Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old September 2 2009, 07:20 PM   #16
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Re: The BOURNE Continuity!

TLR: More's a'comin'!

Count: Here's your answer.

Reinforcements for the Valkyries pursuing Barb scrambled from bases on Earth. They would be too late. Knowing this, the pursuers ramped up their attack. They made some headway, but the cutter's shields were still holding. What the pilots didn't know - but suspected - was that without a crew aboard and without its own weapons, Barb's computer could devote every erg of power to the shields and maintaining a warp field.

"Pull up!" The lead pilot finally called. The ships were seconds away from impact. The Valkyries peeled off in different directions and gunned their engines.

The Barb slammed into the Moon travelling at every kilometer per second of the speed of light. On impact, her shields and warp field collapsed at the same instant, crushing the hull of the ship around the warp core, which breached. The resulting explosion tripled the size of the crater formed by the initial impact and threw tons of moondust into space. All this happened within the first second.

The Moon was rattled in its orbit. Quakes radiated out from the impact zone and converged on the settlements in the opposite hemisphere. Residents of the satellite were devastated by sudden, violent tremors that shook buildings off their foundations and cracked atmosphere-bearing pressure domes. Civil Defense and Rescue agencies, having only gotten a warning a few seconds after Barb's course change, were hard-pressed to gear up while the tremors persisted with no let-up in sight.

On Earth, tides rose sharply in areas over which the Moon currently traveled, flooding coastal cities and small islands. Rescue agencies here, prepared for an impact somewhere on Earth, were instead faced with the need to keep people across the hemisphere from being drowned in their beds. Calls went out immediately to any and all available starships for support, but the only one already in the sector was the starship Sundown, a Nova-class currently in spacedock for upgrades. The commander and crew were recalled from shore leave immediately, though several of the crewmembers had been in the areas affected when the Moon was hit.

__________________________________________________ ____

The immediate aftereffects of Barb's impact lasted more than four hours, while after shocks on the moon would continue throughout the next day. The people at Sector Approach Control monitored it all, helpless to do anything else. "By the prophets," a Bajoran officer said. Theo McGarry was speechless, trying desperately to figure out if there was anything else he might have done. It was cold comfort to realize that the entire event had been planned so there would be nothing he could have done.

Commander Krill was about to try and comfort McGarry again, when someone else got his attention. "Commander, the Barb transmitted a message through subspace just before impact. It looks like a recording."

"Play it," Krill said. He turned his attention to the master display taking up a wall of the room. In a moment, the chart of the Solar System and the tracks of inbound ships displayed there were replaced by the image of a dark-haired, blue-eyed woman who appeared to be sitting in a starship's ready room.

"Citizens of the Federation," she began, "You may call me April, and what you have just witnessed is a demonstration of my power..."

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2009, 08:17 PM   #17
TheLoneRedshirt
Commodore

Ms. April is one cold b***h. I have to wonder, though - if she's so pro-human/anti-alien why attack the moon circling the human homeworld? Why not attack Vulcan or some other "alien" planet? Must be more to her agenda than you've revealed so far.

A devastating attack, indeed. Nice job of describing the effects. I wonder how many lives were lost as a result?

Just hope Bourne wasn't hanging out on the beach - if he was, it may be a long while before he shows up.
Old September 2 2009, 08:39 PM   #18
CeJay
Commodore

Ah, terrorism ... you gotta hate it.

But it makes for some fun story-telling. As is usual of course there is only like one starship in the entire solar system. When will they learn?

I like the concept of approch control for Sol. I've been thinking along the same lines considering how much traffic there ought to be.

Now the question is ... who will stand up to this evil Ms April? It aint gonna be the folks manning approch control, that's for sure.

Now with a complete United Trek story archive.
CeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2009, 08:49 PM   #19
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Ok, I see what you're doing. You're telling a simple tale of a boy and his dog, right? Hmm, maybe not. Guess I'll just have to keep reading to figure it out. Lori Singer? Um, shouldn't the description be: "Tall, leggy, slender blonde" ?

http://www.lorisinger.com/Gallery/index.html

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2009, 09:12 PM   #20
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

TLR: Think about it. It's Earth in Star Trek.

