Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: District 9 - Your grade
Excellent 91 61.07%
Above Average 39 26.17%
Average 11 7.38%
Below Average 5 3.36%
Poor 3 2.01%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 15 2009, 05:16 PM   #31
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Re: District 9 - Review, Discuss, Commentary ***SPOILERS*** possible

firehawk12 wrote: View Post
Spaceman Spiff wrote: View Post
Gee, ya think?
Well, honestly, there's a way to do subtle without being SyFy about it. They don't need a random black character go, "YOU DID THIS TO US AND NOW YOU'RE DOING IT TO THEM", but all they needed to do was just have a black character identify with the aliens.
No, I'm tired of movies being that on-the-nose.

I agree 100% with Kajima.
Old August 15 2009, 05:29 PM   #32
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Keep in mind the documentary that provided the basis of the story was probably friendly to the government and the general sentiment of the population.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2009, 05:44 PM   #33
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Gee, ya think?
Well, honestly, there's a way to do subtle without being SyFy about it. They don't need a random black character go, "YOU DID THIS TO US AND NOW YOU'RE DOING IT TO THEM", but all they needed to do was just have a black character identify with the aliens.

The problem is that it becomes erasure. Although, I do accept the premise that being a part of government documentary, it would make sense to erase the problematic parts of history.

Sort of like WW2 propaganda videos not mentioning Japanese internment or segregated armies, I suppose.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2009, 05:48 PM   #34
davejames
Vice Admiral

I thought it was pretty good myself, if a bit... one-note.

The story it told, it told well, but somehow from the reviews I was expecting something a little more complex and multi-layered. There didn't seem to be much more to it than "The way these aliens are being treated is wrong!" which it then hammered away at for another 2 hours. And it did become too much of a conventional scifi/action movie at the end.

Still though, I did appreciate that the main character wasn't just your standard, noble good guy. And the journey he goes on IS pretty compelling.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2009, 07:45 PM   #35
Daneel
Rear Admiral

Haven't seen it yet, so I'm avoiding spoilers, but I just thought I'd mention that District 9 was #1 at the box office on its opening day. Early estimates have it taking in $14,185,000 on Friday, far more than the other major release of the week, The Time Traveler's Wife. It also made almost twice as much as last week's champ, G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, despite the fact that Joe has nearly a thousand more locations than District 9.

Considering the film's $30 million price-tag, that's pretty impressive. I will concur with Doggeh and say that it will easily make back its budget this weekend.
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2009, 08:38 PM   #36
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Let this be a lesson to Hollywood: You don't need to have a lot of money for a hit.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2009, 09:03 PM   #37
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Which is ironic since Halo was supposed to cost something idiotic... what did MS want? A 200 million budget?

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2009, 09:07 PM   #38
Anwar
Vice Admiral

I think it would've been more like 1 Billion.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2009, 09:49 PM   #39
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Peope should also consider that District 9 takes place in an alternate world where aliens appeared over South America twenty years ago. With that in mind, not everything can be related to actual events.
Old August 15 2009, 10:07 PM   #40
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I decided to go ahead and rate this one 'excellent'. The movie was well made. I'm surprised that it only cost $30 million. I guess it can be done. Makes me wonder why everything else costs close to $200 million.

- At the beginning, I thought the movie was overly raw and distgusting, but as it progressed, the film's heart came through and the disgust went away. And I too felt more sympathy for the Prawns in the end. They did a good job of portraying them as dirty animals at the start, then ultimately "humanizing" them in a very significant way through that one character.

- Switching from documentary style to full-on movie style, then back to documantary style was a bit awkward.

- I was surprised that they threw in an "Iron Man" sequence. It was a bit clichéd, but good. At least the suit wasn't totally indestructible.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2009, 10:42 PM   #41
NKemp3
Commodore

Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
USS Mariner wrote: View Post
Um, I'd think that it's understandable that everyone on the planet would be distracted from the man-on-man Apartheid when ALIENS LAND ON THE FUCKING EARTH.

I honestly don't understand this point. What the fuck did you want them to do? They were addressing actual apartheid, through the use of alien stand-ins. If they did actual apartheid, a lot of people wouldn't bother even seeing it. Using aliens draws more people into dealing with concepts that they otherwise wouldn't give two fucks over if they saw actual black people being treated this way.
I wanted an actual acknowledgment of historical fact.

Look, the film is, by and large, very well done and, on many levels, I found the character interactions to be quite moving. There is value to its central commentary about how humanity treats people who are different. But I won't ignore, gloss over, or excuse the fact that there's no mention whatsoever of what was actually taking place in South Africa at the time these aliens arrived.

