RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,702
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 382
Newest member: PlainSimplGarak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

View Poll Results: what TV channel do you think would be most realistic in 2010-2013?
Showtime - subscription TV channel (owned by CBS Corporation) 15 28.85%
Spike [formerly Spike TV] cable/satellite TV channel (a division of MTV Networks, owned by Viacom) 0 0%
SyFy - cable TV channel- (part of the entertainment conglomerate NBC Universal) 16 30.77%
CBS broadcast network (owned by CBS Corporation) 14 26.92%
The CW broadcast network (owned by CBS Corporation) 7 13.46%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 29 2009, 10:38 PM   #91
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: What channel should a new Trek TV series be on?

You read my mind! I was going to post a link to that article.

The dratted network business model is the biggest obstacle here. For it all to be thrown up in the air may bode well for Star Trek. Can't be worse than "not on the air," so chaos is a good thing!

Sucks to think about even higher cable bills, though. Can't Obama force them to do a la carte pricing? After Lost ends this season, I just want History, Comedy, Sci Fi and Animal Planet!
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2010, 06:53 AM   #92
You_Guyz
Commander

If NBC could somehow get it that would be good, the network is struggling and even fairly mediocre demographics on the NBC are seen as successful.
You_Guyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2010, 11:50 PM   #93
seigezunt
Vice Admiral

Location: Splashing on some Tiberius before a night on the town

BET, or Midnight Blue.
I am constantly surprised by the close-mindedness of some fans...this means change as well as a positive attitude. Without those things, how can we ever achieve that Trek future we enjoyed so much on TV? --Bjo Trimble
seigezunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2010, 02:51 AM   #94
TJinPgh
Captain

Some of the best shows on TV right now are on cable. Networks like HBO, TNT and FX all have some excellent stuff. Quite frankly, much of it is better than what's on the top 3 networks (and certainly better than anything on Fox or CW). The only difference tends to be the number of episodes.

SyFy has some decent shows. Although, part of why those shows are able to continue despite ratings that pale in comparison to even most of the CW/Fox level shows is because they are farmed out to similar networks in other countries.

Shows like Dr. Who, Stargate and BSG seem to do well in Canada (where some of them are filmed), Australia and certain parts of Europe.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind seeing a Trek show on Showtime. Stargate started out there and did well. A more adult oriented version could be interesting.
TJinPgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2010, 05:17 AM   #95
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Shows like Dr. Who, Stargate and BSG seem to do well in Canada (where some of them are filmed), Australia and certain parts of Europe.
The big hit mainstream American shows often do well overseas. I don't know if Star Trek would benefit particularly from that - sci fi acceptance overseas is a mixed bag - seems like tragic emo vampires and superheroes are the way to go - but I'd bet it wouldn't do any worse than average.

The main problem is making Trek a "big hit mainstream American show." Once you got that, you can sell it in foreign markets.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind seeing a Trek show on Showtime.
Showtime would mind. They sell their premium subscription price on the same basis as HBO - we give you stuff you can't get elsewhere. Star Trek is a brand name the audience knows they should be able to "get elsewhere" (regardless of whether it's on the air at any given time, that is the message the brand communicates), and therefore would undermine the brand positioning that Showtime has invested heavily to achieve and justify their premium price. You don't open a fancy four star restaurant and put Big Macs on the menu.
Old January 5 2010, 05:21 AM   #96
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Showtime would mind.

You don't open a fancy four star restaurant and put Big Macs on the menu.
nice Temis....
good analogy.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2010, 01:41 AM   #97
TJinPgh
Captain

[QUOTE=Temis the Vorta;3722970][QUOTE]
The main problem is making Trek a "big hit mainstream American show." Once you got that, you can sell it in foreign markets.

I'd say the problem here is this...

Showtime would mind. They sell their premium subscription price on the same basis as HBO - we give you stuff you can't get elsewhere. Star Trek is a brand name the audience knows they should be able to "get elsewhere"
Star Trek has always been a tough sell overseas. No matter how well they do here, they tend to be lackluster performers elsewhere. While "Star Trek" did a little better than most, it still didn't set anything on fire in the foreign market.

To that end, I'm not sure it matters how big the series would become here.

