Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: District 9 - Your grade
Excellent 91 61.07%
Above Average 39 26.17%
Average 11 7.38%
Below Average 5 3.36%
Poor 3 2.01%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 17 2009, 10:21 AM   #91
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Re: District 9 - Review, Discuss, Commentary ***SPOILERS*** possible

I shook my head at that one and laughed, but I left it. I figure there aren't going to be too many threads about seafood....
Old August 17 2009, 12:36 PM   #92
Yuletide Caroler
Rear Admiral

View Yuletide Caroler's Twitter Profile

^ Speaking of prawns. If there is a sequel, with Christopher returning, it had better star this guy as the King Prawn:

Just sayin'
Old August 17 2009, 02:05 PM   #93
Seventh White Boomer
Rear Admiral

Excellent. By far it was the best sci-fi flick I've seen this year so far.
Seventh White Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2009, 02:39 PM   #94
Warped9
Admiral

I'm wavering between Above Average and Excellent after seeing it on Saturday. I have nitpicking criticisms, but there was also a lot I liked.

I voted Above Average, but I'll elaborate a little later.
Old August 17 2009, 02:51 PM   #95
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

Warped9 wrote: View Post
I'm wavering between Above Average and Excellent after seeing it on Saturday. I have nitpicking criticisms, but there was also a lot I liked.

Would you be willing to watch it again?

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2009, 04:03 PM   #96
Bisz
Rear Admiral

Blue_Trek wrote: View Post
Cool weaponry too, no such thing as just a flesh wound with those things.
Sure there is, you just have to redefine 'flesh wound' to mean all your flesh is torn from your body.
Old August 17 2009, 06:58 PM   #97
Warped9
Admiral

USS Mariner wrote: View Post

Would you be willing to watch it again?
Yes. In fact I'm interested in the DVD when it's released.

The nitpicks I have do not detract from what I thought was a very well done work overall. The nitpicks are more in the manner of what I feel were loose threads, nothing truly substantial or distracting but there nonetheless.

I'm trying to think of what I can say without spilling too many beans for those who haven't seen it yet. I've already reccommended the film to four people today at work.
Old August 17 2009, 07:00 PM   #98
Warped9
Admiral

Bisz wrote: View Post
Blue_Trek wrote: View Post
Cool weaponry too, no such thing as just a flesh wound with those things.
Sure there is, you just have to redefine 'flesh wound' to mean all your flesh is torn from your body.
Very cool weapons, although it does raise a significant question: if you've got that kind of weaponry at hand then how do you allow yourself to be so victimized?

After seeing some of the remarks in this thread (and published reviews) I don't think I'm really giving anything away, so here goes.

Iíve seen four SF related films so far this year. Terminator Salvation was competentóit wasnít awesome, but it didnít suck either. Star Trek í09 was simply pure garbage without one redeeming thing about it. The Keannu Reeves The Day The Earth Stood Still remake was also irredeemable in every respect. Iíve still yet to see Moon which still interests me.

Now along comes District 9. It isnít above criticism, but from what I see those criticisms mostly amount to nitpicking. This is a smart film in many ways.

Right off I can see how this was made for so little. It isnít that it looks cheapóquite the contraryóbut the money was used wisely. Money wasnít spent needlessly on big name actors for one thing. Thereís very much something of a well used army surplus look to the film. Camera motion, long shots, objects blurred by distance and a host of other cleverly used techniques (part of the documentary style) also allowed them to engage viewer imagination to envision detail that may or may not have been there. And most everything looks worn and dirtied which also serves to obscure detail.

But itís the story and the ideas involved that sets this film apart from so much else, and it isnít just making the alien Prawns sympathetic. Throughout history humans have easily managed to brutalize each other particularly those perceived different and apart from a more favoured group. So itís easy to see how humans could conceivably treat alien life forms in much the same way under the right circumstances.

Iíve read and seen a lot of SF over the years and so perhaps it wasnít all that hard for me to sympathize with the aliens even though I found them repulsive. And by the end of the film while I was getting used to their appearance I still found them repulsive. That said the question is whether someone with less extensive exposure to SF would respond the same way I did while watching this film. It certainly didnít take me long to take a very dim view of the humansí cold and calculating abuse of the Prawns

This was one of the key elements in the smart approach in this film. The aliens arenít aggressors and neither are they cute and cuddly orphans. They are victims of circumstance who are at a disadvantage and who just happen to look like something many of us would have no hesitation in squashing underfoot. They donít act exactly like us and they never speak English (although how the few humans speaking to the Prawns understand them is beyond me, but it was cleverly done). Broadly speaking this is much like The Planet Of The Apes only with the human and alien situations reversed.

Indeed the Prawns are one of the most effective depictions of alien Iíve ever seen in SF in the visual mediums. They looked and moved and spoke(?) convincingly. I could quibble with them being bipedal and of having familiar bilateral symetry, but I suppose the producers felt there had to be something identifiable about them.

After seeing the Pawns so mistreated Iím not sure I developed much real sympathy for the central human character. He starts off as a hypocritical piece of crap and never progresses much beyond that even when he starts to see things from the Prawnsí perspective because of his metamorphosis.

My only real quibble with this film is a technical one: if the alien mothership is so depleted of power then what the hell is holding the thing suspended above the city? And if the aliens had such effective weaponry then how did they manage to allow themselves to be in such a disadvantaged circumstance at our hands? On the second point I can only speculate that perhaps while they may look so loathsome (to us) they are not overly aggressive by nature. Of course maybe Iím just reaching here, but it struck me the Prawns meant no real animosity towards humans in general and mostly just wanted to be left alone. Perhaps they came to Earth out of simple desperation. Christopherís remark that heíd return in three years strongly infers that they have some form of FTL stardrive capability, another question mark in regard to how someone with such advanced tech over us could be so victimized.

This film does avoid other questions: Where did the Prawns come from? How did they find themselves in such desperate circumstances that brought them here? There were over a million of them aboard so was this a colony ship or what? Where were the sympathizers to the Prawnsí situation (and you know there had to be at least some although they were never seen). Will the Prawn Christopher return as promised yet as a rescue expedition or a retaliatory one?

Some of those questions donít really matter because the point of this film was to make you think and ask yourself questions. In that I think this film was effective. Iíll be interested to see what extras and what deleted scenes (if any) the DVD will have. This one is definitely one Iíll pick up.

Last edited by Warped9; August 17 2009 at 08:29 PM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2009, 08:32 PM   #99
Bisz
Rear Admiral

Very cool weapons, although it does raise a significant question: if you've got that kind of weaponry at hand then how do you allow yourself to be so victimized?
Old August 17 2009, 08:52 PM   #100
Warped9
Admiral

^^ Well said. And you make sense.

My feeling is that whatever the circumstances that led to it the Prawns were perhaps refugees of some kind.

I still have a big question mark over how the goo that infected the MNU guy just also happened to be the substance they needed for fuel. That didn't detract from me enjoying the film, but it didn't make much sense to me either.
Old August 17 2009, 08:53 PM   #101
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

As far as the language understanding goes, it's not far fetched. If you're in another country and are exposed to a different language for long enough, you start to pick it up. The scene in the shuttle down below showed that Wikus was not entirely fluent in the alien language. He just recognized certain words.
Old August 17 2009, 08:55 PM   #102
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

My feeling is that whatever the circumstances that led to it the Prawns were perhaps refugees of some kind.
I got the impression that perhaps it was maybe a slave-ship. Didn't one of the "news clips" at the begining say something about a command module detaching and leaving?
Old August 17 2009, 09:03 PM   #103
Warped9
Admiral

The one phrase that has stuck in my head as well as the others who saw the film with me was "fucking prawns" as said with a South African accent. We were joking about it all day today at work.

"Man, what a shitty day."

"Yeah. It's all because of them fucking prawns."
Old August 17 2009, 09:40 PM   #104
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post

I got the impression that perhaps it was maybe a slave-ship. Didn't one of the "news clips" at the begining say something about a command module detaching and leaving?
They said that something fell from the ship and they never found it. I think it's assumed that's what was underneath Christopher Johnson's shack.
Old August 17 2009, 10:00 PM   #105
Anwar
Vice Admiral

It was. When it went back up it was the opposite of the opening scene where it fell out.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote