Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old August 22 2009, 05:41 PM   #1
20tauri
Cadet

A very special petition regarding the STXI sequel!

Hi all,

As a fellow Star Trek fan and also a science buff, I have recently led the charge to try to get planetary scientist Carolyn Porco a cameo appearance in the sequel to the 2009 film. Carolyn was asked by JJ Abrams to be a science consultant on the 2009 film (which she was); you can read more about the collaboration and her contributions to the film in the discussion here: http://ciclops.org/view_event.php?id=109 Many of the people who follow Carolyn's work with NASA, however, think that in the next film, she should not only advise Abrams about actual space science but she should be allowed a small cameo role on screen. A bunch of us started a petition this week:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/dr-...tar-trek-cameo

So far it has been signed by the likes of some pretty cool people, including Ann Druyan, widow of the late Carl Sagan, and cognitive scientist and popular science writer Steven Pinker. But we're trying to get to 10,000 signers, so please help us out: sign and spread the word! It would be a great nod to real scientists and space explorers if we could *make it so*...

Thanks, 20tauri
20tauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2009, 05:50 PM   #2
Kpnuts
Commodore

Re: A very special petition regarding the STXI sequel!

Isn't it up to JJ to decide and invite her to be in the film...?

Rather than some meaningless petition talking about how she "deserves" to be in the film, that the producers et al won't exactly look to kindly on? Why should they feel forced to include someone. If she does a good job, let her ask JJ, if he says yes, great, if not, oh well.
Kpnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2009, 05:59 PM   #3
20tauri
Cadet

Well, obviously it is up to Abrams, but we are hoping to sway his opinion on the matter
Old August 22 2009, 06:01 PM   #4
22 Stars
Commodore

Is a petition really needed for this? I'm sure they are closely-enough affiliated to make this happen without one?
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2009, 06:11 PM   #5
20tauri
Cadet

Hard for me to say! All I know is that we thought this would be a fun way to drum up support for the idea.
Old August 22 2009, 06:50 PM   #6
Larraby
Lieutenant

20tauri wrote: View Post
Hi all,

As a fellow Star Trek fan and also a science buff, I have recently led the charge to try to get planetary scientist Carolyn Porco a cameo appearance in the sequel to the 2009 film. Carolyn was asked by JJ Abrams to be a science consultant on the 2009 film (which she was); you can read more about the collaboration and her contributions to the film in the discussion here: http://ciclops.org/view_event.php?id=109 Many of the people who follow Carolyn's work with NASA, however, think that in the next film, she should not only advise Abrams about actual space science but she should be allowed a small cameo role on screen. A bunch of us started a petition this week:

So far it has been signed by the likes of some pretty cool people, including Ann Druyan, widow of the late Carl Sagan, and cognitive scientist and popular science writer Steven Pinker. But we're trying to get to 10,000 signers, so please help us out: sign and spread the word! It would be a great nod to real scientists and space explorers if we could *make it so*...

Thanks, 20tauri
Instead of being concerned about whether this person makes a cameo appearance in the sequel, it's more important that we get an original, decent storyline, instead of the nonsense that we got in this movie.
Larraby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2009, 06:55 PM   #7
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Carolyn was asked by JJ Abrams to be a science consultant on the 2009 film (which she was)
Worst science consultant ever. Or Abram's just didn't pay any attention.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2009, 07:05 PM   #8
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

She's on the staff and can likely breeze through with such a role if she put herself forward... I don't see the need for this action.

Petitions are for causes that aren't likely to meet with success because TPTB continually stonewall and don't do the right thing...

Abrams on the otherhand seems like a caring kind of guy, based on who he gave cameos to the last time.

Last edited by ChristopherPike; August 22 2009 at 08:17 PM.
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2009, 07:50 PM   #9
EnsignRicky
Commodore

If she wants to be in it, she can just go ask Abrams herself. Besides, if you think about it, walking into his office armed with an online petition would more than likely just make her look like a freak.
Old August 22 2009, 08:02 PM   #10
Kpnuts
Commodore

EnsignRicky wrote: View Post
If she wants to be in it, she can just go ask Abrams herself. Besides, if you think about it, walking into his office armed with an online petition would more than likely just make her look like a freak.
Exactly.

Another pointless, and in this case rather silly, online petition.
Kpnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2009, 08:10 PM   #11
KingstonTrekker
Commander

Kpnuts wrote: View Post
EnsignRicky wrote: View Post
Exactly.

Another pointless, and in this case rather silly, online petition.
Agreed.
KingstonTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2009, 08:25 PM   #12
iguana_tonante
Admiral

I don't care if this would work or not, but I always show support to fellow scientist, especially someone as cool as Carolyn Porco.
Old August 23 2009, 03:27 AM   #13
LeahBoBo
Commander

Location: Dancing the Viennese Waltz on moonbeams with Legolas

Larraby wrote: View Post
Hi all,

Thanks, 20tauri
Instead of being concerned about whether this person makes a cameo appearance in the sequel, it's more important that we get an original, decent storyline, instead of he nonsense that we got in this movie.
Although I disagree with you whole heartedly about the content of this movie--which I found neither nonsensical or ridiculous--I do agree with you about this petition thing. This is the sort of stuff that fandom does that makes me cringe. I don't want to influence any of the creative processes and I don't want those in charge pandering to any one segment of the audience. Why does this person need to have a cameo in a movie? She's a scientist, right? Sure it would be cute or whatever. But it's not necessary. And in my case, not wanted.
LeahBoBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2009, 05:01 PM   #14
The Keeper
Commodore

[sarcasm]I am waiting for the "reset the timeline" petition.[/sarcasm]

Check out hit crime drama series on FX: The Bridge.
The Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2009, 06:11 PM   #15
Lonemagpie
Writer

If she was a science adviser on the movie, isn't it pretty likely that she was already invited to appear in a walk-on role? In which case maybe she simply declined?

Has anyone asked her?

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote