TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old August 26 2009, 06:44 AM   #1
MIB
Rear Admiral

I need some calculus help.

After spending a good hour and a half on some homework there is still one lingering question that keeps thwarting my attempts to answer. (Or, more accurately, my answers aren't being accepted by the math study program I'm using.) If anyone can point me in the right direction with this one, I'd greatly appreciate it. The problem reads as follows:

Use the position function s(t) = –16t^2 + 750, which gives the height (in feet) of an object that has fallen for t seconds from a height of 750 feet. The velocity at time t = a seconds is given by the following.

Limit as t -> a
(S(a) - S(t)) / (a - t)

If a construction worker drops a wrench from a height of 750 feet, how fast will the wrench be falling after 3 seconds?
The hell of it is that the question after this one is very similar and I answered it just fine without resorting to asking for help.
Old August 26 2009, 07:25 AM   #2
Iasius
Rear Admiral

Re: I need some calculus help.

I'm not really sure what I can write here that isn't pretty much the answer already.

Velocity is the first derivative of position is what ...
The velocity at time t = a seconds is given by the following.

Limit as t -> a
(S(a) - S(t)) / (a - t)
... is saying.

Point being, I don't really understand your problem with this if you don't explain a bit.
Old August 26 2009, 07:49 AM   #3
think
Rear Admiral

View think's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to think Send a message via AIM to think Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to think Send a message via Yahoo to think

negative (nine times 16) 16X9=acceleration going to say 16X3=velocity just because LOL you need velocity right feet per sec not feet per sec squared

? Don't make me get the physics book for some formula I have intensionally forgotten.
Old August 26 2009, 07:53 AM   #4
Rocketman

It may be easier to understand if you try plugging in values for a and t that are both very close to three.
Old August 26 2009, 08:06 AM   #5
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Don't they teach equations such as "v = u + a.t" and the Metric system any more?

Anyway, plugging in the values gives s(3) = 606 ft, and so (606 - 750)/(3 - 0) = -48 ft/s is your answer. Just that v = 0 - 16.3 = -48 ft/s seems a lot more direct way of getting to it.

Might not stop your Polar Explorer crashing into Mars, 'though.
Asbo Zaprudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2009, 08:14 AM   #6
Iasius
Rear Admiral

Great Mambo Chicken wrote: View Post
Don't they teach equations such as "v = u + a.t" and the Metric system any more?

Anyway, plugging in the values gives s(3) = 606 ft, and so (606 - 750)/(3 - 0) = -48 ft/s is your answer. Just that v = 0 - 16.3 = -48 ft/s seems a lot more direct way of getting to it.

That's the average speed over the first three seconds, not the velocity after three seconds.

v(t) = ds(t) / dt = -32t

The velocity after three seconds is v(3) = -96.

Don't they teach s(t) = 1/2 * a * t² + v0 * t + h anymore?
Old August 26 2009, 08:37 AM   #7
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Lol. I won't be sending any probes to Mars.
Asbo Zaprudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2009, 03:22 PM   #8
MIB
Rear Admiral

I appreciate the help, guys. However, I was actually able to solve this one afterall. Which, in turn, underlined how important sleep is. I sat and stared at this problem for 30 minutes while I was dead tired (big mistake). Finally, I went to bed and after getting some sleep I was able to solve it with no problem within 30 seconds.

Again though, I do appreciate your help. The Mars probes no doubt appreciate it as well.
Old August 26 2009, 04:01 PM   #9
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

MIB wrote: View Post
I appreciate the help, guys. However, I was actually able to solve this one afterall. Which, in turn, underlined how important sleep is. I sat and stared at this problem for 30 minutes while I was dead tired (big mistake). Finally, I went to bed and after getting some sleep I was able to solve it with no problem within 30 seconds.

Again though, I do appreciate your help. The Mars probes no doubt appreciate it as well.
This is good advice for life in general. If something's stumping you, walk away from it for a while. Get something to eat. Get some rest. Do something fun. Do anything but think directly about the problem. You'd be surprised how often something just pops into your head and you realize you know what to do now.

I have a whole list of "oblique strategies" for this very purpose.
Solstice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2009, 06:55 PM   #10
trekkiedane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
This is good advice for life in general. If something's stumping you, walk away from it for a while. Get something to eat. Get some rest. Do something fun. Do anything but think directly about the problem. You'd be surprised how often something just pops into your head and you realize you know what to do now.
Indeed! I concur wholeheartedly! -very good advice
Old August 26 2009, 07:58 PM   #11
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Iasius wrote: View Post
Great Mambo Chicken wrote: View Post

That's the average speed over the first three seconds, not the velocity after three seconds.

v(t) = ds(t) / dt = -32t

The velocity after three seconds is v(3) = -96.

Don't they teach s(t) = 1/2 * a * t² + v0 * t + h anymore?
I agree with this solution.

s(t) = 1/2*at^2 + V0*t + h. In other words s(t)=h.

Velocity is the rate at which the position is changing. So, take the derivative with respect to time.

v(t) = ds/dt = at = -32t

Acceleration is the rate at which the velocity is changing. So if you ever have to find that, take the derivative of v(t).

a(t) = d^2s/dt^2 = dv/dt = a = -32 ft/s^2, which is the actual rate of acceleration at the Earth's surface.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote