RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,776
Posts: 5,434,388
Members: 24,840
Currently online: 522
Newest member: Reece101

TrekToday headlines

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

German Volkswagen Campaign Features Trek Actors
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Shatner And Nimoy In Trek 3?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

The Art of John Alvin Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Episode Four of The Red Shirt Diaries
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Star Trek: The Compendium Review
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 22 2009, 05:41 PM   #1
20tauri
Cadet
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY
A very special petition regarding the STXI sequel!

Hi all,

As a fellow Star Trek fan and also a science buff, I have recently led the charge to try to get planetary scientist Carolyn Porco a cameo appearance in the sequel to the 2009 film. Carolyn was asked by JJ Abrams to be a science consultant on the 2009 film (which she was); you can read more about the collaboration and her contributions to the film in the discussion here: http://ciclops.org/view_event.php?id=109 Many of the people who follow Carolyn's work with NASA, however, think that in the next film, she should not only advise Abrams about actual space science but she should be allowed a small cameo role on screen. A bunch of us started a petition this week:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/dr-...tar-trek-cameo

So far it has been signed by the likes of some pretty cool people, including Ann Druyan, widow of the late Carl Sagan, and cognitive scientist and popular science writer Steven Pinker. But we're trying to get to 10,000 signers, so please help us out: sign and spread the word! It would be a great nod to real scientists and space explorers if we could *make it so*...

Thanks, 20tauri
20tauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2009, 05:50 PM   #2
Kpnuts
Commodore
 
Kpnuts's Avatar
 
Location: London
Re: A very special petition regarding the STXI sequel!

Isn't it up to JJ to decide and invite her to be in the film...?

Rather than some meaningless petition talking about how she "deserves" to be in the film, that the producers et al won't exactly look to kindly on? Why should they feel forced to include someone. If she does a good job, let her ask JJ, if he says yes, great, if not, oh well.
Kpnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2009, 05:59 PM   #3
20tauri
Cadet
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Re: A very special petition regarding the STXI sequel!

Well, obviously it is up to Abrams, but we are hoping to sway his opinion on the matter
20tauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2009, 06:01 PM   #4
22 Stars
Commodore
 
Re: A very special petition regarding the STXI sequel!

Is a petition really needed for this? I'm sure they are closely-enough affiliated to make this happen without one?
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2009, 06:11 PM   #5
20tauri
Cadet
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Re: A very special petition regarding the STXI sequel!

Hard for me to say! All I know is that we thought this would be a fun way to drum up support for the idea.
20tauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2009, 06:50 PM   #6
Larraby
Lieutenant
 
Larraby's Avatar
 
Re: A very special petition regarding the STXI sequel!

20tauri wrote: View Post
Hi all,

As a fellow Star Trek fan and also a science buff, I have recently led the charge to try to get planetary scientist Carolyn Porco a cameo appearance in the sequel to the 2009 film. Carolyn was asked by JJ Abrams to be a science consultant on the 2009 film (which she was); you can read more about the collaboration and her contributions to the film in the discussion here: http://ciclops.org/view_event.php?id=109 Many of the people who follow Carolyn's work with NASA, however, think that in the next film, she should not only advise Abrams about actual space science but she should be allowed a small cameo role on screen. A bunch of us started a petition this week:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/dr-...tar-trek-cameo

So far it has been signed by the likes of some pretty cool people, including Ann Druyan, widow of the late Carl Sagan, and cognitive scientist and popular science writer Steven Pinker. But we're trying to get to 10,000 signers, so please help us out: sign and spread the word! It would be a great nod to real scientists and space explorers if we could *make it so*...

Thanks, 20tauri
Instead of being concerned about whether this person makes a cameo appearance in the sequel, it's more important that we get an original, decent storyline, instead of the nonsense that we got in this movie.
Larraby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2009, 06:55 PM   #7
Shazam!
Rear Admiral
 
Shazam!'s Avatar
 
Re: A very special petition regarding the STXI sequel!

20tauri wrote: View Post
Carolyn was asked by JJ Abrams to be a science consultant on the 2009 film (which she was)
Worst science consultant ever. Or Abram's just didn't pay any attention.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2009, 07:05 PM   #8
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral
 
ChristopherPike's Avatar
 
Re: A very special petition regarding the STXI sequel!

She's on the staff and can likely breeze through with such a role if she put herself forward... I don't see the need for this action.

Petitions are for causes that aren't likely to meet with success because TPTB continually stonewall and don't do the right thing...

