RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,703
Members: 24,207
Currently online: 765
Newest member: MaileDetty

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old May 16 2010, 01:09 AM   #1
Beyerstein
Captain

What star trek episodes deal with grieving over deaths of loved ones?

I'm thinking that i mostly want to watch TNG episodes but perhaps some from other series as well
Beyerstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2010, 02:17 AM   #2
Vonstadt
Captain

Re: What star trek episodes deal with grieving over deaths of loved on

Ben Sisko in "Emissary' DS9's pilot episode.

He had to overcome his grief over the loss of his wife at Wolf 359.
Old May 16 2010, 03:35 PM   #3
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

The movie GENERATIONS has Picard grieving over the recent deaths of his brother and nephew.

And Kirk is still mourning his son's death in THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY . . . .
Old May 16 2010, 05:08 PM   #4
Epsilon IX
Fleet Captain

Let us also not forget DS9's 'The Visitor', although technically Ben Sisko hadn't 'died' but was trapped in 'the nexus', or a similar dimension, which was all the more painful for his son, hence why he threw away his life and career trying to rescue him.
Old May 16 2010, 06:44 PM   #5
Mr Cool Dude

Reunion. K'Ehleyr was murdered by Duras. Worf beamed over to the Klingon ship and killed him.
Old May 17 2010, 03:57 AM   #6
Admiral Shran
Admiral

Ties of Blood and Water. Kira mourns the deaths of her father and Tekeny Ghemor.
Old May 17 2010, 11:39 PM   #7
Too Much Fun
Commodore

There's "Interface" with Geordi refusing to accept his mother's death. Not quite an example of a great episode, but relevant to this thread.

Minor Spoilers (If, for some inconceivable reason you haven't seen these ancient episodes yet, despite being TNG fans for this long )

The two TNG episodes that I think deal with death most powerfully and satisfyingly (from a storyline/acting standpoint) are "The Offspring" and "Lower Decks". They aren't really about death until their endings, but once the deaths do happen, they are devastatingly moving and lovely depictions of how death affects friends and family of the deceased. These are two of the only episodes of TNG that make me teary (along with "Darmok", "The Inner Light", and "All Good Things...").
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2010, 11:41 PM   #8
The Wormhole
Admiral

TNG's The Bonding comes to mind. And hell, even though it is a movie, The Search for Spock is basically the TOS gang mourning Spock's death.
Old May 18 2010, 01:08 PM   #9
RegFan
Commodore

Too Much Fun wrote: View Post
The two TNG episodes that I think deal with death most powerfully and satisfyingly (from a storyline/acting standpoint) are "The Offspring" and "Lower Decks". They aren't really about death until their endings, but once the deaths do happen, they are devastatingly moving and lovely depictions of how death affects friends and family of the deceased.
VOY's Real Life is also like this.
RegFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2010, 01:21 PM   #10
Pauln6
Commodore

The Visitor did it best I think. Although alegorical it was about a child's inability to overcome the loss of a parent and how that affected their entire life and particularly about how it isn't really about the lost one - it really is all about those left behind (Sisko is fine with his lot in life - he's affected by the way his loss has affected his child). A very powerful story.
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2010, 01:53 PM   #11
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

RegFan wrote: View Post
The two TNG episodes that I think deal with death most powerfully and satisfyingly (from a storyline/acting standpoint) are "The Offspring" and "Lower Decks". They aren't really about death until their endings, but once the deaths do happen, they are devastatingly moving and lovely depictions of how death affects friends and family of the deceased.

Too much fun's suggestions are excellent. Those are amazing episodes.

OMG. That episode (Real Life) rips your heart out.
One of Voyager's finest in my opinion.
Yeoman Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2010, 07:20 PM   #12
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Yeoman Randi wrote: View Post
RegFan wrote: View Post

Too much fun's suggestions are excellent. Those are amazing episodes.

OMG. That episode (Real Life) rips your heart out.
One of Voyager's finest in my opinion.

STNG The Bonding, STNG Hero Worship also

RAMA
Old May 19 2010, 06:25 AM   #13
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

TNG Lower Decks.

When Picard mmakes the announcement at the end, I get goosebumps.
Also The Inner Light
Old May 20 2010, 05:05 AM   #14
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

"The Bonding" from TNG deals directly with the issue of death and grief from several viewpoints. Worf feels regret and guilt for a crew member's loss under his command. Her son is unable to grieve because of the alien's interference, regardless of good intentions. Wesley explains his grief over his father's death and tells Picard how he feels about it.
Old May 21 2010, 02:56 AM   #15
KiraDax
Captain

I think TNG's The Child and VOY's Before And After qualify. Though Deanna's 'son' didn't technically die, he did in a fashion to her eyes, and she certainly had to accept and mourn a loss. And though Before And After was AU, the bits with Tom trying to come to terms with Kes' aging and the Krenim losses (B'Elanna included) made it emotionally for me.