CeJay: If they learned, there wouldn't be a series, now would there?

Mistral: More like this Lori Singer:

http://www.memorabiliacards.com/JAG%...0case%20A4.jpg

Thanks all for the kind words and sticking with this as I slap it together. More to come soon (I hope).

-Tom Clancy
Old September 2 2009, 09:34 PM   #21
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

Ooh, I really want to hear the rest of the message. What a ruthless act.
Old September 3 2009, 01:34 AM   #22
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

1402 HOURS
UNDISCLOSED LOCATION
EARTH

"It is not power that I use lightly, or without regret, but I will use it without hesitation. I want you to understand this as I state my purpose.

"Centuries ago, Humans invited non-Humans to stay on Earth after First Contact had been established. Since then, the planet has been overrun with non-Humans that have insinuated themselves into Human civilization and stunted Human development, which is actually a violation of the Federation's vaunted 'Prime Directive.' This situation is unacceptable. Earth is the Human homeworld, and it is time Humans reestablished their dominance over their parent world.

"To that end, I am issuing the following directive: All non-Humans inhabiting the planet Earth must be removed to either their own homeworlds or nearest habitable worlds outside the Solar System. Of course, I understand that this will mean repatriating millions of sentients to other star systems, so I will not impose an arbitrary deadline for completing the task. However, the repatriation must begin within the next seventy-two hours.

"If, at the end of that time, I've seen no indication that you are complying with this directive...I will destroy the Earth. If the Human Race may not have Earth exclusively to itself, then I'll see to it that no one will have it. Humans will start over on a new world, one not dominated by other races who will bend Humans to their will and their values.

"Three days, or the United Federation of Planets will need a new capital world." The woman called April settled back in her chair and closed with, "Thank you for listening, and please, do not hesitate to carry out my demands."

The President of the United Federation of Planets touched a contact on the display, freezing the image of April on the screen. She then rubbed her eyes and tried to think. She was tired. Her security force had literally grabbed her from her bed and spirited her away to an underground bunker when the first warnings about the Barb had come in. She was still there, meeting with her cabinet via holographic telepresence. They had all been scattered to different shelters in the hope that a single catastrophe would not eliminate the whole government.

The President raised her head and turned to the gathering. "Can she do it?" She asked.

The Science Advisor, A gray-haired Vulcan, answered. "A similar impact anywhere on the planet Earth would have disastrous effects on the whole ecosystem, while impacts at certain points would mean extinction of all life on the surface. Yes, Madam President. She can do it."

"The people on the Moon were lucky that there's no natural environment at all," The Home Secretary, a Human, chimed in. "With no atmosphere to contain and transfer the effects of the explosions..."

"Lucky?!" The Defense Secretary, a Tellarite, raged. "You call what they're going through lucky?? A thousand confirmed dead, more than ten thousand injured, and both those numbers are sure to rise as rescue efforts continue!"

"I read the report too," Home shot back, "but if the Moon had had an atmosphere everybody would have been dead immediately, and there wouldn't be anybody for rescue efforts to save!"

"What about the flooding here on the planet?!" Defense bellowed. "Should the people we had to fish from the tides consider themselves lucky that they weren't killed by Cochrane radiation?"

"Gentlemen," The President said. She wanted to move on. "How do we stop her?"

"We can't give in to her demands," the Justice Minister, A Betazoid, said. "Especially something so heinous."

"I wasn't suggesting we do that," The President said. "What can we do?"

"We can hunt her down and kill her!" Defense growled, pounding his fist on an invisible table for emphasis.

"That's a great idea," the Foreign Minister, a Deltan woman, said. "Do you have the first clue where to look?"

"The Barb was one of the ships that disappeared last week, and intelligence is sure that the ready room she was in was one that you'd see in an explorer. An Ambassador and a Sovereign - two explorers - are also missing. I've got every available unit searching for those ships. I'll bet my damned life that if we find those ships, we'll find her!"