Abrams on the otherhand seems like a caring kind of guy, based on who he gave cameos to the last time.
__________________
STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE Season 5 on Netflix Facebook page

Last edited by ChristopherPike; August 22 2009 at 08:17 PM.
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2009, 07:50 PM   #9
EnsignRicky
Commodore
 
EnsignRicky's Avatar
 
Location: Somewhere Far Beyond
Re: A very special petition regarding the STXI sequel!

If she wants to be in it, she can just go ask Abrams herself. Besides, if you think about it, walking into his office armed with an online petition would more than likely just make her look like a freak.
__________________
Use Only As Directed
EnsignRicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2009, 08:02 PM   #10
Kpnuts
Commodore
 
Kpnuts's Avatar
 
Location: London
Re: A very special petition regarding the STXI sequel!

EnsignRicky wrote: View Post
If she wants to be in it, she can just go ask Abrams herself. Besides, if you think about it, walking into his office armed with an online petition would more than likely just make her look like a freak.
Exactly.

Another pointless, and in this case rather silly, online petition.
Kpnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2009, 08:10 PM   #11
KingstonTrekker
Commander
 
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Re: A very special petition regarding the STXI sequel!

Kpnuts wrote: View Post
EnsignRicky wrote: View Post
If she wants to be in it, she can just go ask Abrams herself. Besides, if you think about it, walking into his office armed with an online petition would more than likely just make her look like a freak.
Exactly.

Another pointless, and in this case rather silly, online petition.
Agreed.
KingstonTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2009, 08:25 PM   #12
iguana_tonante
Admiral
 
iguana_tonante's Avatar
 
Location: Italy, EU
Re: A very special petition regarding the STXI sequel!

I don't care if this would work or not, but I always show support to fellow scientist, especially someone as cool as Carolyn Porco.
__________________
Scientist. Gentleman. Teacher. Fighter. Lover. Father.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2009, 03:27 AM   #13
LeahBoBo
Commander
 
Location: Dancing the Viennese Waltz on moonbeams with Legolas
Re: A very special petition regarding the STXI sequel!

Larraby wrote: View Post
20tauri wrote: View Post
Hi all,

As a fellow Star Trek fan and also a science buff, I have recently led the charge to try to get planetary scientist Carolyn Porco a cameo appearance in the sequel to the 2009 film. Carolyn was asked by JJ Abrams to be a science consultant on the 2009 film (which she was); you can read more about the collaboration and her contributions to the film in the discussion here: http://ciclops.org/view_event.php?id=109 Many of the people who follow Carolyn's work with NASA, however, think that in the next film, she should not only advise Abrams about actual space science but she should be allowed a small cameo role on screen. A bunch of us started a petition this week:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/dr-...tar-trek-cameo

So far it has been signed by the likes of some pretty cool people, including Ann Druyan, widow of the late Carl Sagan, and cognitive scientist and popular science writer Steven Pinker. But we're trying to get to 10,000 signers, so please help us out: sign and spread the word! It would be a great nod to real scientists and space explorers if we could *make it so*...

Thanks, 20tauri
Instead of being concerned about whether this person makes a cameo appearance in the sequel, it's more important that we get an original, decent storyline, instead of he nonsense that we got in this movie.
Although I disagree with you whole heartedly about the content of this movie--which I found neither nonsensical or ridiculous--I do agree with you about this petition thing. This is the sort of stuff that fandom does that makes me cringe. I don't want to influence any of the creative processes and I don't want those in charge pandering to any one segment of the audience. Why does this person need to have a cameo in a movie? She's a scientist, right? Sure it would be cute or whatever. But it's not necessary. And in my case, not wanted.
LeahBoBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2009, 05:01 PM   #14
The Keeper
Commodore
 
The Keeper's Avatar
 
Location: Where reality ends and illusion begins
Re: A very special petition regarding the STXI sequel!

[sarcasm]I am waiting for the "reset the timeline" petition.[/sarcasm]
__________________
The Keeper

Check out hit crime drama series on FX: The Bridge.
The Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2009, 06:11 PM   #15
Lonemagpie
Writer
 
Lonemagpie's Avatar
 
Location: Yorkshire
Re: A very special petition regarding the STXI sequel!

If she was a science adviser on the movie, isn't it pretty likely that she was already invited to appear in a walk-on role? In which case maybe she simply declined?

Has anyone asked her?
__________________
"I got two modes with people- Bite, and Avoid"
Reading: Fall Of Cthulhu: The Fugue (Michael Nelson & JJ Dzialowski)

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
carolyn porco, j.j. abrams, star trek 2009, star trek xi, star trek xii

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.