RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,795
Posts: 5,325,681
Members: 24,548
Currently online: 536
Newest member: wrestlefreak36

TrekToday headlines

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 9 2009, 10:41 PM   #1
All Seeing Eye
Admiral
 
Location: The Astral Light Realms
Pyramid Skyscraper To Orbit?

Skyscrapers are pretty high but they can only go so high before they become unstable and susceptible to the high winds and also there's the whole problem with lift shafts and pumping water around etc.

Now a pyramid building would be completely stable and would never topple over and with it designed like it is plenty of lift shaft could be fitted in to allow travelling to all levels.

For a pyramid building to be stable it has to be at a certain angle.
What angle would it be stable at? 45 degrees would be most stable I suppose but surely it could rise at a steeper angle and still remain stable?

Now for my ultimate question: If we were to build a pyramid so the tip of the Pyramid reached orbit (orbit being in this case the location where the Earths atmosphere borders the Vacuum of space which is 75 miles I think??) how steep could we have the pyramid and how much land area would it need to take up in order to have a pyramid at that angle and at that height?

Could a building of that magnitude be built with todays technology if resources money and manpower was not a problem?

What problems would a building of that magnitude have?
What benefits could be had with a building of that magnitude that reaches the border of the atmosphere?

I know this building would be insane and impossible but it's a genuine question i'd like to know the answer to.

Thanks to anyone who can help with information.

Now on a more realistic question. How high right now do you think we could build a pyramid shaped skyscraper?

Last edited by All Seeing Eye; August 9 2009 at 11:13 PM.
All Seeing Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2009, 11:07 PM   #2
chardman
Vice Admiral
 
chardman's Avatar
 
Location: The home of GenCon
View chardman's Twitter Profile
Re: Pyramid Skyscraper To Orbit?

Why don't you tell us O' Enlightened One?
__________________
If Ronald Reagan hadn't cut Mental Health funding to the bone, most of today's GOP & Tea Party candidates wouldn't be walking around loose.
chardman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2009, 11:09 PM   #3
All Seeing Eye
Admiral
 
Location: The Astral Light Realms
Re: Pyramid Skyscraper To Orbit?

chardman wrote: View Post
Why don't you tell us O' Enlightened One?
Excuse me?
All Seeing Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2009, 11:19 PM   #4
chardman
Vice Admiral
 
chardman's Avatar
 
Location: The home of GenCon
View chardman's Twitter Profile
Re: Pyramid Skyscraper To Orbit?

I'm referring to the epiphany you had wherein all things were made clear to you. For a brain as supercharged as yours, figuring the optimum angle and area of a 75 mile high pyramid should be child's play.
__________________
If Ronald Reagan hadn't cut Mental Health funding to the bone, most of today's GOP & Tea Party candidates wouldn't be walking around loose.
chardman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2009, 11:21 PM   #5
JB2005
Commodore
 
JB2005's Avatar
 
Location: England, UK
Re: Pyramid Skyscraper To Orbit?

well if you had a sky-scraper 75 miles high, you'd need a 5625 square mile base...assuming you were going to have it at a 45 degree angle...

it'd be doable but why would you want to?
__________________
Click here to see my failed attempt to write a children's story!
JB2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2009, 11:24 PM   #6
All Seeing Eye
Admiral
 
Location: The Astral Light Realms
Re: Pyramid Skyscraper To Orbit?

chardman wrote: View Post
I'm referring to the epiphany you had wherein all things were made clear to you. For a brain as supercharged as yours, figuring the optimum angle and area of a 75 mile high pyramid should be child's play.
Stop trolling my thread please.

JB2005 wrote: View Post
well if you had a sky-scraper 75 miles high, you'd need a 5625 square mile base...assuming you were going to have it at a 45 degree angle...
Well that's the thing, I think it could be done at a much smaller angle than 45 degrees and still be hugely stable allowing for an even smaller base.

JB2005 wrote: View Post
it'd be doable but why would you want to?
Just curious that's all. I'd also wonder what benefits it could bring to space exploration. Not only do we get a large building for habitation we get a possible platform that could be used for getting craft or satellites into low and high Earth orbit.

A corner of the Pyramid could be built solely as an accelerator to propel a craft 75 miles up.
All Seeing Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2009, 11:24 PM   #7
chardman
Vice Admiral
 
chardman's Avatar
 
Location: The home of GenCon
View chardman's Twitter Profile
Re: Pyramid Skyscraper To Orbit?

How many continents would we have to dismantle entirely simply to get enough material to build a 75 mile tall pyramid with a 5625 square mile base? Like all Tacky ideas, it's utterly insane to even consider.
__________________
If Ronald Reagan hadn't cut Mental Health funding to the bone, most of today's GOP & Tea Party candidates wouldn't be walking around loose.
chardman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2009, 11:27 PM   #8
JB2005
Commodore
 
JB2005's Avatar
 
Location: England, UK
Re: Pyramid Skyscraper To Orbit?

well purely because this actually sparked my interest, you'd need 140625 cubic miles of material if the entire thing was solid...
__________________
Click here to see my failed attempt to write a children's story!
JB2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2009, 11:27 PM   #9
spinnerlys
Commander
 
spinnerlys's Avatar
 
Location: in between
Re: Pyramid Skyscraper To Orbit?

