RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,671
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 512
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old September 30 2009, 04:35 PM   #346
Cryogenic
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Moments that really made you cringe or disliked

number6 wrote: View Post
Cryogenic wrote: View Post
^^What does any of that mean??
It means I can ignore you from now on.
Saves me the trouble of wasting my time on trying to have a discussion with you.
Ditto.
Old September 30 2009, 04:36 PM   #347
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

Saves me the trouble of wasting my time on trying to have a discussion with you.
Ditto.
Ditto?? Is that all you've got??
Old September 30 2009, 04:38 PM   #348
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

^^What does any of that mean??

EDIT: Oh, I see. You decided to revise your post and add something beyond the above. Why didn't you do this initially?
I decided to flesh out my thoughts.. Is Jarod the only one allowed to do that?? At least I never accused you of ignoring my post.
Old September 30 2009, 04:41 PM   #349
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Closing for review.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
Old October 1 2009, 04:38 AM   #350
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
This thread is a trainwreck, but I can't look away.
I have a solution: delete or relocate this non-related discussion between Shazam, number6 and myself, and the thread can go on.
It's a little late for that, don't you think? That would have been the thing to do before your flame here, clearly aimed at number6:

Yeah, those guys saying "Why don't you do it better" are idiots, unless they give away the actual money to be able to do it better. I'm sure there are many guys around here who would have been able to write a much better script (either from scratch, or as a revision of the Orci draft), and many who would have been able to direct a far superior movie with that budget.
for which you will receive a warning. Comments to PM.

This, also, is no good:

trevanian wrote: View Post
Yeah, those guys saying "Why don't you do it better" are idiots, unless they give away the actual money to be able to do it better. I'm sure there are many guys around here who would have been able to write a much better script (either from scratch, or as a revision of the Orci draft), and many who would have been able to direct a far superior movie with that budget.

Insults aside..

I think my point here is that many fans here think they could write a script, or direct a movie, but the fact is that instead of doing something brilliant, they're simply here bitching about it. They didn't get the gig, nor do they really deserve it, and they want to use teh intrawebs as their bully pulpit to tell everyone else how it all should have been done. I don't think any one of these "armchair" hotshots would last a day on a film set, otherwise we would have heard about their exploits in Variety by now.

That's a lot of crap, and you're much more the fool than I ever thought if you don't realize it deep down. Plenty of people don't 'make it' or 'catch on' regardless of talent. It could be money, it could be leaving town or the industry to take care of a sick relative (Robin Curtis springs to mind) ... hell, I remember John Carpenter mentioning often in articles that the best filmmaker he ever knew couldn't ever break in. (and no, numbthoughts, that isn't namedropping as you put it, that is INFORMATION ... you know, 'we want information.')

But the difference is that I did try for more than 15 years, while holding down fulltime work and taking care of other people. And I still work on the non-spendy (i.e. spec writing) end when time allows. So I don't have anything to prove to myself in this regard, and in terms of proving anything to you ... get real, bub. You want something of mine other than what you see here, you pay for it. And if you don't like what you see here, there's some kind of ignore function, isn't there?
There's nothing wrong with the balance of your post following (with the possible exception of the last sentence) but, no matter how you slice it, in the passage I've underlined you're calling him a fool, when you could easily have stopped short at simply telling him you think he's in error. That part's flaming, and gets a warning. Comments to PM.

You were doing a better job with all that "industropunk" stuff.

Did you just make that up?
Yes. Are neologisms illegal?
They are not. I quite like those, in fact, and thought the thread might finally be getting back on track.

Alas, no -- only a few posts later, we're down to sniping about who can ignore whom. It's unfortunate, as there has been some very interesting discussion mixed in amongst the other business, and the "industropunk" angle might be the subject of its own thread, but I think this one's gone past its sell-by date and will remain closed.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
Closed Thread