Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old August 27 2009, 01:03 PM   #1
Tuvok
Lieutenant

Does anyone think that this whole thing was..

...was time way of Saying to Daniels and the Futureguy stop messing with me!

I mean time loops and travel has been done time and time again in the Primeverse. I know the Timecops ( a concept I despise) bounce around time to keep their perfect future intact.

Lets say time is a living thing. And it has these 'bugs' time distortions occur again and again. What if? As a living thing it decides to fix those future folk and their meddling forever. It causes an event that Daniels and the Timecops don't see coming. A rip in time that catches them unaware wiping them and their meddling ways out of their perfect future. Giving it same peace at last.

Yeah, yeah it's meant to be an alternate timeline, but let's be honest the NuTrek verse will be the only media representation for a while.
Tuvok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2009, 05:10 AM   #2
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7
Re: Does anyone think that this whole thing was..

Tuvok wrote: View Post
...but let's be honest the NuTrek verse will be the only media representation for a while.
I would not have it any other way. We all have our favorite DVDs, etc. for trips down Memory Lane, but I am ready for new adventures.
Old August 28 2009, 06:04 AM   #3
Gojira
Commodore

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
...but let's be honest the NuTrek verse will be the only media representation for a while.
I would not have it any other way. We all have our favorite DVDs, etc. for trips down Memory Lane, but I am ready for new adventures.
I love my old Trek and watch it on a regular basis. But it is time for something new and fresh. Long live the new Trek universe!!!
Gojira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2009, 06:19 AM   #4
PhasersOnStun
Lieutenant Commander

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
Space Therapist wrote: View Post
I love my old Trek and watch it on a regular basis. But it is time for something new and fresh. Long live the new Trek universe!!!
Amen!
PhasersOnStun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2009, 03:36 PM   #5
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

...was time way of Saying to Daniels and the Futureguy stop messing with me!

I mean time loops and travel has been done time and time again in the Primeverse. I know the Timecops ( a concept I despise) bounce around time to keep their perfect future intact.

Lets say time is a living thing. And it has these 'bugs' time distortions occur again and again. What if? As a living thing it decides to fix those future folk and their meddling forever. It causes an event that Daniels and the Timecops don't see coming. A rip in time that catches them unaware wiping them and their meddling ways out of their perfect future. Giving it same peace at last.

Yeah, yeah it's meant to be an alternate timeline, but let's be honest the NuTrek verse will be the only media representation for a while.
That's fine with me, although we'll hopefully see the original universe come back here and there. I think there ought to be room for everyone once this new universe gets a little more established.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2009, 06:16 PM   #6
milo bloom
Fleet Captain

Perhaps the same force that directs Sam Beckett and The Doctor to trouble spots in time?
Old August 28 2009, 10:04 PM   #7
Tuvok
Lieutenant

Milo Bloom wrote: View Post
Perhaps the same force that directs Sam Beckett and The Doctor to trouble spots in time?
Q?
Tuvok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2009, 06:08 AM   #8
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

Q?
Trelane.
Old August 31 2009, 01:04 AM   #9
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

middyseafort wrote: View Post
Q?
Trelane.
The Great Bird of the Galaxy.
Old September 1 2009, 02:02 AM   #10
Captain_Rogers
Lieutenant Commander

I love how people cling to the "it's an alternate timeline" form of denial. Or better yet the repeated comments about "prime universe" as if it's their way of dealing with the reality of what we have now.

It's not some parallel timeline, THIS is the prime universe, altered by changes made to it, but still the prime universe.

Early on the writers said in an interview in great detail that time travel was like it occurred in Back to the Future.

Sorry to break it to people but this IS the "prime universe" and it took a different direction the second time around.
Captain_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2009, 03:36 PM   #11
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

Boy, I bet you feel better now that you got that off your chest.

It was obviously tearing your heart in two seeing so many people operate under such a terrible delusion.

You're a hero, sir, for having the courage to say what has obviously been on everyone's mind.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2009, 12:12 AM   #12
Tralah
Wasting Time Until May 2009

Captain_Rogers wrote: View Post
I love how people cling to the "it's an alternate timeline" form of denial. Or better yet the repeated comments about "prime universe" as if it's their way of dealing with the reality of what we have now.
You better tell the people at Cryptic that who are making the upcoming Star Trek Online game.

http://www.startrekonline.com/startrek_xi

This is a fictional universe. All of this is make believe. There's no reason why there can't be two time lines.

Last edited by Tralah; September 2 2009 at 12:59 AM.
Tralah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2009, 12:48 AM   #13
PhasersOnStun
Lieutenant Commander

I love how people cling to the "it's an alternate timeline" form of denial.
Tralah wrote: View Post
You better tell the people at Cryptic that who are making the upcoming Star Trek Online game.

Thanks for the link! I think the most telling paragraph is this one:

"So how can the movie and STO be in different realities? When working on Star Trek, screenwriters Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman referenced the theory of quantum mechanics, which allows for the simultaneous existence of parallel timelines and universes. Parallel universes are self-contained, separate realities that exist as a consequence of different choices and outcomes. This concept was explored in the TNG episode "Parallels," in which there were thousands of alternate timelines (and thousands of Enterprises!). It also is seen in the Mirror Universe, which is a darker take on the world of the Federation."

This will help me cling to my form of denial.

This is a fictional universe. All of this is make believe.
Didn't you see Galaxy Quest?

Orren
PhasersOnStun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2009, 01:09 AM   #14
Captain_Rogers
Lieutenant Commander

Tralah wrote: View Post

This is a fictional universe. All of this is make believe. There's no reason why there can't be two time lines.
At least for ME...I don't really care.

One, it's a fictional universe anyway. And secondly, I never ranted on forums that my childhood memories had been raped, which I think is a bit delusional in some people's case. I was able to enjoy the old and the new without it becoming a matter of such personal umbrage.
Captain_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2009, 01:43 AM   #15
Tralah
Wasting Time Until May 2009

One, it's a fictional universe anyway. And secondly, I never ranted on forums that my childhood memories had been raped, which I think is a bit delusional in some people's case. I was able to enjoy the old and the new without it becoming a matter of such personal umbrage.
We seem to be on the same page when it comes to that. I just find it odd you'd consider people delusional for referring to the alternate time line and the prime time line. I'm quite the fan of both of them. Some fans do seem weirdly outraged at the events that happened in the movie, but they're a part of a small, fanatic minority (I hope!).
Tralah is offline   Reply With Quote