Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

View Poll Results: what TV channel do you think would be most realistic in 2010-2013?
Showtime - subscription TV channel (owned by CBS Corporation) 15 28.85%
Spike [formerly Spike TV] cable/satellite TV channel (a division of MTV Networks, owned by Viacom) 0 0%
SyFy - cable TV channel- (part of the entertainment conglomerate NBC Universal) 16 30.77%
CBS broadcast network (owned by CBS Corporation) 14 26.92%
The CW broadcast network (owned by CBS Corporation) 7 13.46%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 28 2010, 06:46 PM   #211
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Showtime

This is interesting news since CBS owns Showtime:

Showtime launches video streaming

Pay cabler will offer more than 400 hours of programming
Showtime's new Showtime Anytime video streaming service will allow subscribers to watch all of the net's programming online.
Showtime Anytime -- which is available through the pay cabler's cable, satellite and telco affiliates -- will offer more than 400 hours of Showtime series, movies, sports and other offerings.
Comcast customers can access the service now through Xfinity TV's online service at XfinityTV.com. Additional participating MSOs will be announced at a later date.
Showtime joins competing premium TV services Home Box Office, Starz and Epix, as well as such basic services as TBS, TNT, A&E and Discovery in offering TV Everywhere-based online services.
SOURCE

SHOWTIME subscribers have grown 30 percent in the past five years and the significant growth trend continues in 2010, finishing 2Q10 with 18.2 million subscribers,
from this week's PR release

So another words it would be possible for Trek to be on Showtime and also be able to be streamed online since it would technically be a premium cable channel. I'm not sure how this changes how people feel about paying a premium for Trek say for a subscription to Showtime$13./month x 12 months = $156./year if it were on Showtime vs. paying say $3./episode to just download/stream new episodes of Trek if not on premium cable TV.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2010, 12:18 AM   #212
StarshipDefiant
Captain

Re: What channel should a new Trek TV series be on?

Look at it this way, 156 a year and just watching Trek shows Showtime that people are interested and want it. Not to mention, there would probably be some storyline alternatives that couldn't be explored on network TV (and I refuse to believe that "Damn" and "Merde" is the only swear words Humans will use in the future) without changing too much what kind of a feel Trek has. Also, I think there could be a few more minutes of longer running time? That could be pretty good.

SyFy (I hate that name) would be the next alternative, because if it was a critical hit, the production staff could do what they want. Not to mention, given the nature of SyFy (though, I guess Showtime fits this bill as well), the series could receive lower ratings and still get a chance to run on air for multiple seasons (most shows I hear of getting canceled on there are getting under a million viewers per episode).

The other stuff, I could take it or leave it, Spike is alright enough, I guess, but CBS it self does episodic procedurals and CW does angsts shit.
StarshipDefiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2010, 03:20 PM   #213
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Spike TV still a possibility on cable in a few years

In a few years cable TV may be a different landscape.
Spike TV is already switching to an older audience

And here's something you don't see every day. As part of the network's rather unusual push to get older viewers, executive vp Sharon Levy touted the show's higher median age:

“Auction Hunters is among the new crop of Spike original series aimed at broadening the network’s audience," she said. "The show’s current median age is 39, five years older than the network’s current average age in 2010 for original series.
Spike Renews Auction Hunters, Touts Older Viewers
12/1/2010

via
Spike Looks for Older Viewers, Orders 20 More Episodes of 'Auction Hunters'
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2010, 08:47 PM   #214
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Showtime would be just peachy by me. I have to subscribe anyway, as long as Dexter is running, that's the one show I won't risk spoilers for.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2011, 04:44 PM   #215
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

TNT just announced a series Enigma that is coming from CBS Television Studios. While CBS might be less likely to air a franchise like Star Trek on another network, showing that they will sell any show to another network does give some hope that they would do the same with Star Trek. And I still think TNT is the best fit network for Star Trek.

A live action show on TNT and an animated series on Cartoon Network could be an interesting package deal for CBS and Turner to work out.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2011, 06:31 PM   #216
peteym5
Lieutenant

CW is my first choice. They just ended Smallville and majority of their programming has not been lasting too long. Their goal of appealing to young female demographic has not been paying off so they probably going to shift toward something else. Supernatural is still doing well, showing an interest in Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and Horror.

