RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 143,241
Members: 25,412
Currently online: 603
Newest member: MiguelD

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old March 2 2015, 10:10 PM   #1
Zippo and Flask
Lieutenant

Ridiculous dialog

Episode: The Chase
Participants: Capt. Picard to Dr. Crusher

"Doctor, program the computer to analyze the distribution pattern of the pieces we have, correcting for changes in star configurations over four billion years, then extrapolate for the missing piece."
Zippo and Flask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2015, 10:16 PM   #2
Melakon
Admiral

Re: Ridiculous dialog

That's why Patrick Stewart was paid the big bucks.
Old March 2 2015, 10:18 PM   #3
J. Allen
Remember... Remember.

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I don't know if it's too ridiculous. I mean, there's a simpler way to put it, but we can extrapolate changes in star patterns over billions of years, and even project that notion several billion years into the future. So we can do that even today. The delivery of that line is a bit clunky, though.
I've noticed that about your people, Doctor. You find it easier to understand the death of one than the death of a million. You speak about the objective hardness of the Vulcan heart, yet how little room there seems to be in yours. - Spock, The Immunity Syndrome

Leonard Nimoy: 1931 - 2015
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2015, 10:18 PM   #4
Green Shirt
Rear Admiral

Its technobabble. Its supposed to be confusing. Its just the writers way of having Picard tell Crusher to figure out the missing piece of the puzzle.
Old Yesterday, 03:21 AM   #5
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

Also from Picard:
"Klingon Imperial Empire."
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:19 AM   #6
Zippo and Flask
Lieutenant

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I don't know if it's too ridiculous. I mean, there's a simpler way to put it, but we can extrapolate changes in star patterns over billions of years, and even project that notion several billion years into the future. So we can do that even today. The delivery of that line is a bit clunky, though.
However, I think the task would be given to an astrophysicist, not a medical doctor.
Old Yesterday, 05:24 AM   #7
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

In all of Star Trek, you think the most ridiculous line of dialog is Picard telling the computer to connect the dots on a map?

Have you watched The Outrageous Okona?
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:59 AM   #8
J. Allen
Remember... Remember.

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Zippo and Flask wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
However, I think the task would be given to an astrophysicist, not a medical doctor.
Good point.
I've noticed that about your people, Doctor. You find it easier to understand the death of one than the death of a million. You speak about the objective hardness of the Vulcan heart, yet how little room there seems to be in yours. - Spock, The Immunity Syndrome

Leonard Nimoy: 1931 - 2015
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:59 AM   #9
Sidewinder
Lieutenant Junior Grade

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
In all of Star Trek, you think the most ridiculous line of dialog is Picard telling the computer to connect the dots on a map?

Hard to believe that the guy who played Okona was actually up for the role of Riker.
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM   #10
Sybok Was Wrong
Lieutenant

Zippo and Flask wrote: View Post
Episode: The Chase
Participants: Capt. Picard to Dr. Crusher

"Doctor, program the computer to analyze the distribution pattern of the pieces we have, correcting for changes in star configurations over four billion years, then extrapolate for the missing piece."
I've been tempted to start watching " Star Trek Voyager", but it's this kind of dialog I remember, whenever I caught "Voyager" during its run...

I seem to remember "technobabble" being even more at the forefront on that particular show. Is that the case?
Sybok Was Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:11 PM   #11
Count
Lieutenant Commander

pretty much everything from when Chakotay said "Damage Report!" all the way to Captain Janeway's final "Set a course... for home" is ridiculous dialogue.
Count is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM   #12
Forbin
Admiral

As Janeway and B'Nanna were trying to figure out what was wrong with the engines (or something like that - who cares?), they suddenly leapt up in the air in delight and shouted "War particles! WARP particles!" like two little girls discovering they both liked Bobby Sherman.

Not only a ridiculous line, but embarassing, and yet another addition to the "particle of the week" trend.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:48 PM   #13
Kevman7987
Captain

View Kevman7987's Twitter Profile

Sidewinder wrote: View Post

Hard to believe that the guy who played Okona was actually up for the role of Riker.
He was Disney's The Rocketeer too.
Old Yesterday, 03:50 PM   #14
kirkfan
Commodore

Forbin wrote: View Post
As Janeway and B'Nanna were trying to figure out what was wrong with the engines (or something like that - who cares?), they suddenly leapt up in the air in delight and shouted "War particles! WARP particles!" like two little girls discovering they both liked Bobby Sherman.

Not only a ridiculous line, but embarassing, and yet another addition to the "particle of the week" trend.
Or like when make up new elements as they go like: "Hey, it's not trilithium it's paralihtium, but that can me modified to make trilithium...

Or when they make up new ways of moving through space for the sake of one episode and never talk about this ever again!!

PARIS: Captain, it looks like that ship is being powered by a coaxial warp drive.
CHAKOTAY: Coaxial what?
PARIS: It's a hypothetical propulsion system. Starfleet engineers have been dreaming about it for years. In theory, it can literally fold the fabric of space allowing a ship to travel instantaneously across huge distances.
kirkfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM   #15
Zippo and Flask
Lieutenant

He didn't tell the computer to connect the dots, he told Dr. Crusher to do it.