D9 is a movie about Apartheid-like conditions, set in South Africa. The significant event of the arrival of aliens took place during Apartheid. There is no mention whatsoever of how that event affected the very real Apartheid that was taking place. If this film wants to be a serious commentary on "actual Apartheid" (as you put it), for it to ignore the historical context of Apartheid in its chosen setting of South Africa is a mistake. What better way to inform viewers about Apartheid than by mentioning and addressing historical fact somewhere in the film? Failure to do so devalues the very real sacrifices people made and glosses over the atrocities committed.

The film didn't have to be about South African Apartheid, but it did have to at least explicitly confront the issue somewhere in its narrative.
I agree. And I don't see why any rational person would ever argue with the point you just made so splendidly. If te timeline for this film had been WW2 and the countries it was taking place in were Germany, Poland, Austria, etc, I'm sure both the studio and the audiences would EXPECT some reference to the Holocaust situation.
Old August 15 2009, 11:25 PM   #42
NKemp3
Commodore

Gee, ya think?

What? When are any movies bankrolled by any studio ever truly on-the-nose when it comes to race relations involving blacks and whites? Truth is Hollywood runs from it all the time (it would rather remind us for an eternity of how evil the Germans were in WW2, but films about the Civil Rights movements in America or even films which present the South in a truly negative light during the Civil War are extremely rare). And even worse than Hollywood is the mainstream audience (aka white folks) who don't have the time, patience or tolerance to look at any movie involving white oppression of blacks. The reactions found on message boards typically for such rare films are gems like "who cares?", "why not show black racism for once!" and the longtime favorite "why don't they get over it by now". The last one is so ridiculous because those same folks probably don't mind every retread of American history in films in which white Americans overcome the tyranny of the British empire during the Revolutionary War or defeat the Nazis during WW2. No, in those instances the mainstream does not mind bringing up the past again and again and again.

Of course South Africa isn't America but the point remains. Racism is a topic that is not truly explored in movies. Its a topic that many folks are uncomfortable with. These days the industry is probably more at ease dealing with homophobia than it is with racism. And that's fine. But if the filmmakers wanted to make a more powerful film and use South Africa's history of Apartheid as a historical backdrop without really hitting the audience over the head with it then the better way IMO would have been to make the human lead in the film a black person. That would make it less on-the-nose but at the same time increase the overall impact. Because it would be quite insidious for a black person born into the Apartheid system to go about treating the aliens the same way whites in his position would have treated people like him years earlier. It would demonstrate, without having to say it starightforward, how we as human beings do not learn from our mistakes in the past; instead we learn to adopt the actions and tactics of our antagonists, oppressors (current or those in a distant past) and use it for our own means when we see fit. In other words we are all flawed and all capable of having extreme prejudices.

The added bonus, if they had gone with a black lead, would be that any audience member with any understanding of South Africa's history would be saying to themselves why doesn't this black character understand that he/she is now seems to have quickly forgotten what the other side of oppression and racial inequality looks like. That would make for a more fascinating lead character in my mind and better sell the point that some of you are claiming the filmmaker is trying to get across. Seriously when I experience this story of inhumanity towards these aliens seen mostly through a white person's point of view it doesn't have much impact. After all if white South Africans could do that to their fellow human beings not too long ago, its not all too surprising that they would also treat vistors from another world in a similiar fashion.
Old August 15 2009, 11:26 PM   #43
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

The problem is that it becomes erasure. Although, I do accept the premise that being a part of government documentary, it would make sense to erase the problematic parts of history.

Sort of like WW2 propaganda videos not mentioning Japanese internment or segregated armies, I suppose.
I think you need to just go see the movie.
Old August 15 2009, 11:30 PM   #44
NKemp3
Commodore

Which is ironic since Halo was supposed to cost something idiotic... what did MS want? A 200 million budget?

Can someone fill me in on the problems of getting a Halo film off the ground and running? Who was asking for a ridiculous budget?
Old August 15 2009, 11:56 PM   #45
cal888
Lieutenant Commander

The film has time stamps saying 2010. And the aliens came between say 1989 and 1991 for "twenty years ago". By then apartheid was almost at its end in South Africa, and FW de Klerk, the last white leader, was beginning the transition negotiations.

And at Wikus' desk, he has the 1994 flag up which shows that the aliens coming didn't stop majority rule from occurring.
cal888 is offline   Reply With Quote