Star Trek 3 Villain?
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Montgomery Comic Book Signing
By: T'Bonz on Mar 24

Mulgrew To Receive Award

Takei On StarTalk

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old August 21 2009, 11:26 PM   #1
Lookingglassman
Admiral

Recommend some great space navy novels.

I love the Honor Harrington series and I also have bought, but not yet read the books in The Lost Fleet series. Are there any more series of books that deal with space navies in the same vein as the two aboved mentioned series? Thanks!
Lookingglassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2009, 11:53 PM   #2
Hyperspace05
Commodore

Re: Recommend some great space navy novels.

I have not read that series... It sounds like you are fishing for something more specific than a space opera novels involving fleet battles. Can you be more specific?
Hyperspace05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2009, 11:58 PM   #3
Rii
Rear Admiral

The Mote In God's Eye by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. The crux of the novel concerns mankind's first contact with an alien species, but it incidentally includes more "space navy" stuff than you can shake a stick at, so long as raging battles aren't required to garner that appellation.
Rii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2009, 12:44 AM   #4
Lonemagpie
Writer

Rii wrote: View Post
The Mote In God's Eye by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. The crux of the novel concerns mankind's first contact with an alien species, but it incidentally includes more "space navy" stuff than you can shake a stick at, so long as raging battles aren't required to garner that appellation.
Seconded, by a long way. One of my top five SF novels ever.

But avoid the sequel, as it's rubbish.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2009, 02:46 AM   #5
trevanian
Rear Admiral

PASSAGE AT ARMS by Glen Cook -- this is the real deal!

and, for psychological complexity to make BEDFORD INCIDENT look like a juvenile,
David Gerrold's YESTERDAY'S CHILDREN (the second version, with the Diane Duane intro, not the really skinny one first published as YESTERDAY'S CHILDREN, and not the VOYAGE OF THE STAR WOLF, which is a really totally different, somewhat inferior thing. )

EDIT ADDON: Nevermind, not series books. These are standalones.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2009, 02:48 AM   #6
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Rii wrote: View Post
Seconded, by a long way. One of my top five SF novels ever.

But avoid the sequel, as it's rubbish.
You're WAY too kind. The sequel is a still-steaming dump on top of the rubbish pile. The last 30 years of Niven have all been Blue Mondays IMO.
Old August 22 2009, 03:02 AM   #7
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Try David Feintuch's Nick Seafort series. It begins with Midshipman's Hope.

A. Bertram Chandler wrote some very good space navy fiction as well about a character named John Grimes.
Allyn Gibson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2009, 10:56 AM   #8
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Try David Feintuch's Nick Seafort series. It begins with Midshipman's Hope.
Hope he doesn't speak Yiddish, his name would have an unusual meaning then. I might look into that.

How good is the Honor Harrington series?

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2009, 12:31 PM   #9
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Hope he doesn't speak Yiddish, his name would have an unusual meaning then. I might look into that.
No, Seafort is, as I remember it, an Irish Catholic. (Though, in Seafort's future, Catholicism has seriously mutated, taking on some of the most stringent doctrines of Calvinism.)
Old August 22 2009, 12:43 PM   #10
Mistral
Vice Admiral

The Shiva Option(And associated novels)

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2009, 01:42 PM   #11
Lookingglassman
Admiral

Hi, Thanks for all the info! I am going to Amazon to check out the books you wrote about. The Honor Harrington series is pretty good. I thought it would be boring, but it grabs your attention and keeps it there throughout. Some novels are better than others, but I still liked them all.
Lookingglassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2009, 01:44 PM   #12
Lonemagpie
Writer

A. Bertram Chandler wrote some very good space navy fiction as well about a character named John Grimes.
Woah, that's a name I haven't heard in so long that I'd actually forgotten it entirely until I saw it there....

I'm having a freaky "there is a hole in your mind" moment...

I think the last time I saw one of A Bertram Chandler's books was in my high school library...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2009, 02:03 PM   #13
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Woah, that's a name I haven't heard in so long that I'd actually forgotten it entirely until I saw it there....

I'm having a freaky "there is a hole in your mind" moment...

I think the last time I saw one of A Bertram Chandler's books was in my high school library...
I'm feelin' my age with that one too ... I remember that there were a bunch of these issues as 'double novels in one book' but that the chronology was ALL over the place, so it was hard to figure a sequence of which went before what. I think I gave up on the series because I could only find a certain percentage of them, very few new, most used, at San Jose's Recycled Books and Twice Read Books.
Old August 22 2009, 02:18 PM   #14
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

The Science Fiction Book Club put the whole of Chandler's Grimes series together chronologically in six hardcover volumes about five years ago. Stupidly, I didn't get the whole set before the books went out of print and the SFBC went belly up; I only have the first three.
Old August 22 2009, 03:34 PM   #15
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

trevanian wrote: View Post
and, for psychological complexity to make BEDFORD INCIDENT look like a juvenile,
David Gerrold's YESTERDAY'S CHILDREN (the second version, with the Diane Duane intro, not the really skinny one first published as YESTERDAY'S CHILDREN, and not the VOYAGE OF THE STAR WOLF, which is a really totally different, somewhat inferior thing. )
The updated version of Yesterday's Children is usually published under the title Starhunt these days. Or at least my copy is. I'm not so sure about the additions (you can tell Gerrold wrote them years later, as tone and style suddenly just shift), but they do give you an actually complete story.

I quite like the Star Wolf books; they're well worth seeking out: The Voyage of the Star Wolf, The Middle of Nowhere, and Blood and Fire. I don't really like the big chronological gap between two and three, but the first one especially is fantastic.

Surely the original space navy novels are the Lensman books? You can't really get more fun than that.