"And then what? We just snuff her out?" The Foreign Minister said.

The Science Advisor agreed. "Would it not be a more appropriate goal to bring her in and have her stand trial for her actions?"

"More appropriate, maybe," Defense said, "but it might be impossible in the three days we have before she throws another one of those ships at the planet!"

"Then let's defend the planet," Home said. "Recall all those ships you have searching and set up a perimeter here. Destroy the next one she sends in."

"And if the next one has life-forms aboard?" Science said, making everyone turn to him. "I doubt, after today's events, that we are dealing with someone that would be against using...what is the human term? Human shields. Of course, any sentients might be suitable..."

Defense pounded the invisible table again. "Dammit! We can't worry about every little thing that might happen! This is a living world we're talking about! Billions of life-forms!"

"But we're also talking about Starfleet Officers," Justice said, "who we spend years training to resolve conflicts, not just kill the bad guys. And any Starfleet officer worth the name would want to save the the hostages and the planet if they could."

"But what if they can't? The Barb came in too fast for our normal safeguards to do anything. What if she sends all her captured ships back at once?? What if they all contain hostages? One hit would doom the planet! We can't afford to let that one ship through, for any reason!"

The President began to pace. "The Valkyries didn't stop the cutter at all. How could we be sure even a perimeter of starships could intercept starships on suicide missions?"

"They'd have the best chance if they were captained by sentients who won't hesitate," Defense reiterated.

"And it's unlikely you'll find any that won't," Justice replied. "Most of our veterans are tired of war, tired of killing. They'll all want to find another way."

"Then they'll waste time they won't have."

"What about Continuity?" Home asked. "That was the codename, right? Could we use that against this...April?"

Defense grunted. "The major systems have been fully integrated, but not tested."

The President was intrigued. "Could it be ready in three days?"

"I'll have to ask Admiral Janeway, but it is doubtful."

"Ask. And recall those search ships while you're at it and set up that perimeter. Their orders are to destroy any ship showing similar hostile intent without hesitation. I'm a Human Being too, Ladies and Gentlemen, and I'll not have some racist terrorist dictate who should live on my world and who shouldn't."

The others disappeared with a chorus of "Thank you, Madam President," leaving the President alone with her thoughts. She turned to look at the face of April.

We thought we were done with people like you. The last great gasp of human xenophobia was Terra Prime, active in the early days of Alpha Quadrant cooperation. It had mainly been through the efforts of human beings that Terra Prime had been defeated. Apparently, their cause had not been forgotten. April had decided to take it up.

The President balled her fists. You won't win. Not while I can do anything about it.

-Tom Clancy

Last edited by Admiral2; September 3 2009 at 08:13 PM.
Old September 3 2009, 02:10 AM   #23
tenmei
Fleet Captain

Oooh. Interesting. I'm wondering what exactly this Continuity is.
tenmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2009, 04:03 AM   #24
TheLoneRedshirt
Commodore

April is a classic genocidal psychopath in the mold of Stalin, Hitler and Pol Pot. It's amazing such people manage to attract such a loyal following.

The Earth government is certainly in a quandary. Giving in to April's demands isn't a viable option, yet she's already demonstrated she's capable (and willing) to carry out her threats.

And so we come to the "Continuity." A Jayson Bourne clone, perhaps? An android programmed with his personality and abilities? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old September 3 2009, 06:29 PM   #25
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

April is really screwed up. I wonder how she managed to get all those other officers to follow her?
Old September 3 2009, 08:30 PM   #26
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Count Zero wrote: View Post
April is really screwed up. I wonder how she managed to get all those other officers to follow her?
Pheromones and hypnotic sonic sub-tones in her genetically engineered voice. Or she offered them a cookie. Those are my guesses. Plus, I'm betting she's secretly a Romulan.

Seriously, this is a chilling and tension-filled story. I can't wait for more.

Last edited by Mistral; September 3 2009 at 08:48 PM. Reason: don't know how to spell serious as I rarely am
Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2009, 08:47 PM   #27
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Wow, Mistral, all of your guesses are close and still wrong.

