Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 27 2009, 09:08 AM   #1
TV Lowdown
Ensign

View TV Lowdown's Twitter Profile
Summer Glau joining Dollhouse for at least 2 episodes

Very nice news to start the day with; Summer Glau has finally been confirmed for two episodes of Dollhouse. Obviously she's worked with Joss Whedon before on Angel, Firefly and Serenity and he's been keen to have her on Dollhouse for a while.

Here's the character details.
TV Lowdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2009, 09:27 AM   #2
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

Re: Summer Glau joining Dollhouse for at least 2 episodes

I liked her in Firefly, but I hope to God she doesn't play another passive-aggressive schitzo girl because she's done that in just about everything she's ever been in. I'm also looking forward to some Felicia Day action in season two, even though the show is borderline mediocre.
Old August 27 2009, 10:29 AM   #3
nx1701g
Admiral

^ If I recall correctly Whedon wanted her to play a chatterbox that was actually a nice person.

I'm still amazed that Whedon said in an interview that he felt the better Sci-Fi Friday program on Fox was cancelled.
Old August 27 2009, 10:50 AM   #4
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Cool, she's watchable in anything she does and it will be particularly good to see her re-united with Whedon and co.
Old August 27 2009, 01:46 PM   #5
Christopher
Writer

Trubinator wrote: View Post
I liked her in Firefly, but I hope to God she doesn't play another passive-aggressive schitzo girl because she's done that in just about everything she's ever been in.
I don't think you're using "passive-aggressive" quite right. Passive-aggressive means letting out your aggression at people indirectly by making veiled comments or ranting about them behind their backs or otherwise avoiding direct confrontation. When River or Cameron got aggressive, there was nothing passive or indirect about it.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2009, 01:53 PM   #6
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Christopher wrote: View Post
Trubinator wrote: View Post
I liked her in Firefly, but I hope to God she doesn't play another passive-aggressive schitzo girl because she's done that in just about everything she's ever been in.
I don't think you're using "passive-aggressive" quite right. Passive-aggressive means letting out your aggression at people indirectly by making veiled comments or ranting about them behind their backs or otherwise avoiding direct confrontation. When River or Cameron got aggressive, there was nothing passive or indirect about it.
Right.

Her characters are "Aggressive-Aggressive".

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2009, 04:43 PM   #7
Bad Bishop
Vice Admiral

nx1701g wrote: View Post
I'm still amazed that Whedon said in an interview that he felt the better Sci-Fi Friday program on Fox was cancelled.
Whedon was right. I watched both shows last season and I thought TSCC was better. Dollhouse might be too "high concept" for its own good. It will have trouble keeping casual viewers. It wouldn't surprise me if Season 2 turns out to be that last.
Old August 27 2009, 05:07 PM   #8
antichristhill
Fleet Admiral

^Agreed. Hubby was a fan of both shows and we were surprised when TSCC got canned but Dollhouse did not.

He will be VERY happy to hear that Summer will be one next season.
Old August 27 2009, 05:13 PM   #9
AntonyF
Administrator

View AntonyF's Twitter Profile

Let's face it, she's got the Glau Curse. The show will be canned now... although that was on the cards. I don't want it to be, as I worship at the altar of Tahmoh Penikett as is widely known. But let's face it.. it's gonna happen.
AntonyF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2009, 05:37 PM   #10
ManOnTheWave
Rear Admiral

Tasty.
Old August 27 2009, 05:50 PM   #11
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

auntiehill wrote: View Post
^Agreed. Hubby was a fan of both shows and we were surprised when TSCC got canned but Dollhouse did not.

He will be VERY happy to hear that Summer will be one next season.
I'm glad to see Summer will be around briefly as well.

I lost interest in TSCC so I'm not torn up over it going away. The movies were better and when the big bad Terminator can be avoided and beaten every week it dilutes the amount of terror you should feel when confronting one.

It getting canned was due to simply costing more to produce per episode. That was the straw that broke it.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2009, 06:19 PM   #12
antichristhill
Fleet Admiral

Yep. It's all about the budget.
Old August 27 2009, 06:26 PM   #13
23skidoo
Admiral

nx1701g wrote: View Post
I have to agree with him. Like most of Whedon's work, I just can't get into Dollhouse, despite liking the cast. If Summer comes on board I'll give the show a look, at least for her episodes.

This is probably the least surprising bit of news this week. Anyone who saw the Summer and Eliza promos Fox aired when they put Terminator and Dollhouse back to back could see they had great chemistry. Hopefully some of that will be reflected on Dollhouse.

Alex
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2009, 08:09 PM   #14
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

AntonyF wrote: View Post
Let's face it, she's got the Glau Curse. The show will be canned now... although that was on the cards. I don't want it to be, as I worship at the altar of Tahmoh Penikett as is widely known.
I met him at a convention a couple of years ago.

He is magnificent.

I'll be interested to see how Dollhouse does this year. I enjoyed the first season, maybe more than others did. I hope it succeeds.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2009, 08:31 PM   #15
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

I think Summer Glau is excellent. Really looking forward to her arrival. I have great hopes for season 2. Tahmoh needs to get his shirt off more though.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote