CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: District 9 - Your grade
Excellent 91 61.07%
Above Average 39 26.17%
Average 11 7.38%
Below Average 5 3.36%
Poor 3 2.01%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 1 2009, 06:01 PM   #211
Tyberius
Commander

Re: District 9 - Review, Discuss, Commentary ***SPOILERS*** possible

Sabataage wrote: View Post
He also talks about Christopher...

Where does this leave Christopher Johnson [an abnormally smart prawn who sparks a bit of a revolution... Not to give too much away]?

I think it's taken 20 years. I think because there is a subconscious hive mind happening, really what they should do is lay one egg that has a different embryo in it that grows into a Queen or being someone that dictates direction. But I think in the interim, because they may have done that, there may be an egg out there with that, but as that being is growing, I just like the idea that he may have been a lot more directionless in the beginning. But the hive structure of their society may just pick one or two that starts to become the leader. Like the overall structure of his brain may change because the hive may want that to happen. So he starts having a direction and a goal. Which is an interesting idea and it's just enough to kick start them to be able to get to the ship to get back.
I think that the new leader is Christopher's child. Christopher is very protective of him, moreso than the others are protective of their hatchlings. And the child appears to be "very" intelligent.

Checkmate wrote: View Post
Personally I hope Christopher never comes back. Wilkus was the worst "hero" I've ever had the displeasure of seeing. Going around laughing about how baby prawns pop like popcorn, offering abortion souveriers, lying to a child about his father, backstabbing his "friend," and just all around being completely selfish in everything he did after being infected. Pathetic.

All the movie did was make me hate South Africans even more than I did beforehand. Not even Humans in general, just South Africans. Wilkus first and foremost. I even liked the army colonel guy more; at least he was straight forward. Not a sniveling, backstabbing little fuck.
I think that was the point of the movie: To have the viewer shift their loyalties from the apparent protagonist, to the alien protagonist. At the end, you are supposed to commiserate with the alien's plight.

Fish1941 wrote: View Post
I found the movie’s portrayal of the Nigerians rather repulsive. Mind you, the South Africans were not portrayed in a positive light, including the main character. But the Nigerians were portrayed in such a one-dimensional and negative way that . . . well, it repelled me.
Irony, given that the movie is about an Apartheid like view of the other.
Tyberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2009, 07:53 PM   #212
Grant
Fleet Captain

I will boycott the sequel because of the terrible way the Nigerians were portrayed.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2009, 04:39 AM   #213
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I saw this about a week ago, and just couldn't believe the hype. Maybe part of it was I just saw Torchwood's children of earth and wasn't ready for another "Let's make all of humanity the most hated species on the planet for the sake of being original" and frankly, I just didn't care. Then the movie turned into a brutal blood bath and I was glad when it was over. Visually, this is a very good movie, given the budget, but story wise and character, I just didn't care. No one was likable, there was no one to really "root" for or care about, and again Peter Jackson is involved with a very very overrated movie.
Old September 2 2009, 06:02 AM   #214
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I saw this about a week ago, and just couldn't believe the hype. Maybe part of it was I just saw Torchwood's children of earth and wasn't ready for another "Let's make all of humanity the most hated species on the planet for the sake of being original" and frankly, I just didn't care. Then the movie turned into a brutal blood bath and I was glad when it was over. Visually, this is a very good movie, given the budget, but story wise and character, I just didn't care. No one was likable, there was no one to really "root" for or care about, and again Peter Jackson is involved with a very very overrated movie.
I agree that it was really over-hyped. But I didn't have the same problem with the violence (which felt pretty tame to me). Rather, I felt the movie seemed like two pictures where neither did a particularly good job at telling the story.
Old September 2 2009, 05:56 PM   #215
Grant
Fleet Captain

Over-rated? Yes.

I thought it was going to be fantastic.
Only above-average for me.
Why do they jump on a band-wagon and make these things into what they're not?

I truly hope it wasn't because the 'bigotry' angle was supposed to be so profound---it wasn't.

Considering all the possibilites of diseases and invasive species and harmful microbes--they were stupid to let the aliens out of the ship at all.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2009, 07:26 PM   #216
Shurik
Fleet Captain

Visually, it's a great movie and aliens probably never felt so real. But plotwise there were holes the size of that mothership, at least, and that's something even the most stunning visuals can't cover.
So, average from me and that's because I'm feeling generous.
Old September 6 2009, 02:55 PM   #217
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

Grant wrote: View Post
I will boycott the sequel because of the terrible way the Nigerians were portrayed.

Exactly. Not ONE of them sent an email regarding large riches for a comparatively small fee. For shame.
Dac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2009, 03:26 PM   #218
Brolan
Commodore

Finally saw this movie last night. Overall I thought it was pretty good. Lots of silliness in the plot though.

If an alien ship full of technological bounty was accessable to humans it would have hundreds of researchers on it 24/7 until they had figured out every last secret.

Plus the idea they would let some common thugs have access to the aliens and their technology????
Old September 7 2009, 05:28 PM   #219
Rii
Rear Admiral

I saw this film a couple days ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Most of what I know about South Africa relates to cricket, so I didn't bring any expectations to the film in that regard. Themes of identity, othering, responsibility and power resonated with me, though.
Rii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2009, 06:29 PM   #220
Shurik
Fleet Captain

Brolan wrote: View Post
Finally saw this movie last night. Overall I thought it was pretty good. Lots of silliness in the plot though.

If an alien ship full of technological bounty was accessable to humans it would have hundreds of researchers on it 24/7 until they had figured out every last secret.

Plus the idea they would let some common thugs have access to the aliens and their technology????
How did all this technology got to ground anyway, if the aliens were transported in helicopters? Or maybe the humans were stupid enough to allow those dim-witted aliens to take the weapons with them?
Old September 9 2009, 11:03 AM   #221
Walker X
Captain

So then I've waiting for ages for this movie - I think it was here i first heard of this movie when it was first mentioned, so take that time + what it took for the UK release.

So after that wait, was it worth it. HELL YEAH.

So its not life changing (its a summer movie - but its not that mindless), sure its head and shoulders above everything else i've seen lately. It might not be up there with the 'classics' of sci fi right now but I think in time I'm sure it will become revered in its own right and people stop arguing about South Africa and apartheid and except its about cross cultural integration what ever the place, time, race and/or ethnicity is.

But is anyone else getting a sense of deja vu to after the first matrix movie and before the second. Coz at i'm feeling i want more but my experiences make me wary what ever comes next will only disappoint me.

Another side point, the effects/budgest, I think it just shows that if your doing a heavy effects laidened movie, get someone with the expereance with wielding such things instead of hiring it out to some second team of experts, coz looking at what is in other movies and what they get for 2/3 times the money and don't look this good - coz they are robbing your budget I fear.
Old September 9 2009, 06:09 PM   #222
RAMA
Vice Admiral

I fianlly saw this movie with a couple of friends the other night. We all thought it was unusual, not quite like anything we had seen. Imagine a big release in a the US set in South Africa of all places. I really liked the lead actor, and the SF elements were all well integrated. My only real gripe is that the movie was somewhat heavy handed, especially in the beginning.

This was a really good year for SF movies.

Best of the 2000s:

1. Star Trek(2009)
2. Minority Report(2003)
3. Matrix Revolution(2003)
4. Matrix Reloaded(2003)
5. Dark Knight(2008)
6. Iron Man(2008)
7. Day the Earth Stood Still(2008)
8. I, Robot(2004)
9. District 9(2009)
10. Sunshine(2007)
11. Moon(2009)
12. X-Men 3(2006)
13. V for Vendetta(2006)
14. X-2(2003)
15. War of the Worlds(2005)
Old September 10 2009, 09:35 PM   #223
melancholymecha
Rear Admiral

someone's gonna have a pretty cool costume this Halloween
melancholymecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2009, 09:45 PM   #224
Hyperspace05
Commodore

I finally saw it... Excellent!
Hyperspace05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2009, 12:12 AM   #225
Bluesteel
Commander

I just saw it today. The ending was a bit of a letdown. What happened to the aliens? They get shipped off to an another district while the guy and his son fly off. We didn't get to see the Aliens get rescued out of the hell hole they live in.
Bluesteel is offline   Reply With Quote