April does have her recruiting methods. They'll become clear in time.

TLR: What kills me is, you're trying so hard to figure this out you'll probably get it in the next scene, even though that's not the scene I want to reveal it in. Relax. We're getting there.

-Tom Clancy
Old September 4 2009, 02:20 AM   #28
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

1423 HOURS
FEDERATION STARSHIP SUNDOWN
EARTH ORBIT

"I'll be on the next shuttle," Admiral Kathryn Janeway said. "I need to confer some more with the leaders of the project team, but I don't think we'll be able to launch in three days."

"Don't answer until you can give me a firm 'Yes' or 'no'," The Defense Secretary grumped. "It will take me at least five days to build up the type of defensive task force we'd need to combat this woman's suicide ships, so I need to know. If it can be ready, ready it! If not, let's not waste time grasping at straws!"

"Yes, Sir," Janeway said, nodding at the desk computer screen. "Anything else?" Would you like me to rob the Ferenginar Treasury while I'm at it?

"Hopefully that will be enough. Get back to me as soon as you can, Admiral."

"Aye, Sir," Janeway said. The screen reverted to the Federation emblem a split-second later, and Janeway took a moment to rub her eyes, sigh and take a swig of coffee before she set up the next conference call. She entered some commands into the computer and waited. Soon a split screen came, showing a man on half the display and a woman on the other. The man was handsome, square-jawed and had steely eyes to go with his dark hair. The woman was attractive with a tousle of red hair that matched the color of her lips. Both were around Janeway's age, but the woman was closer to it. The man wore the uniform and pips of a Starfleet Captain, his collar an Engineer's gold. The woman wore civilian clothes under a gold lab coat.

"Good to see you, Admiral," the man, Captain Roderick Post, said.

"It's good to be seen," Janeway said with a smile.

"Where ya'll callin' from?" Dr. Edwina Bush asked, her Tennessee drawl prominent as ever.

"The Sundown," Janeway said, "Earth orbit. I was one of the first people picked up, and I've been helping to coordinate things up here." She had actually been on leave when the Barb hit, in an area threatened with terrible flooding. She'd been in civilian clothes at the time, absently thankful that she had changed her mind about the moonlight stroll on the beach beforehand. "Picked the wrong week to visit Monaco, I suppose..."

"What's the situation?" Post asked.

"Secretary Kurhk is trying to set up a task force to protect Earth, but it will take time. We're dealing with a Human Supremacist that calls herself 'April'."

"April?" Dr. Bush said. "Just 'April'?"

"I'm sure the people in Intelligence will analyze that to death. Our main concern is that April has given us a deadline. Three days. Kuhrk thinks that's not enough time to mount a proper defense."

Post frowned. he could see where this was going. "He asked about Project Continuity."

On hearing that, Dr. Bush beamed. "He did? Outstanding! I hope you told him she's ready to go, Admiral!"

Janeway lowered her head for a moment and rubbed her eyes. Dr. Bush's un-infectious enthusiasm for her pet project had been the bane of Janeway's existence ever since the scientist had joined the Advanced Starship Design Bureau. "I told him I had to confer with you two and see for myself..."

"Admiral!" Bush said, sounding exasperated. "She's done! We have the tools and we have the talent! We could have gone out and met the damn cutter at the Asteroid Belt if you'd let us!"

"With half a crew and no real captain? Are you serious? No sane person would have authorized that."

"Well, what the hell is Cap'n Post? Chopped liver??"

"An engineer," Post answered for himself, "and not one with combat command training."

"But you've been in on this from the beginning! You know the systems as well as I do!"

"Knowing them from an engineering standpoint and using them in combat are two different things. You need a warrior for a captain, especially in this instance."

"The Defense Secretary apparently agrees with you, Rod," Janeway said, "and he's managed to convince the President. If we're going to deploy Continuity, we have to deploy her with a captain willing to shoot first and ask questions later. You certainly don't fit that bill."

"Well, there's gotta be somebody that does!" Dr. Bush protested. "How about Jellico?"