One would need the base area of a country like Togo, just square, to build such giant building..

If you take the following graph as an example of how to calculate the base area
http://www.hyperflight.com/images/pyramid-pinch.gif

you get the following results:

h = b, as the triangle is isosceles (has two sides with the same length) when you assume a 45° angle.

As h=120km (your 75miles converted to metric), so b = 120km.

Pythagoras > a = 169km

To calculate the base area:
2*a*2*b = 240*240 = 57600 sqkm

Togo has 56,785 sqkm.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...ge_locator.gif

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...rge/to-map.gif


And those Flash adds kill my CPU. Fracking poor and stupid concoction.


EDIT: @ JB2005, have I calculated wrong?
__________________
photography.

Last edited by Jadzia; August 9 2009 at 11:31 PM. Reason: NO HOTLINKING
spinnerlys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2009, 11:28 PM   #10
All Seeing Eye
Admiral
 
Location: The Astral Light Realms
Re: Pyramid Skyscraper To Orbit?

chardman wrote: View Post
How many continents would we have to dismantle entirely simply to get enough material to build a 75 mile tall pyramid with a 5625 square mile base? Like all Tacky ideas, it's utterly insane to even consider.
As I said in my original post, if materials, manpower and money was not a problem. I also said even myself that it would be a crazy insane idea but I am simply curious as to the answer which is why I am asking the question.
All Seeing Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2009, 11:31 PM   #11
Brent
Admiral
 
Brent's Avatar
 
Location: TARDIS
Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent
Re: Pyramid Skyscraper To Orbit?

Personally, I like this idea about building a pyramid to space. Think of the potential here, they could use it to lift space parts, like satellites and other space needs into orbit quite easily. It would be a massively hybrid structure, think of the possibilities, hotel, resort, shopping, bio-dome type living, tourism and an elevator to space. There is potential in every sector here.
__________________
"Would you mind not standing on my chest? My hat's on fire." - The Doctor

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2009, 11:31 PM   #12
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Pyramid Skyscraper To Orbit?

Tachyon Shield wrote: View Post
Skyscrapers are pretty high but they can only go so high before they become unstable and susceptible to the high winds and also there's the whole problem with lift shafts and pumping water around etc.

Now a pyramid building would be completely stable and would never topple over and with it designed like it is plenty of lift shaft could be fitted in to allow travelling to all levels.

For a pyramid building to be stable it has to be at a certain angle.
What angle would it be stable at? 45 degrees would be most stable I suppose but surely it could rise at a steeper angle and still remain stable?

Now for my ultimate question: If we were to build a pyramid so the tip of the Pyramid reached orbit (orbit being in this case the location where the Earths atmosphere borders the Vacuum of space which is 75 miles I think??) how steep could we have the pyramid and how much land area would it need to take up in order to have a pyramid at that angle and at that height?

Could a building of that magnitude be built with todays technology if resources money and manpower was not a problem?

What problems would a building of that magnitude have?
What benefits could be had with a building of that magnitude that reaches the border of the atmosphere?

I know this building would be insane and impossible but it's a genuine question i'd like to know the answer to.

Thanks to anyone who can help with information.

Now on a more realistic question. How high right now do you think we could build a pyramid shaped skyscraper?
First of all, there's no magical "border" where you're either in earth or "in orbit." The atmosphere gets thinner and thinner as you go up until it's eventually nothing.
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2009, 11:32 PM   #13
JB2005
Commodore
 
JB2005's Avatar
 
Location: England, UK
Re: Pyramid Skyscraper To Orbit?

spinnerlys wrote: View Post
One would need the base area of a country like Togo, just square, to build such giant building..

If you take the following graph as an example of how to calculate the base area
http://www.hyperflight.com/images/pyramid-pinch.gif

you get the following results:

h = b, as the triangle is isosceles (has two sides with the same length) when you assume a 45° angle.

As h=120km (your 75miles converted to metric), so b = 120km.

Pythagoras > a = 169km

To calculate the base area:
2*a*2*b = 240*240 = 57600 sqkm

Togo has 56,785 sqkm.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...ge_locator.gif

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...rge/to-map.gif


And those Flash adds kill my CPU. Fracking poor and stupid concoction.


EDIT: @ JB2005, have I calculated wrong?
no it's probably me, maths was never my strong point.
__________________
Click here to see my failed attempt to write a children's story!

Last edited by Jadzia; August 9 2009 at 11:33 PM. Reason: quoted hotlinking
JB2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2009, 11:32 PM   #14
All Seeing Eye
Admiral
 
Location: The Astral Light Realms
Re: Pyramid Skyscraper To Orbit?

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post

First of all, there's no magical "border" where you're either in earth or "in orbit." The atmosphere gets thinner and thinner as you go up until it's eventually nothing.
OK thanks.
All Seeing Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2009, 11:33 PM   #15
Icemizer
Fleet Captain
 
Icemizer's Avatar
 
Re: Pyramid Skyscraper To Orbit?

Other problems to consider. The immense wight of the structure would need a solid foundation. How would the lifts handle the pressure changes as you approched space? What is the travel time of the lifts from base to top. Individual fire departments per floor nearer the base?
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.