09:29 PM   #240
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral
 
TheGodBen's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: TheGodBen Revisits Enterprise

Oh no, my self-esteem has been shot to pieces. I guess I'll stop doing this thread then. Or, and this is just a mad thought I've had, you could stop reading if you're not interested in what I have to say. It's not like as if I charged you for the pleasure of reading my thoughts, you're the one who made the decision to open this thread and read it, so it is you who has to justify that misspent time, not me.

Are my reviews very insightful? No, and they never will be, especially considering how busy I am right now. But I'll tell you what, how about we hold a vote to determine if I should continue? If people vote "Yes" I'll keep going, but if the people vote "No" then I'll ignore them and take a page from my government by holding another vote until I get the "right" answer.
__________________
...so many different suns...
TheGodBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
ben being unbearably smug, episode discussion, review

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.