This is, in part, why I question how good a job this movie actually did at attracting those who are traditionally not Trek fans and perhaps merely did a good job at motivating those who already were.

Not sure how that translates to Canada, though, as their numbers seem to be wrapped up in ours.

You don't open a fancy four star restaurant and put Big Macs on the menu.
Well, you do if people expect the burger to be better. I'm not sure we have a reason to expect that, though.
Old January 6 2010, 05:58 AM   #98
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Star Trek has always been a tough sell overseas. No matter how well they do here, they tend to be lackluster performers elsewhere.
Has it done worse than, say, Stargate or B5?

Well, you do if people expect the burger to be better.
You expect it to be a lot better, a $20 burger and not a $5 burger. Meanwhile, McDonald's makes more money off Big Macs than all the fancy restaurants combined. So why would the Big Mac want to be in the fancy restaurant any more than vice versa? Far more people want a $5 burger than a $20 one, while the people who want to spend a lot of money for dinner don't want a burger at all. I've been to plenty of fancy restaurants that don't even have burgers on the menu. The fancy restaurants should do what they're good at, and McDonald's should get busy making some frakkin Big Macs!
Old January 6 2010, 06:00 AM   #99
ngc7293
Commander

Here is the way I see it:
Showtime: Subscription Cable. I get free cable now I don't want to buy a subscription to see one show. And I have had one of those 6month free things and it was junk.

Spike: Free on cable. not even scifi mostly csi or ECW or the like

Siffy: mostly scifi but there is that issue with the name. I never looked to see if there was a topic on syfy.com to see if there was a reason for the name change. I think it is just so they have a reason to show what ever they want (even though they have been doing that for a long time)

CBS: "...we interrupt this broadcast with this interview with a guy who lives 50 miles away from you we 'promise' to return you to your regularly scheduled program after we are done boring you to death...." They did this with The President, Baseball, The Governor, The Mayor of Detroit. And for the most part the show kept running for the rest of the country. I was not happy.

CW: I think CW is another broadcaster. See CBS above ^.

So Siffy (or what ever you want to call it) has issues but it is still better than the other choices. I know that Star Gate started on Subscription, but it ran most of its time OFF of it. As far as I am concerned all I would be paying for would be the Scifi show.

By chance, does Showtime have a Science Fiction channel?
ngc7293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2010, 08:06 AM   #100
TJinPgh
Captain

Not that I'm aware of. But, they have had a number of sci fi shows on over the years. Stargate, Jeremiah, a few others.
Old January 6 2010, 04:20 PM   #101
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Showtime's channels - premium cable

ngc7293 wrote: View Post
By chance, does Showtime have a Science Fiction channel?

Showtime operates eight multiplex channels and a video on demand service (Showtime On Demand).

* Showtime (SHO)
* Showtime 2 (SHO2)
* Showcase (SHOC)
* Showtime Beyond (SHOB): The channel features a mix of science fiction, fantasy and horror films as well as Showtime original sci-fi series.
* Showtime Extreme (SHOX)
* Showtime Family Zone (SHOF)
* Showtime Next (SHON)
* Showtime Women (SHOW):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Showtime#Channels

Showtime Beyond would be the channel but even IF CBS Television were to put a brand new Star Trek series on premium cable Showtime which after reading this thread I highly doubt that would happen it would be on the main Showtime channel for the most brand name recognition and audience.

Showtime Beyond schedule
http://www.sho.com/site/schedules/ch...do?channel=SHB
i don't see anything but movies on there today or Friday.

Hey just wondering does anyone know the budgets of any of the Showtime original sci-fi series on Showtime Beyond ?

Last edited by jefferiestubes8; January 6 2010 at 04:32 PM.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2010, 04:26 PM   #102
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

Re: Showtime's channels - premium cable

I don't think Showtime Beyond has first run programming. It's just used for sci fi themed repeats. So a sci fi show would air on Showtime the same way Dexter does, and then be repeated on Beyond when new episodes aren't running(and maybe as repeats between episodes on Showtime).
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2010, 07:26 PM   #103
Yug
Lieutenant Commander

Wha? Syfy's no good cuz they changed their name? It's still a science fiction specialty channel. It's been doing well for years, it still shows more original Sci-Fi than ever, we're lucky to have it, and it's earned the right to show new Trek..