Second Choice is Syfy channel, they need a new space show now after messing up Stargate. A Trek show will draw in big numbers if done right. Copyright Ownership is irrelivant, CBS will make a new Star Trek if they have a buyer.
peteym5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2011, 07:36 AM   #217
Yevetha
Commodore

HBO?
Yevetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2011, 06:45 PM   #218
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Showtime is part of the CBS corporate empire. If they're doing a show for premium cable, why send it to the competition?

Their goal of appealing to young female demographic has not been paying off
Since when? They're doing more shows for that demo - branching from vampires into witches - so clearly they're happy with the strategy.

Second Choice is Syfy channel, they need a new space show now after messing up Stargate.
I doubt they think they "need" a space show at all. They might try one every now and then, but they're getting strong ratings off reality TV, wrestling and sf/f fluff.
Old July 6 2011, 05:57 PM   #219
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

USA just picked up Common Law, which is a CBS studios production. With CBS now producing shows for both USA and TNT, there is a better chance that they might consider producing a Star Trek show for one of them(or FX).
Old July 7 2011, 02:17 AM   #220
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Well at least the options are expanding. That's something.

USA would be as bad a place for Trek as CBS. Star Trek doesn't fit the cute 'n quirky template, and I'm pretty sure that sf/f genre stuff would be inherently a poor fit. (It's easy enough to envision sf/f done USA style - think Warehouse 13 or Eurkea - but I can't see USA opting for even sci fi that light, nevermind the kind with spaceships).

TNT has a successful sf series with aliens: Falling Skies. And that show also bodes poorly for Star Trek, if that's what the TNT audience wants. They're really piling on the Spielbergian schmaltz. Star Trek is not supposed to be a heartwarming family drama.

FX would be a great fit for the kind of Star Trek I'd like to see. It's not too highfalutin, but definitely a good place for intelligent, substantive drama.
Old July 7 2011, 03:08 AM   #221
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

Ya, I've never thought USA was a good fit, but with CBS producing for USA and TNT it shows they are willing to produce for basic cable channels owned by other companies. That includes FX with USA and TNT(technically SyFy too, but we'll ignore them for now).

In terms of TNT, I've preferred their stuff over FX. I'm not sure you can blame TNT for the schmaltz as much as Spielberg, and TNT just likes Spielberg. But I'd be happy to see a new Trek show on FX or TNT.
Old July 10 2011, 08:17 PM   #222
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I associate FX with grittier stuff like Sons of Anarchy and Archer - shows that I'd never dream of seeing on broadcast. Falling Skies seems like it could be on broadcast in terms of content (whether it could get survival level ratings is another matter). TNT shows like Hawthorne, Franklin & Bash and Leverage seem either broadcasty or somewhere inbetween broadcast and cable.
Old July 10 2011, 08:35 PM   #223
Thomas.B
Lieutenant

It should air on CBS. That would be best.
I don't care much for the CW. Where would they put a Trek series? "Stay tune after Hellcats for Star Trek," just doesn't sound right.
None of the cable outlets sounds like a good option. It would be worth considering a deal with TBS for running first run episodes because TBS is on almost all cable channel lineups.
Showtime? No thanks. With Netflix, I consider premium channels like HBO and Showtime a waste of money.

Last edited by Thomas.B; July 10 2011 at 08:38 PM. Reason: added a sentence.
Thomas.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2011, 02:38 AM   #224
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

Thomas, please read through all 15 pages and you will find posts explaining the pros/cons of all the options. But TBS really makes no sense whatsoever. TBS is purely focused on comedies. If Turner(TBS's owner) wants a drama, it goes on TNT not TBS. Also, TBS, TNT, FX, USA, and SyFy are all equally common in cable packages. There is no advantage to airing on TBS over one of the others.

In terms of Showtime, I tend to agree with you that I'd rather have Netflix when it comes to movies. However, that is why all the premium channels are investing in first run TV series now. When judged on movies, Netflix destroys them. However, if you want to see a TV show when it comes out your only option is to subscribe. It sucks for us to have to pay for the channel, but that's why HBO/Showtime can afford to spend what they do on their shows.
Old July 11 2011, 03:29 AM   #225
Thomas.B
Lieutenant

AviTrek wrote: View Post
Thomas, please read through all 15 pages and you will find posts explaining the pros/cons of all the options.
The original post posed a question. I just answered what I would prefer and gave my reasons. It isn't that deep of a topic that I felt like I had to read 15 pages of comments, mostly by people who are just giving views based on their opinions too.
Thomas.B is offline   Reply With Quote