Ortiz Art Mugs
By: T'Bonz on Jan 28

Ingham Passes
By: T'Bonz on Jan 28

Star Trek Online Celebrates Five Years
By: T'Bonz on Jan 27

WizKids/Star Trek Online Caption Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jan 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old August 23 2009, 07:16 PM   #1
Jax
Admiral

Mass Effect 2 - Carrying Over Saved Games Question

As am sure you all know ME2 will configure its ingame universe to your actions in the 1st game assuming you played it) so the consquences to any choices you made will seen in the sequel. Also of course how your character looks will be passed over and I would assume the class too but...

I heard that BIOWARE apparantly stated that the storyline will explain why your character will reset and not carry over any abilities or level he was at the end of MASS EFFECT 1. Has anyone else heard this ? and does this mean you can change class ?

I hope its true because I have played it twice (currently on 3rd playthrough) and am only really happy with my 1st universe choices but of course I am not level 60 in that one. Also being my 1st one I didn't know what to expect so my choices just make the game feel more natural. Do you like the idea of a reset ? and if you have played it more than once which of your saved games are you carrying over into Mass Effect 2 ?
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2009, 07:40 PM   #2
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

Re: Mass Effect 2 - Carrying Over Saved Games Question

The following will carry over:

1. Your romantic partner
2. If you let the council die
3. Who died during the huge explosion

Your level will not carry over.
Old August 23 2009, 10:01 PM   #3
Jax
Admiral

Trubinator wrote: View Post

1. Your romantic partner

And the little things like letting the Rachni live etc...I would love to hear what people did in their Mass Effect games ?

Personally I hooked up with Ashley, let Kaiden die and let the council due because I ordered my ships to attack Sovergien because I didn't want to risk it getting away, it was the greater risk.

Also other minor things, saved wrex, let Rachni live, didn't betray that old women who was that crime lord wen I took out her partner...can't remember other ones I know there was a few more choice moments in the game.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Old August 23 2009, 10:04 PM   #4
clint g
Admiral

Yep, the choices one made during ME1 is really going to make ME2 awesome.... assuming that they live up to their promises of course. That said, I was an evil son of a bitch in the game and went along the path of creating a new human military empire mwuahahaha. I cant wait to see how that turns out in ME2.
Old August 23 2009, 10:28 PM   #5
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

I have heard that they're considering letting the player change class on a carry over. I think there was a Bioware post on the ME2 forum to that effect.

Yep, here it is.

http://meforums.bioware.com/viewtopi...5605&forum=144

I haven't heard that they're going to explain Shep's skill loss. I hope that part's not true. I can't imagine an explanation that wouldn't seem contrived.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2009, 10:49 PM   #6
Yoda
Rear Admiral

I get the feeling that I overwrote the character I actually played how I wanted to play with another to grab some more achievements. Hopefully my original character is still in there somewhere. My main worry with this choices carry over stuff is that they probably have to minimize the effect of those choices to some extent. I mean, letting the council die or not seems like it would have huge implications on the game universe, enough to where I would think the second game would be completely different.

I get the feeling that they just write around having the council in the second game and you get some offhand communication from them that doesn't really affect the game if they're still around, while the rest of the plot goes off in some new direction with new characters.
Old August 23 2009, 11:06 PM   #7
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

They're also removing New Game+, so... I wonder if you can import the same character for two different playthroughs.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2009, 12:35 AM   #8
Jax
Admiral

I've heard about ME 2...

I love how we can all play this trilogy but come the end have a totally different experience.
Old August 24 2009, 01:15 AM   #9
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

Jax wrote: View Post
Trubinator wrote: View Post

1. Your romantic partner

And the little things like letting the Rachni live etc...I would love to hear what people did in their Mass Effect games ?

Personally I hooked up with Ashley, let Kaiden die and let the council due because I ordered my ships to attack Sovergien because I didn't want to risk it getting away, it was the greater risk.

Also other minor things, saved wrex, let Rachni live, didn't betray that old women who was that crime lord wen I took out her partner...can't remember other ones I know there was a few more choice moments in the game.
You played it just as I did then. A friend of mine told me the Rachni decision will be key to ME2, but I haven't confirmed this.
Old August 24 2009, 02:10 AM   #10
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

I've heard about ME 2...

I love how we can all play this trilogy but come the end have a totally different experience.
That's non-canon. Apparently, if you do that, you essentially just have to start over in ME3.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
Old August 24 2009, 05:01 AM   #11
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

firehawk12 wrote: View Post
I've heard about ME 2...

That's non-canon. Apparently, if you do that, you essentially just have to start over in ME3.
Where did you hear that?
Old August 24 2009, 05:38 AM   #12
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

I believe it was the Listen Up podcast during E3, because that's when the spoiler was first revealed... but I'm not quite sure.
I mean, it makes sense because then ME3 would require two different stories... but it's still disappointing.

Old August 25 2009, 04:32 PM   #13
Bluejay
Lieutenant

That's what I read about too. If your Shep happen to go that way, it will not be the same person built up from ME 1-2 in ME 3. I'm not planning to have that happen with mine though.

I've a few Sheps who made different decisions so it should be interesting to find out the different path branches.
"Did I ever tell you [Delenn] that you are very cute for a Minbari? Even you [Garibaldi] are cute, in an annoying sort of way. Everybody's cute! Everybody's cute! Even me. But in purple.. I'm stunning!" [collapses] - Londo
Bluejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2009, 07:44 PM   #14
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, although I'm sure they'll have an achievement for that path anyway, so I'll probably be doing it just... because.

What I'd like to know is how they handle the game if you just start at 2. I mean, what if you wanted your Shep to be a badass in 1 even if you never played it?
It would kind of suck if all the characters you met in 1 are set to a kind of "neutral" stance as a result.

Although, I guess it's not much of a problem for me since I have an evil save as well.

Old August 25 2009, 07:56 PM   #15
SilentP
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to SilentP

Well there is the possibility that when you start your game, there will be a questionaire of sorts that would help the game decide what kind of playthrough you may of ended up with if you had played the first one.

The questions would be less story specific, i.e 'Would you bring back a genocidal species', but more general philosophy based, like 'What lengths would you go to in making sure you obtained your objective' or 'How receptive are you to alien allies' etc.
SilentP is offline   Reply With Quote