Showtime Beyond's not worthy cuz it doesn't have original programming? Maybe it never had a reason to up until now, have some vision...

CW skews female? Smallville! Supernatural! Vampire Diaries! (well, Ok that last one is a bit 13 yr old girlish) But the CW is Paramount, anyhoo...

Very little of any of that matters.

Star Trek is a TV show, one that can easily be shown on any channel that will have it and pay for it, Spike, Syfy, CW. I don't deny that demographics plays a huge role, but honestly, Trek has a miriad of non demo specific but devoted followers. Trek can do network, it can do cable, and if Trek indeed has risen to some higher standard thanks to the new film, then it can do Premium cable too (maybe Cinemax). Point is, even syndication can do the do, and let programmers decide. Trek, if it's done well, can take advantage of the fresh fandom created by the film and go just about anywhere.

In fact, maybe it's time to rebuild the franchise slowly and have some smaller form of Trek exist on tv for now, not make some huge production of it... a cgi series, a small budget live action series even. Perhaps one new big budget Trek film every two years or so and a small budget TV project can co-exist without getting in each others way. Something new and fresh that we haven't seen, a small ship with a small crew... or some new route that still honors the premise without asking for the stars. Something just a bit lighter then the Trek series we've seen before. Smart tight stories with allegorical intrique and danger, infused with science... but high energy adventure, and oh yeah: FUN !!!

I want Trek to smile again, TOS made me smile, Trek XI made me smile. A small show, shown anywhere, lofty goals need not matter.... don't put so much pressure on Trek, let the ol' girl breath new life.
Yug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2010, 11:00 PM   #104
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Wha? Syfy's no good cuz they changed their name?
No. It's no good cuz it sucks.

It would help if they just admitted to themselves that they are a channel that shows science fiction.

CW skews female? Smallville! Supernatural! Vampire Diaries!
If you look at their programming strategy as a whole, it is definitely female skewing. They have made no secret of their disdain for the too-male-skewing Smallville and Supernatural and in the future we can expect more emo vampire and bitchy high school girls. Not that I'm criticizing them. They're a small player up against bigger competitors and when a business is in that position, focusing on a narrow market is a good survival strategy.
But the CW is Paramount, anyhoo...
So?

Star Trek is a TV show, one that can easily be shown on any channel that will have it and pay for it, Spike, Syfy, CW.
It can't be shown on a channel that doesn't see the value in it and therefore won't buy it.
I don't deny that demographics plays a huge role, but honestly, Trek has a miriad of non demo specific but devoted followers.
Star Trek skews young male, which should be a benefit, since young males are difficult for advertisers to reach, so whoever is selling the show will definitely use that in their sales strategy. But it's much less of a benefit for the CW, which wants a female audience, and CBS, which is doing fine casting a wide net that skews older than the 18-49 demo. Star Trek fits much better with NBC and FOX's strategies. It's just bad luck that it happens to be owned by a corporation that doesn't value the very thing that competitors would value.

I wish CBS would just see the sense of selling Star Trek to a competitor that would value it. What's the point of hanging onto an asset you don't plan to capitalize? But there hasn't even been a rumor about that.

if Trek indeed has risen to some higher standard thanks to the new film, then it can do Premium cable too (maybe Cinemax).
It can't rise high enough for HBO and Showtime, whose strategy is to justify their prices by giving audiences stuff that they could never expect to get elsewhere on TV. However Starz and Cinemax are an interesting suggestion - they seem to be a step down from the real premium cable outlets. They might just bite.

In fact, maybe it's time to rebuild the franchise slowly and have some smaller form of Trek exist on tv for now, not make some huge production of it... a cgi series, a small budget live action series even.
Wrong strategy for Star Trek. Go big or don't go at all. It's had the stink of failure on it for many years and Abrams has finally erased that stink with a $150-million bubble bath. It would be absolutely insane for someone to come along and wipe out that expensive effort with a cheap-ass TV show, although Paramount paid for the bubble bath and CBS might not feel obligated to care what Paramount thinks about its brand sabotage.

Last edited by Temis the Vorta; January 17 2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old January 18 2010, 03:34 AM   #105
Lord Garth

10 years ago I would've said Sci-Fi. Five years ago I would've said Sci-Fi. That was then, this is now. Today I'll say AMC.