RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,671
Members: 24,822
Currently online: 513
Newest member: The Great Duck

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old August 20 2009, 03:03 AM   #1
Masao
Fleet Captain

Never-was web cartoon: [I]Star Trek: Final Frontier[/I]

This week's The Zero Room podcast gave a link to a website describing an abandoned animated series developed for Startrek.com called Star Trek: Final Frontier.

http://zeroroom.squarespace.com/
Old August 20 2009, 06:24 PM   #2
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Re: Never-was web cartoon: [I]Star Trek: Final Frontier[/I]

Looks at a quick glance like the same art as the Rossi/Mirabello/Muñoz animated series which has been in development limbo for the last few years.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2009, 07:36 PM   #3
DougM
Ensign

Yeah, it's the same project, though it didn't have a title before. We figured it'd be cool to put it out there and let everyone see what we were up to.
DougM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2009, 01:58 AM   #4
FredH
Captain

It reads as though it would have made an interesting series--and I say that as someone who frankly hated the idea in 2005. (Whatever Star Trek: Nemesis' faults, that film seemed to wrap up Trek's metaplot by leading it into a more peaceful future, and I didn't want to see that ruined by more catastrophe. Then STXI came along...) I certainly like the reaffirmation-of-ideals take of the script so far, and look forward to the remaining parts.

Kinda prefer the Battlestar Galactiprise to the "squarehead" ship design, myself.
FredH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2009, 10:41 PM   #5
DougM
Ensign

Thanks, I am curious to know what exactly you hated back in 2005. All that was really released then was our backstory, which is why we decided to get the rest out there.

We'll be posting the second part of the script tonight (I think), so look out for that and please let me know what you think.

Last edited by DougM; August 26 2009 at 01:12 AM.
Old August 26 2009, 01:31 AM   #6
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

I always liked the concept, and the art looks a bit Transformers: Animated (which I like). The only thing I didn't like was that, if I understand correctly, that it was going to be web-bases series only. It would have been nice to have (had) Star Wars and Star Trek both running some good animated shows on television.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2009, 04:34 PM   #7
FredH
Captain

DougM wrote: View Post
Thanks, I am curious to know what exactly you hated back in 2005. All that was really released then was our backstory, which is why we decided to get the rest out there.
As I said, what I hated at the time was the trouncing of the "happy-ending future" Nemesis seemed to lead into--i.e. the basic premise of there having been a big war that blew everything to shreds. I'm fine with fanfic that uses that premise, but didn't want to see an Actual Official Trek Series go there--not least because there were already other franchises doing the same basic idea, such as Andromeda or BSG, whereas Trek was supposed to be the one franchise that largely stayed with the overall-positive, not-entirely-wartorn future.

This has nothing to do with the actual quality of the work itself. I'm quite liking the script, so far.
FredH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2009, 06:55 PM   #8
Starfury
Commander

That whole project sounds (and looks) great! Do you need any help? Designs, sketches or something like that?
Old August 27 2009, 05:22 AM   #9
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

I can sympathize you on the process. It has been many years since I worked on a series project, but I know it is long and laborious. The work looks very good. I would like to see it supported by the studio.
Old August 27 2009, 10:19 PM   #10
DougM
Ensign

TheGallifreyanSith wrote: View Post
The only thing I didn't like was that, if I understand correctly, that it was going to be web-bases series only. It would have been nice to have (had) Star Wars and Star Trek both running some good animated shows on television.
I totally agree that TV would have been awesome, but at the time Star Trek was still in a state of limbo, with Enterprise gone, the film not yet announced, and CBS unsure of what to do next. A web series was far more likely to sell because it's much cheaper and a lower risk for all involved.

Starfury wrote: View Post
That whole project sounds (and looks) great! Do you need any help? Designs, sketches or something like that?
Thanks! We're not really producing anything new right now, just releasing the stuff we already have. Depending on what happens with the project's future, we may open it up for art submissions again.
Old August 27 2009, 11:19 PM   #11
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

It'd be nice if they went this route. I honestly thing that animated 'Trek is probably a better way of going than live-action; just for the fact that you can do more visually, we can have than just "forehead-of-week" type aliens. The character designs look good, the story works well from what I can judge given what you've present on the website. The only thing I would probably change is the design of the Enteprise; to blocky IMO.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2009, 01:24 AM   #12
DougM
Ensign

The only thing I would probably change is the design of the Enteprise; to blocky IMO.
Agreed. The blockiness is a result of the program used to create it. We just needed a quick idea of what the general shape would be like, and Sketchup doesn't handle curves very well. The final design would have been that shape but with much rounder edges. Or we would have kept fighting about it and it would have been totally different.
Old August 28 2009, 04:09 AM   #13
Cobalt Frost
Captain

Location: seduced by The Coolness in Phineas & Ferb's backyard

Can't wait to read more!
Old August 31 2009, 07:17 PM   #14
DougM
Ensign

Part two of the script is up on the site. Part three should be up in a few days.

zeroroom.squarespace.com
Old September 1 2009, 02:17 PM   #15
B.J.
Rear Admiral

DougM wrote: View Post
The only thing I would probably change is the design of the Enteprise; to blocky IMO.
Agreed. The blockiness is a result of the program used to create it. We just needed a quick idea of what the general shape would be like, and Sketchup doesn't handle curves very well. The final design would have been that shape but with much rounder edges. Or we would have kept fighting about it and it would have been totally different.

You know, if you asked for design ideas around here, you'd get 1001 different answers! The best part of your design process, IMO, is that you *didn't* call it "NCC-1701-***". From what I've read so far, it sounds like the history of the name Enterprise is something the crew would need to rediscover.

I'm not sure how well this would be received if you gone into production, but I'm certainly intrigued by the reveal at the end of part 2.