Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: District 9 - Your grade
Excellent 91 61.07%
Above Average 39 26.17%
Average 11 7.38%
Below Average 5 3.36%
Poor 3 2.01%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 21 2009, 12:52 AM   #181
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: District 9 - Review, Discuss, Commentary ***SPOILERS*** possible

777 wrote: View Post
What did South Africans (and all of them on top of it) ever do to you?
I have a lot of respect for South Africa, they gave us the very excellent show Charlie Jade.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2009, 01:46 AM   #182
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

chrisspringob wrote: View Post
DarKush wrote: View Post
chrisspringob wrote: View Post

It wasn't based in apartheid-era South Africa. It was based in modern day South Africa, with a few pieces of footage from apartheid-era South Africa (the aliens' initial arrival on Earth).
I think you're partly right. I think the movie was based in an alternate reality where the apartheid system continued to the present day.
Is there any evidence whatsoever that (human, not alien) apartheid was still going on in the present day in the movie?
As I mentioned earlier, the flag on Wikus' table was that of the post-apartheid South Africa, rather than the older one.
Nerroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2009, 03:23 AM   #183
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Thanks. I found an interview where he answers ... questions...

Read the response.
He thinks the aliens are from the Andromeda Galaxy?

Yeah. Because the 100,000 light years of our own galaxy isn't far away enough. No, the aliens have to be 2-million light years away in Andromeda.
Old August 21 2009, 03:57 AM   #184
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Here's another interview with the director...

http://www.avclub.com/articles/distr...lomkamp,31606/
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2009, 05:21 AM   #185
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Thanks. I found an interview where he answers ... questions...

Read the response.
He thinks the aliens are from the Andromeda Galaxy?

Yeah. Because the 100,000 light years of our own galaxy isn't far away enough. No, the aliens have to be 2-million light years away in Andromeda.
I don't think the mythology really matters. This is a film that takes place in the middle of an event - the details of what happened before and after aren't that important.

Besides, what happens when people try to flesh out the mythology? We get the Matrix sequels.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2009, 07:44 AM   #186
Ryan
Commodore

Warped9 wrote: View Post
I may be wrong, but my gut feeling is that I don't expect to see a followup to this.
It's probably better that way. Given the prawn's huge amount of weapons and their willingness to rip the limbs off humans, it's safe to say they're about as belligerent as we are. Unfortunately for us they're also centuries more advanced and likely to be a bit pissed off when their backup arrives.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2009, 02:00 PM   #187
Checkmate
Commodore

tauntme wrote: View Post
Checkmate wrote: View Post
Personally I hope Christopher never comes back. Wilkus was the worst "hero" I've ever had the displeasure of seeing. Going around laughing about how baby prawns pop like popcorn, offering abortion souveriers, lying to a child about his father, backstabbing his "friend," and just all around being completely selfish in everything he did after being infected. Pathetic.

All the movie did was make me hate South Africans even more than I did beforehand. Not even Humans in general, just South Africans. Wilkus first and foremost. I even liked the army colonel guy more; at least he was straight forward. Not a sniveling, backstabbing little fuck.
You're just a generally pessimistic guy. Wilkus was never supposed to be your typical hero, although he did go back and save Christopher at the end. He was full of flaws, an anti-hero if you will. And I didn't hate him, his humor was dark, that's true, but if you go around, you will notice that much of our humor is dark as well. At that time, no one could relate to the aliens, and the humor is an attempt by the humans to relate to them, no matter how twisted. It's exactly like racial prejudice.
If being utterly disgusted by someone who's laughing, joking, and offering souveneirs as he's performing mass abortions for the entertainment of his viewers makes me pessimistic, then I'm the most pessimistic man to ever walk the earth.

Fuck Wilkus.
Checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2009, 06:18 PM   #188
thumbtack
Commodore

The movie definitely had a hero, but I can see why some people would have wanted the hero to be one of the human characters.
Old August 21 2009, 06:59 PM   #189
melancholymecha
Rear Admiral

how was Wikus controlling the mecha? he stuck his claw hand through the gooey portal & then it seemed he made a mental link so, was he controling it with his mind? it also seemed to amplify his voice. Very anime.
melancholymecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2009, 07:01 PM   #190
Base_Delta_Zero
Commodore

Excellent. Really loved the film. Was thinking Half-Life games through the whole thing. Why don't they make a movie about that? Maybe roll it into the District 9 universe, use the same director, etc.