Janeway rolled her eyes, so Post answered. "Captain Jellico's last words before he retired were, I quote: "I'm never working for you ungrateful bastards again! Get someone else to save the Federation!" He's retired to planet that we can't even reach in three days, so he's not an option."

"So, what," Bush said, "There's nobody in Starfleet like Jellico?"

"Hasn't been for years," Post said, then he thought. "Then again, I do know another retiree like him that would be quicker to reach..."

"Would he help us 'ungrateful bastards'?" Janeway asked.

"It would definitely take some convincing..."

"Get on it. If you can convince him, can you get him here before the deadline?"

"Yes, I can."

"If Captain Post gets his man, Doctor, Continuity deploys."

Dr. Bush pumped her fist and grinned. "Y-Yes-s!"

-Tom Clancy
Old September 5 2009, 04:26 AM   #29
CeJay
Commodore

April is a one scary xenophobe ... but then, most of them usually are, if for nothing more than their extreme viewpoints. And this one actually has the means to carry them out.

I like this story for its fast pace which promises a lot of action and plenty of fun. Can't wait to see where it all leads.

Now with a complete United Trek story archive.
CeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2009, 08:16 PM   #30
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

1907 HOURS
KBO MAKEMAKE
KUIPER BELT

"Why in the hell would anybody want to live out here?" Dr. Bush wondered aloud.

She was sitting in the co-pilot's seat of the runabout she and Captain Post had taken from Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards, watching in awe as the ship approached the Kuiper Belt Object MakeMake, one of the largest icy bodies in this region of the Solar System. It seemed dead by comparison to other inhabited worlds, its gray-white surface obscured mostly by shadow given its distance from the sun.

Captain Post, piloting the runabout, said, "When I asked him that, he told me that these were the only kinds of places within the Federation where men could at least pretend to be independent."

"Known him long?" Bush asked.

"He was my best friend before he left the service," Post said. "I like to think he still is. It's just...well, he's not a big fan of how Starfleet and the Federation do things."

Bush smiled. "Lemme guess: Maquis Sympathizer or Dominion War veteran."

Now Post smiled. "Maquis Sympathizer, yes, but he never made it to the Dominion War. His last battle was Wolf 359."

Bush's smile disappeared. "Oh."

"He was one of the people lucky enough to survive our first full-scale battle with the Borg. When it was over, I guess he didn't have much to do in his life pod but think, and by the time he was rescued he'd decided he couldn't serve the Federation anymore, for a variety of reasons. I'm sure you'll hear them all before we're done. He likes to talk."

Bush shrugged. "Nothin' wrong with talkin'. Gets stuff nice and out in the open."

Post frowned. "That may not always be a good thing."

They continued on in silence until Post brought the runabout on final approach. As they descended on the minor planet their destination came into view. It looked like a military outpost. "How many people live here?"

"Just Bob and his wife," Post said.

"By themselves?!" Bush said, aghast. "That place looks big enough for a small starbase!"

"That's what it was about a century and a half ago. It was originally built back when humans were first starting to colonize the system. The idea was to work out the feasibilty of colonizing bodies like Pluto. The powers that be back then concluded that it was possible but not practical, so this place was abandoned. It's been reopened a few times since then, and upgraded each time, but hadn't had a real permanent presence until Bob convinced Bureau of Installations to let him stay there as caretaker. Anyway, they don't use the whole facility. They keep to the base commander's quarters while he keeps the lights running. I think he finally got a holodeck installed last year."

"So they live in an abandoned base by themselves and he's the caretaker," Bush confirmed. When Post nodded, she asked, "And you're sure no kids?"

"Positive. Why?"

Bush chuckled. "I don't want us to go in there and find some rugrat ridin' a Big Wheel up and down the halls and goin' 'Redrum! Redrum!'"

Post looked at her like she was insane. "What...?"

Bush sighed. "It's too bad nobody in this fleet knows anything about the really fun popular culture from back in the day," she muttered.

Post shook his head as he settled the runabout on the station's landing pad.

-Tom Clancy