Quinto TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Mar 26

Shatner Remembers Nimoy
By: T'Bonz on Mar 26

Star Trek Delta Coin Pouches
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Takei Museum Fundraiser In Progress
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old July 20 2009, 10:56 AM   #1
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
'A Game of Thrones' cast begins to roll in. Ned is cast!

Hollywood Reporter has the details.

Sean Bean has nabbed the lead in "Game of Thrones," HBO's adaptation of the George R.R. Martin fantasy-book series. Tom McCarthy is directing; David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, who wrote the screenplay, are executive producing.

Mark Addy is in final negotiations to also join the production. Kit Harrington, Jack Gleeson and Harry Lloyd also have come aboard.
Sean Bean is Ned? He has the stern fatherly thing down pat, but he is 50 and doesn't look much like the Ned in the books. He has the chops, so at least we know they're going for talent here. . .

Mark Addy i've never seen in anything, and he is far from what I would describe as 'imposing' or 'handsome' even without the fat. Some moderate concerns there. . . especially since Robert is supposed to be 6'6" and Addy isn't anywhere near that.

We have a Jon, but he is an unknown so here is to hoping he has the talent Benioff and Weiss claim he does.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2009, 02:18 PM   #2
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral

Re: 'A Game of Thrones' cast begins to roll in. Ned is cast!

I agree with you ob Bean to a degree. I see Ned Stark as having a more compassionate but waery look...but that's me.

I didn't check this Addy out, but it's not vitally important that he be 6' 6" tall I think.
Nardpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2009, 03:22 PM   #3
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

He needs to look like he could have been the greatest warrior (and lover) in the land just a decade earlier. Addy is of average height and looks, without any of the expected muscle under his middle-aged flab.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Old July 20 2009, 05:49 PM   #4
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Nardpuncher wrote: View Post
I see Ned Stark as having a more compassionate but waery look...but that's me.
I think Sean Bean could portray compassionate but weary very well, actually.

I've seen Addy in a few things. He's mostly a comedic actor from what I've seen. I think they'll be emphasizing Robert as a good time king who's gone to seed.

I'm generally not hung up on the cast being close matches for the descriptions from the book. In fact in some cases I hope the TV series (and hopefully it gets picked up as a series!) diverges from the book, particularly with Daenerys since silver hair and violet eyes may not look good on screen. The Lannisters, on the other hand, will hopefully have the blond cruel beauty that they have in the books.
Old July 20 2009, 06:00 PM   #5
Shurik
Fleet Captain

Well, you have to remember that ASOIAF world is a sort of a medieval world, with all the related hardships ... Eddard Stark is a veteran of at least two wars (the uprising against Targaryens and Greyjoy rebellion), he lives in the north and so on. He's around 35 in the book, I can definitely imagine him looking older than his years. And besides, Sean Bean looks younger than 50. Same about Robert Baratheon, who besides 2 wars spent his entire adult life drinking and visiting brothels.

I can't wait to see this adaptation.

Last edited by Shurik; July 20 2009 at 06:55 PM.
Shurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2009, 07:56 PM   #6
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Sean Bean as Eddard Stark, my favorite literary character, is a fantastic choice. I can't wait to see him on my television screen.
Old July 20 2009, 11:15 PM   #7
Skywalker
Admiral

Sean Bean is an excellent choice for Ned. Throw a beard on him and you won't even care that he's 10-15 years older than the character in the book.

Mark Addy, huh? Interesting. I can certainly see him as Robert as of AGOT, but I can't really picture Addy as a young, powerful, imposing warrior-king. Oh well, I'm sure he'll do fine.

I'm really curious to see who they'll cast as Cersei.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2009, 12:10 AM   #8
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Skywalker wrote: View Post
I'm really curious to see who they'll cast as Cersei.
Whoever it is needs to be hot and erotic because I always got this sensuously evil vibe from Cersei.
Old July 21 2009, 12:18 AM   #9
Caliburn24
Commodore

I saw some rumor about Tricia Helfer from BSG as Cersei. But it is just a rumor.
Caliburn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2009, 01:38 AM   #10
Skywalker
Admiral

I hope it stays that way. Helfer isn't nearly voluptuous enough.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2009, 01:55 AM   #11
Peter the Younger
Commodore

Skywalker wrote: View Post
I hope it stays that way. Helfer isn't nearly voluptuous enough.
You know the old Roman saying, "Fortune favors the bold?" Well in Hollywood they have another saying: "Marketing favors the skinny." Whomever they cast as Cersei, I'll lay odds she will be model-thin.

Venardhi wrote:
Sean Bean is Ned? He has the stern fatherly thing down pat, but he is 50 and doesn't look much like the Ned in the books. He has the chops, so at least we know they're going for talent here. . .
I can't help but wonder if they are upping the ages of all the adult characters a little bit, and I have a personal theory as to why. Note that Peter Dinklage has also joined the cast; barring something utterly unexpected, that means we've got our Tyrion. Now if we follow the strict text of the books, Dinklage is probably a few years too old for the part, but come on, the guy is just too good of an actor to pass up. He stands a better chance of pulling off that part than any person of small stature working today.

Now if only Martin can finish the books before the bloody series catches up to him...

Peter the Younger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2009, 02:42 AM   #12
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

They are upping the ages of many of the characters. Aside from the fact that you can't portray characters as young as some of the ones in the books involved in such violent and sexual behavior in a TV series, even one airing on HBO, there's also the practical consideration of child labor laws.
Old July 21 2009, 02:49 AM   #13
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Actually the younger children are all staying pretty close to their book ages. Dany is now 16ish, and Robb and Jon are 17ish so expect the other kids to all get about 2-3 years older.

Based on the cast so far, the adults are all being aged up about 15 years, which means that they were the age of the characters in the books when they were in the war. It is a bit miff-ing, but forgivable as long as they're consistent with the timeline. Sandor and some of the other younger adults need to stay in their 20s though IMO, and Cersei and Jaime should probably stay in their 30s if they can convincingly make Dinklage appear younger than them.

It still raises a few questions though, such as why was the heir to Storms End still a bachelor at 35?
Old July 21 2009, 02:49 AM   #14
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

That's a seriously scruffy pix of Bean!
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2009, 03:26 AM   #15
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Venardhi wrote: View Post
Actually the younger children are all staying pretty close to their book ages. Dany is now 16ish, and Robb and Jon are 17ish so expect the other kids to all get about 2-3 years older.
Two to three years is quite a bit when you're talking about teenagers, though. The difference two to three years makes in the life of a teenager is much more marked than in later life. Making the characters that much older allows them to potentially cast actors who are, say, 18 or 19, so that they can perform some of the more mature scenes and not have to worry about child labor laws.