RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,904
Posts: 5,477,670
Members: 25,051
Currently online: 505
Newest member: GrammaticalFict

TrekToday headlines

New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 17 2009, 02:47 AM   #46
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: Nero: "It happened! I saw it happen..."

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
I seem to remember that they made some fuzz about creating Romulan and Vulcan language for the movie. Where did that end up? Or did they mean they needed a consultant for Australian language?
The only thing I can recall in the movie which involved Vulcan and Romulan languages took place just after Kirk, McCoy and Uhura have barged onto the bridge to talk to Pike. The communications officer is listening to a transmission which he says sounds like Vulcan but can't understand. Uhura recognizes it as being Romulan (she's fluent in "all three dialects", remember?) and is ordered to take over the communications station and translate it. Perhaps they needed to "invent" some Romulan language for that?

Also, they mostly speak English in Australia (aboriginal languages and those spoken by recent immigrants aside, naturally.)
__________________
The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but
that the lightning ain't distributed right.
— Mark Twain
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2009, 02:51 AM   #47
Rackon
Commander
 
Location: Middle America, Sol 3
Re: Nero: "It happened! I saw it happen..."

trevanian wrote: View Post
foxmulder710 wrote: View Post
"...I watched it happen! Don't tell me it didn't happen!"

The overuse of the word "happen" in this sequence of dialogue makes me laugh like nothing else.

A friend of mine suggested that this was a pattern in the film, things being repeated in different ways for emphasis for the slow and stupid among the viewers...(cf. the sequence about the "alternate universe" between nuSpock etc. later).
.
Not having seen the movie, is there any chance that the repeating of the wording is supposed to convey a severe emotional state...
Yes, there is every chance that the rhythmic repetition was there on purpose to convey Nero's emotional state and his fixation on his revenge - Nero shouted the lines after Pike attempted to convince him that Romulus was still there. It's not over-use , it's alliterative. The original poster obviously should star away from David Mamet!! (Nero BTW doesn't cut the good captian any slack and doesn't explain he's talking about a future Romulus.)

I thought the dialogue in XI was actually pretty snappy, with almost no cringe worthy moments. In fact, it was rather touching in places.

George Lucas only wishes he could write lines this good.
Rackon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2009, 03:40 AM   #48
trevanian
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Nero: "It happened! I saw it happen..."

Rackon wrote: View Post
The original poster obviously should star away from David Mamet!!
You thinking GLENGARRY with Spacey's infinite variations on 'would you leave?'
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2009, 04:43 AM   #49
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul
 
Location: Fairfax, VA
Re: Nero: "It happened! I saw it happen..."

Devon wrote: View Post
"Timeline? This is no time to be arguing about time! We don't have the time!... what was I saying?"
"Time...line? Time is not made out of lines! Time is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!"
__________________
Lead Organizer for EVN: Firefly.
"So apparently the really smart zombies have automatic weapons!"
-Torg, Sluggy Freelance
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2009, 05:06 AM   #50
trevanian
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Nero: "It happened! I saw it happen..."

Lindley wrote: View Post
Devon wrote: View Post
"Timeline? This is no time to be arguing about time! We don't have the time!... what was I saying?"
"Time...line? Time is not made out of lines! Time is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!"
Or Mamet by Way of Coon via Freiberger, w/ a 90s twist:

Time and Time, what is Time?

time is the fire ...
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2009, 05:46 AM   #51
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Nero: "It happened! I saw it happen..."

There was at least one member of Nero's crew who spoke with a British accent, so I don't see why it would have been a problem for Bana to use his real Aussie one.

Heck, have we even heard one real Australian accent in the whole of Trek onscreen? (Don't anyone mention Lt. Kyle; John Winston is from England, not Australia. )
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2009, 10:10 AM   #52
Devon
Fleet Captain
 
Devon's Avatar
 
Re: Nero: "It happened! I saw it happen..."

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
I seem to remember that they made some fuzz about creating Romulan and Vulcan language for the movie. Where did that end up? Or did they mean they needed a consultant for Australian language?
The only thing I can recall in the movie which involved Vulcan and Romulan languages took place just after Kirk, McCoy and Uhura have barged onto the bridge to talk to Pike. The communications officer is listening to a transmission which he says sounds like Vulcan but can't understand. Uhura recognizes it as being Romulan (she's fluent in "all three dialects", remember?) and is ordered to take over the communications station and translate it. Perhaps they needed to "invent" some Romulan language for that?
Something I've meant to mention for a while... but we do hear Romulan dialect at the very beginning of the film when Robau is escorted on the bridge and we see the other Romulans at their stations. I noticed that in my third theatrical viewing!

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
There was at least one member of Nero's crew who spoke with a British accent, so I don't see why it would have been a problem for Bana to use his real Aussie one.

Heck, have we even heard one real Australian accent in the whole of Trek onscreen? (Don't anyone mention Lt. Kyle; John Winston is from England, not Australia. )
Apologies if this was mentioned already, but speaking of his Australian accent, in the first theatrical trailer it seems as though his delivery of "The Wait Is Over" is clearly with a non-North American/Australian accent. Then in the rest of the film it seems to be gone obviously.