Cristopher (best CGI character realization I've ever seen) and his son (who was just pure win througout) were major characters, but the main character was clearly Wikus. He had the most screen time, the most dialogue and his actions most directly affected the plot. That he was a giant asshole most of the film was kind of refreshing. I couldn't believe he actually ran away at first in the mech like a puss, before a crisis of conscience and the realization he was in MECH facing light infantry convinced him to turn and fuck the villains' shit up.
Base_Delta_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2009, 07:13 PM   #191
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

Maybe it's just me, but when I saw Christopher and the kid's eyes, they reminded me a little of Bumblebee's from the two Bayformers movies, for some reason...
Nerroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2009, 10:49 PM   #192
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Christopher and his son were by far the best CGI characters of the season. Sorry Transformers!
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2009, 05:06 AM   #193
Morpheus 02
Commodore

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I wonder if his finger grew back? The "prawns" seemed crustacean-like and crustaceans have regenerative abilities.

I also think it's interesting that he so gleefully torched the prawn-egg incubator but refused to fire the alien-weapon at the prawn when he was being used as a test subject for firing the weapons.
Maybe he was pro-choice?

The eggs didn't seem alive to him, i'm sure....but by the time Wikus was brought in, his eyes began opening about the "humanity" of the Prawns...as well as the fact that he was being used as a weapon.

Glad you brought this up...Wikus seems to bounce back and forth in his view of "others"...kinda like how the rest of we humans can be.

I also liked his "geekiness"...i could relate to it.
Morpheus 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2009, 07:05 AM   #194
Sabataage
Commander

tauntme wrote: View Post
Personally I hope Christopher never comes back. Wilkus was the worst "hero" I've ever had the displeasure of seeing. Going around laughing about how baby prawns pop like popcorn, offering abortion souveriers, lying to a child about his father, backstabbing his "friend," and just all around being completely selfish in everything he did after being infected. Pathetic.

All the movie did was make me hate South Africans even more than I did beforehand. Not even Humans in general, just South Africans. Wilkus first and foremost. I even liked the army colonel guy more; at least he was straight forward. Not a sniveling, backstabbing little fuck.
You're just a generally pessimistic guy. Wilkus was never supposed to be your typical hero, although he did go back and save Christopher at the end. He was full of flaws, an anti-hero if you will. And I didn't hate him, his humor was dark, that's true, but if you go around, you will notice that much of our humor is dark as well. At that time, no one could relate to the aliens, and the humor is an attempt by the humans to relate to them, no matter how twisted. It's exactly like racial prejudice.
If being utterly disgusted by someone who's laughing, joking, and offering souveneirs as he's performing mass abortions for the entertainment of his viewers makes me pessimistic, then I'm the most pessimistic man to ever walk the earth.

Fuck Wilkus.
I think he was an excellent subversion of the "Mighty Whitey" archetype. Numerous movies about racial oppression cast the hero as some white guy who is an outsider, who is ignorant to the injustices being inflicted upon this group or people. After seeing and experiencing what these people are going through he has a change of heart almost immediatley and sets out to save them however he can. This person becomes a hero and a champion to a community that couldn't find one on their own.

Wikus, on the other hand is part of the system oppressing them. And he doesn't give a shit. He's more than happy to call in that fire unit (dubbed "Population Control") since he already sees these creatures as vermin. Vermin he's forced by law to speak to like they were human beings.
He's also a short-sighted tool. He thinks that just by not having a prawn hand anymore everything will go back to normal. The only reason he doesn't cut it off is because he can't stand the pain.
He learns nothing the whole movie. It's all just as a bad dream. One Wilkus is so desperate to wake up from he's willing to do anything or fuck over anyone in order to do so. Only after all hope is lost, when its clear to him there is no chance of escape, that his former life is effectively over, that he stops thinking about himself and tries to do the right thing. Mind you even then he warns Christopher: "Hurry up before I change my mind!" All this makes for a much more interesting lead character than what Hollywood usually dishes out.
Sabataage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2009, 09:42 PM   #195
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I just got back from it and I was quite impressed. They actually gave us *alien* aliens, I've been waitng a long time to see something like that on screen. And they threw in some nice powered suit mayhem just as icing on the cake. I don't remember anything that just made me want to say "oh, that's so obviously CGI".

I wonder if this film will have any impact one way or another on that V series coming out?

I'm shocked that people wanted the allegory to be more heavy-handed somehow. I think it works very well as is and can go well beyond apartheid when it comes to intolerance and injustice.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote