Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

View Poll Results: what TV channel do you think would be most realistic in 2010-2013?
Showtime - subscription TV channel (owned by CBS Corporation) 15 28.85%
Spike [formerly Spike TV] cable/satellite TV channel (a division of MTV Networks, owned by Viacom) 0 0%
SyFy - cable TV channel- (part of the entertainment conglomerate NBC Universal) 16 30.77%
CBS broadcast network (owned by CBS Corporation) 14 26.92%
The CW broadcast network (owned by CBS Corporation) 7 13.46%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 18 2010, 07:06 PM   #151
corairs
Ensign

Re: What channel should a new Trek TV series be on?

If there is one i hope it's on Sy-fy are cabel if it's on Showtime are HBO are Starzs ill heve to look at it on DVD . b
corairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2010, 08:00 AM   #152
highlyillogical
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Send a message via AIM to highlyillogical

Who voted for CW???
highlyillogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2010, 09:21 AM   #153
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

I'd really like to see it on a cable channel like HBO or Showtime since they can get away with more stuff.
Old August 7 2010, 09:10 PM   #154
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

highlyillogical wrote: View Post
Who voted for CW???
CW and Showtime are the only realistic answers because CBS owns them and isn't going to make a show for a competitor to air. CBS itself is unlikely because they have zero interest in sci fi (they are the only one of the five networks with no sf/f programming now or debuting next season), their audience is totally wrong, and the fact that their shows get strong ratings means that Star Trek would probably need 10M+ to survive and there's no way it would ever get that. Star Trek needs to be someplace it can survive as a niche show.

CW had a space opera pilot in contention for the coming season. It wasn't picked up, but that did demonstrate interest. Showtime launched Stargate way back when; maybe they'd be interested in going back to space opera someday.

Of the two, I'd say CW is slightly more likely because they seem to be expanding from young female demo and adding young male (natural for space opera); and it's been a long time since Showtime had Stargate. HBO has made noises about doing sci fi series, but I haven't heard boo from Showtime to demonstrate any interest in that area.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2010, 05:13 AM   #155
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

Definitely not CBS. It would not live past one season, two at the most. It's interesting to note that the new V has been renewed, but I don't overly anticipate it surviving into year three. Plus, a new Star Trek would probably cost more, because... yeah. No, it certainly would.

Possibly the CW. That network has Supernatural, which can actually be decent sometimes when it isn't making sure to shove breasts at the younger demographic. That would still be a big concern of mine. We saw how much T'Pol-flashing went on with Enterprise. The same thing would most assuredly happen again, and it could be very distracting.

Spike would be a horrible, horrifying choice. Seven of Nine and T'Pol won't have had anything on the outfits that network would force.

SyFy is probably the best choice overall, and then its survival would definitely depend upon critical reception. It would get four or five years if it gets half the positive buzz BSG got. The problem here is that I don't think CBS would let this happen. They'd say SyFy can't provide the money for it, and they'd probably be right. I read in the past that there was a brief flirtation with the idea that SyFy (Sci-Fi) then would take Enterprise for a fifth season, akin to its investments in Andromeda and Sliders in the past. The big idea was that the network just couldn't afford it, or so I hear.

Showtime wouldn't be able to guarantee the numbers CBS would want. Stargate SG-1 was considered reasonably profitable on that network for the five initial years it was with them, and I think it pulled like 400k-600k viewers or so per week. Suffice it to say, that's not the kind of numbers CBS would want. Enterprise was shot dead after four seasons because it was only pulling like 1.6 million viewers. I mean, yes, it's a different environment. But I don't know that the production values and all that would mesh with that sort of thing. I will easily confess I don't understand much at all about how premium cable networks operate, though. HBO gets all these high-end dramas but never rakes in the digits that even regular cable networks aim for. How they get away with it I don't understand.
Jeff O'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2010, 05:49 AM   #156
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
highlyillogical wrote: View Post
Who voted for CW???
CW and Showtime are the only realistic answers because CBS owns them and isn't going to make a show for a competitor to air. CBS itself is unlikely because they have zero interest in sci fi (they are the only one of the five networks with no sf/f programming now or debuting next season), their audience is totally wrong, and the fact that their shows get strong ratings means that Star Trek would probably need 10M+ to survive and there's no way it would ever get that. Star Trek needs to be someplace it can survive as a niche show.
Oh man, you're right, ABC is the one doing V, not CBS. Dammit.
Old August 8 2010, 10:26 PM   #157
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

Jeff O'Connor wrote: View Post
Showtime wouldn't be able to guarantee the numbers CBS would want. Stargate SG-1 was considered reasonably profitable on that network for the five initial years it was with them, and I think it pulled like 400k-600k viewers or so per week. Suffice it to say, that's not the kind of numbers CBS would want. Enterprise was shot dead after four seasons because it was only pulling like 1.6 million viewers. I mean, yes, it's a different environment. But I don't know that the production values and all that would mesh with that sort of thing. I will easily confess I don't understand much at all about how premium cable networks operate, though. HBO gets all these high-end dramas but never rakes in the digits that even regular cable networks aim for. How they get away with it I don't understand.
CBS doesn't care what ratings Showtime gets. All CBS cares about is what Showtime will pay for each episode. Showtime(and HBO) get a large portion of their revenue from subscriber fees. They don't need as many viewers since those viewers are paying ~$15/month to get the channel. If Showtime feels they can get enough people to subscribe to watch Star Trek they will be happy, even if they're not getting 3+ million/episode.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2010, 10:34 PM   #158
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Thanks for that. I totally forgot the process, but it all makes sense again.
Old August 8 2010, 10:39 PM   #159
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

The one hope for decent Trek on TV is if Showtime thinks they can get a million or so Trekkies to subscribe. For premium cable, it's not about advertisers, it's about new subscribers (and not losing the existing ones).

Hmm. Maybe we should start a petition. "I will pay $15/month for Star Trek on Showtime!"
Old August 8 2010, 10:52 PM   #160
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Hmm. Maybe we should start a petition. "I will pay $15/month for Star Trek on Showtime!"
Petitions solve everything, you know!
Old August 9 2010, 08:10 PM   #161
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Ok here's the way to do it.

1. One million Trekkies subscribe to Showtime.

2. THEN they sign a petition, "I will cancel my subscription unless you show a Star Trek series by X date."

3. If Showtime does not comply, they cancel on X date. THEN Showtime knows we're serious.
Old August 9 2010, 08:13 PM   #162
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

Assuming the 1m fans are willing to pay a Showtime subscription for the 12-18 months it takes to produce the first season.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2010, 08:45 PM   #163
ConRefit79
Captain

Syndicated. It worked well for TNG and DS9. Not to mention TOS after it was canceled.
ConRefit79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2010, 08:48 PM   #164
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Syndication is gone as a viable alternative. The business has changed since TNG.

Basic cable would be the best option if only CBS had an appropriate basic cable outlet...
Old August 9 2010, 09:19 PM   #165
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Wonderful plan, Temis. Hahah.

And yes, Temis speaks the truth. Everyone is so quick to say 'syndication' because they read that that's how TNG got big, but the fact is, it's a dying art. The business is different.