Rackon wrote: View Post
I thought the dialogue in XI was actually pretty snappy, with almost no cringe worthy moments. In fact, it was rather touching in places.
I agree. I caught some of Nemesis on AMC the other afternoon and that whole speech from Picard to Shinzon in his living room about being someone better and then Shinzon retorting with that "Voice of the echo" crap was like listening to nails on the board. They really tried to get too emotional and too "deep" and too "powerful" and it just ended up being uncomfortable more than anything. To me at least.
Devon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2009, 02:05 PM   #53
trevanian
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Nero: "It happened! I saw it happen..."

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
There was at least one member of Nero's crew who spoke with a British accent, so I don't see why it would have been a problem for Bana to use his real Aussie one.

Heck, have we even heard one real Australian accent in the whole of Trek onscreen? (Don't anyone mention Lt. Kyle; John Winston is from England, not Australia. )
Nick whatsisname, 1999 guy, TNG's FINAL MISSION ep
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2009, 07:04 PM   #54
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: Nero: "It happened! I saw it happen..."

^ Nick Tate -- also appeared as Bilby in the DS9 ep "Honor Among Thieves".

Devon wrote: View Post
M'Sharak wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
I seem to remember that they made some fuzz about creating Romulan and Vulcan language for the movie. Where did that end up? Or did they mean they needed a consultant for Australian language?
The only thing I can recall in the movie which involved Vulcan and Romulan languages took place just after Kirk, McCoy and Uhura have barged onto the bridge to talk to Pike. The communications officer is listening to a transmission which he says sounds like Vulcan but can't understand. Uhura recognizes it as being Romulan (she's fluent in "all three dialects", remember?) and is ordered to take over the communications station and translate it. Perhaps they needed to "invent" some Romulan language for that?
Something I've meant to mention for a while... but we do hear Romulan dialect at the very beginning of the film when Robau is escorted on the bridge and we see the other Romulans at their stations. I noticed that in my third theatrical viewing!
Aha. I'd forgotten about that.

Devon wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
There was at least one member of Nero's crew who spoke with a British accent, so I don't see why it would have been a problem for Bana to use his real Aussie one.

Heck, have we even heard one real Australian accent in the whole of Trek onscreen? (Don't anyone mention Lt. Kyle; John Winston is from England, not Australia. )
Apologies if this was mentioned already, but speaking of his Australian accent, in the first theatrical trailer it seems as though his delivery of "The Wait Is Over" is clearly with a non-North American/Australian accent. Then in the rest of the film it seems to be gone obviously.
I remember commenting on that when the trailer was first released -- it sounded similar to the sort of mid-Atlantic accent used by Robert Shaw in Jaws, with the hard 'R' sound.
__________________
The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but
that the lightning ain't distributed right.
— Mark Twain
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2009, 07:41 PM   #55
Rackon
Commander
 
Location: Middle America, Sol 3
Re: Nero: "It happened! I saw it happen..."

You can hear Romulan being spoken in the background on several occassions when the film cuts to the Narada - the stations and intercoms are all in that language.

Last edited by Rackon; August 18 2009 at 07:27 PM.
Rackon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2009, 02:34 AM   #56
God Magnus
Commodore
 
God Magnus's Avatar
 
Location: A world where criminals operate above the law...
View God Magnus's Twitter Profile
Re: Nero: "It happened! I saw it happen..."

I would only be really concerned about Nero's speech pattern if he happened to be talking about events that did not happen to have happened...or something...
__________________
Benson Yee
Ben's World of Transformers [Toy Reviews, Image galleries, Interviews, News and more!]
God Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2009, 03:09 AM   #57
EnsignRicky
Commodore
 
EnsignRicky's Avatar
 
Location: Pre-Apocalyptic Earth
Re: Nero: "It happened! I saw it happen..."

That's funny because I was actually distracted near the end when Nero went "I would rather watch Romulus burn... I would rather see my wife... I would rather... I would rather... I would rather..." Shit, I would have blown his ass up too.

And rather enjoyed it.
__________________
Use Only As Directed
EnsignRicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2009, 05:18 AM   #58
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral
 
Brutal Strudel's Avatar
 
Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...
Re: Nero: "It happened! I saw it happen..."

And then Nero said "What's the frequency, Kenneth?"

(See what I did there?)
__________________
Once every lifetime, we're swallowed by the whale.
Brutal Strudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2009, 05:56 AM   #59
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral
 
Ryan Thomas Riddle's Avatar
 
Location: The Bay Area
View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile
Re: Nero: "It happened! I saw it happen..."

Brutal Strudel wrote: View Post
And then Nero said "What's the frequency, Kenneth?"

(See what I did there?)
Yes. Yes, I did.
__________________
A mild-mannered reporter
Ryan Thomas Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2009, 07:47 AM   #60
donners22
Commodore
 
donners22's Avatar
 
Location: Victoria, Australia
Re: Nero: "It happened! I saw it happen..."

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Because everyone would wonder when Romulans decided to start talking like Australians.
Hey, Klingons are allowed to have English accents.

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Also, they mostly speak English in Australia (aboriginal languages and those spoken by recent immigrants aside, naturally.)
Depends on which train you catch. I think I'm in the minority as an English-speaker some days.
__________________
Kim: I'm detecting some weird technobabble.
Janeway: A possibly dangerous anomaly that we know nothing about?
Kim: Yeah. I suppose we should steer clear.
Janeway: Ha! Good one, Ensign. Take us in, Mr. Paris.

http://www.fiveminute.net/voyager
donners22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
nero

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.