RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,724
Members: 24,210
Currently online: 800
Newest member: vagarcia74

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 9 2009, 03:17 PM   #1
Gojirob
Rear Admiral

Truman Show : Were Any Laws Broken?

The adoption was legal, and I suppose, in the world of the film, how they raised him was their business, so long as he was obviously fed and boarded and not abused in a physical sense, though even there, I have questions. But, even with the needs of a movie, and in-universe, the popularity of a TV show, at some point, I have to believe, such extreme actions taken to keep a now-grown man ignorant of the truth of his world almost have to break laws that transcend this fictional world. I can see law enforcement going lax in the face of pressure from various sources, but that wouldn't change the fact that laws were broken. I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know for certain that any big, red-flag ones were. Any help?
Old September 9 2009, 04:34 PM   #2
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Re: Truman Show : Were Any Laws Broken?

Well, I think slavery is a crime....

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2009, 05:06 PM   #3
Scout101
Admiral

was he a slave, though? He worked a regular job, and until the end, was doing everything of his own free will. They manipulated him, yes, but when he decided to leave, he WAS able to do so...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2009, 05:11 PM   #4
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Well, once he turned 18, without a contract, pretty much every recording made of him that was not in public (in his home for example) would have been an invasion of privacy.
Old September 9 2009, 07:16 PM   #5
Mistral
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Well, once he turned 18, without a contract, pretty much every recording made of him that was not in public (in his home for example) would have been an invasion of privacy.
And whatever "job" he "worked" at was a fabrication-his real job was actor in a reality show-for which he was not paid. If not slavery, certainly some kind of indentured servitude. Either way, illegal. I mean, Jesus, didn't they even shoot at him to stop him from leaving?

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2009, 04:24 AM   #6
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

sojourner wrote: View Post
I suppose, technically, you could argue that the home was legally owned by the producers of the series. Still, as a renter, Truman might have some reasonable expectation of privacy in his residence. But I doubt anyone would be brought up on criminal charges for it. In civil court, however, Truman could single handedly financially destroy everyone who ever profited from the show for unauthorized use of his image.
Old September 10 2009, 04:25 AM   #7
Non Sync
Captain

I'm sure there were all sorts of labor laws broken.

California Child Labor laws limits filming of newborns to just 20 minutes a day. Children between 15 days and 6 months can only be on the set for just 2 consecutive hours per day.
Old September 10 2009, 06:28 AM   #8
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Well, there was that bit where they tried to murder him at the end.